AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many Tech's read this. Since you guys work on these TV's. Which brand do you like the most? Which brand do you think is best in quality and built the best in your opinion? Which look the best out-of-the-box? Which need the least "tweaking"? Which look the best after "tweaking"? Which has the most flexibility as far as "tweaking"?

Over all which brand do you like the best and why?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No takers huh. I didn't think it would be a good question. Would put these guys on the spot.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

All sets have their own list of positives and negatives. Often there is not a 1:1 correlation on these points so you have to weigh them yourself and decide.

Personal preference for RPTV is currently Panasonic, then Sony, then Pioneer, then Hitachi, ... and not Toshiba ...

Mits not available in Canada so I don't comment on that. Although a nice unit when calibrated properly.

Panny are most bang for buck ,but must be calibrated.

Pioneer/Hitachi are decent out of box ...

Sony ... variable ...

No brand needs less tweaking ... takes same time on all since things have to be double checked anyway.

Regards

·
Registered
381 Posts
Michael:

I'm perplexed. You used to be a huge proponent of Toshiba. Specially since they were so tweakable.

You scaring me man.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Hey paul ...

Current Toshibas with their 540 upconversion do not get my thumbs up. TV's come into and out of favour unfortunately.

As well, the pastel colour problem on some hitachis also get a bigger thumbs down from me.

For me ... if something that works at 90% efficiency and 100% efficiency cost the same, why would you buy 90%?

Pioneers are nice units but tend to be slightly over priced. Also known for unstable grayscales on a larger than normal % of sets.

Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael TLV
Hey paul ...

Current Toshibas with their 540 upconversion do not get my thumbs up. TV's come into and out of favour unfortunately.

As well, the pastel colour problem on some hitachis also get a bigger thumbs down from me.

For me ... if something that works at 90% efficiency and 100% efficiency cost the same, why would you buy 90%?

Pioneers are nice units but tend to be slightly over priced. Also known for unstable grayscales on a larger than normal % of sets.

Regards
Michael, I do not understand what you mean by the pastel color problem on some Hitachis. I have the 51SWX20B and have only done basic calibration and I think it is the riches colors I have seen on any RPTV. When I look at the sets in the stores, it is nothing compared to what I am getting on my set, what I'm getting is simply outstanding. So if you could explain yourself so I can understand what you're saying I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
My Hitachi isn't "fabulous" quite yet, but I don't understand this pastel thing either. I'm not doubting it, I'm just saying I haven't seen it and don't quite understand what is being described.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Please see the bumped thread from a while back for Hitachi Pasty colours.

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.