AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide on a replacement for my Samsung 24" LCD (PC monitor). I am looking for a 32" to wall mount and I am wondering which is my best option.

My primary use will be desktop use (internet browsing & desktop applications), followed by gaming, and occassionally watching bluray movies (via cheap internal Sony SATA player). My viewing distance is about 3-4 feet.

I have narrowed my search down to these 3 choices:

1) Samsung LN-32A550 @ $900

2) Samsung LN-32A650 @ $1000

3) Sony KDL-32XBR6 @ $1000

PS: I don't want all the comparison of 120hz vs 60hz, just which would you choose given what I am using it for and price breakdown.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoka /forum/post/14327336

Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide on a replacement for my Samsung 24" LCD (PC monitor). I am looking for a 32" to wall mount and I am wondering which is my best option.

My primary use will be desktop use (internet browsing & desktop applications), followed by gaming, and occassionally watching bluray movies (via cheap internal Sony SATA player). My viewing distance is about 3-4 feet.

I have narrowed my search down to these 3 choices:

1) Samsung LN-32A550 @ $900

2) Samsung LN-32A650 @ $1000

3) Sony KDL-32XBR6 @ $1000

PS: I don't want all the comparison of 120hz vs 60hz, just which would you choose given what I am using it for and price breakdown.

XBR6 may have better built-in sound system and more of a matte screen I believe if that matters to you.

I like both panels for secondary viewing as they'd be much too small for HT use IMO but with it being separate from my HT SS I personally would choose the XBR6 most likely because of it's SS capabilities for a built-in and my experience the Sony often does SD better.

Let your eyes and ears be the judge though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I decided on a Samsung LN40A750 which has been great. I actually picked it up a few months ago on Ebay and got 30% cash back so it was really cheap ($750). I also helped my brother get a Sony 40" Z-Line (KDL40Z4100) for around the same price. Here are my thoughs on both of the TVs.

The Samsung A750 is a solid TV, colors are bright and vivid, and it's great for my gaming and movie watching. The 2 main disappointments are, after comparing to the Sony, I feel the colors are somewhat more washed out (Colors on the Sony look a little better to me). Also, the reddish-tone TOC bezel looks cool on the Samsung but it seems to peel around the edges, which makes it look bad up-close. My last complaint was the 40" is too big for a PC monitor so I switched back to my 24" (I also made $250 in the process thanks to MS Live cash-back
).

Overall, I think both lcds are solid and if I had to pick again between the two, my main deciding factor would be price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts