AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V471 receiver and coupled it with the Polk Audio TL150 5 pack. I'm also using an older Polk Audio sub, that while still sounds pretty good, will be replaced very soon.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...v471_black__u/

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/blackstonetl/tl1.php

My question is: my receiver claims to do 525 watts total, at 105 watts per channel. My speakers, minus the sub, claim to do 525 watts total, at 100 watts per channel, with 125 watts going to the center speaker. I'm just wondering if my receiver is pushing that extra, unwanted 5 watts to my satellites, making them do 105 watts, or will it only give each channel what it can handle?

I have a feeling someone is reading this and snickering, but please bare with me, this is my first 'home theatre' purchase, heh. So two more annoying questions, and I'm done:

Does the subwoofer get any wattage from the receiver? It's only connected to it via Monster cable.

And lastly, did I make a good choice in marrying these two products?

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
I doubt your receiver is capable of more than 35-50 watts per channel regardless of what Yamaha says. But don't despair - your speakers are just fine being fed that wattage. More than likely you aren't using more than 5-10 watts per channel at what you think is high power. Thats a pretty typical power output for average listening. Only very power hungry speakers will use anything close to 100 watts. Much depends on the efficiency of the speakers.

Subwoofers get a line output voltage of around 1-5v since it amplifies the signal sent to it. Very little power comes from the AVR to the sub.

As long as you like the sound you are getting it's a marriage made in heaven.

·
Registered
29,310 Posts
you'll be lucky if the Yammy 471 does 45 watts/channel. It uses IC chips instead of having discrete amplification like their higher end models and only a 270 watt power supply. No way you get 105W x 5. It'll be a good match for your TL-150 speakers though.

I think I saw that combo in a Fry's ad yesterday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh... While that makes me feel better about not possibly blowing anything, I am now feeling a little underpowered.

I tried the YPAO calibration and kept getting the 'out of phase' message, even though everything was hooked up correctly. I read that that's a common problem, so I just quit without saving and manually entered in the size and distance information I got from that. I'd really like to know how to correct the issue though, as I'd like to be able to use some of the auto EQ options you get after completing that process.

Everything sounds pretty good for the most part, but I have noticed a few things I'd like to fix while playing PS3 games. Ex: in Street Fighter 4 the announcer talks during the fight, and he's completely washed out by the action on this setup. Also, I've noticed that I can't cycle through all the 'surround decode' options while playing PS3, it just goes to 'straight', and even then I can't go into setup and change what 'straight' is. I have to hit one of the AV buttons, cycle through the options in there, and when I come back to HDMI it's changed... Minor stuff that I know can be fixed, I'd just like to know how to do it, heh.

Any advice on messing with the tone options? I think I'd like to turn the bass up a few, but being a noob with this kind of stuff, I'm a little hesitant.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Speakers out of phase means one or more of your speakers are cross-wired. Trace your wires and see if the + on the receiver is connected to the + on the speakers and - connected to - etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Triple checked and everything is hooked up correctly. Like I said, I read up on this and it's apparently a common issue with YPAO. The only things it helped me with were distance and level settings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.