AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have an older Yamaha RXV793 Receiver thats Dolby Digital and Im in the process of getting a new plasma, I also purchased the Polk Audio Rm10's with sub and I was wondering if there would be any advantage of getting a new receiver? Is dolby Digital still the best you can get? I hear things like Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES®, DTS Neo:6, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS 96/24 processing. I know my older receiver has Dolby Digital only and not Ex, DTS-ES etc? Any advantages? Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwmlw /forum/post/0

Whats DTS? Would I benefit using Directv HD and DVD if I buy a new receiver?

DTS is another form of digital audio compression. Most people seem to prefer a DTS track to a dolby one, but there are arguments over which is actually better. Many DVD's contain both Dolby and DTS tracks, while Directtv would only use Dolby.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There's no dramatic difference in DTS vs. Dolby Digital. As for EX, you would need to run two more speakers, something most people don't want to do for the handful of EX movies.

IIx is kind of like EX.

5.1 or 7.1 multichannel DTS 96/24 is good for a future upgrade to HD DVD or Blu-ray. If you are waiting on that to shake itself out, you can wait on a receiver that can do it. You can use Dolby Digital with those players though. I do with my XBox HD DVD player.

I would not upgrade just to upgrade if you are happy with your sound. I would only tell you to upgrade if you did not have Dolby Digital or really wanted to jump on the HDMI bandwagon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for taking the time out to help me, Its just been a while for me to keep track of all this. Married, kids etc. LOL. I would be using it strictly for DVD's every now and then and mostly Directv HD 99% of the time. So it sounds like all those dts etc wont do me any good as of right now anyway. I know on my Yamaha receiver it only has 2 digital inputs, 1 fiber optic and one coax. Thats the only thing that sucks, My DVD has to go to the TV input because the only fiber optic input is labeled DVD which is what my HD DVR has. So when I have the sitter over and she watches TV she has to hit the DVD input.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question please. I have the Polk Audio RM10 speakers and PSW10 sub. As far as the impedence selector goes can I set the receiver to 6 ohms or 8 ohms? What does that do? And the rear and main speker settings on my receiver are small and large? Do I set those to small?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.