AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 12S1 is fresh off the boat. It does something odd and though and I've seen mention of this in one other post nobody has really addressed the issue. I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen. I'd like to know if your 12S1 does the same thing as mine.

Under the following conditions:

1) the 12S1 has been off for a while.

2) all your components (DVD, DSS, etc) are off and no source is supplying data to the projector.

When you first power on the PJ and hit the "Menu" button do you get a vertical white line through your image? I guess the line could be described as “clearâ€. You see some scan lines flashing in the line, but the color is not solid.

So far I've only tried this with component video. I've noticed that if my DVD player is running I don't see this problem, or it quickly disappears. If no source is active it doesn't seem to go away. The vendor from whom I purchased the unit is willing to take it back and exchange it for a new one. If this is a common problem I don't want to waste my time. Especially since my picture is fantastic, there are no dead pixels, and it doesn't seem to have the flicker problem that has been mentioned over and over and over. I’m afraid that if I return it the one I will receive in exchange will be worse.

Could you guys/gals try to recreate this problem with your 12S1?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
916 Posts
FYTON2V,

First of all, welcome to the "over $5K club". You now qualify for a permanent pass to this section of the forum. :D

To answer your question, I haven't seen what you're describing. Either way, your problem does go away, right? If it does, DON'T EXCHANGE THE UNIT! Maybe your projector is only squirrelly on startup and won't give you any more problems after that. This being said, enjoy it and don't fret about the startup thing. After all, you can't beat the image it puts out! (as I put on my flame suit)

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you type 'vertical' and mean 'horizontal'? Because depending on the DVD player, all the Marantz PJs show a large, horizontal, ghost band that looks like oversize scan lines. They do this when switching into component source if the source is a still image or blank. Once movement in the picture starts, 99% of the time it disappears in a second.

It does not do this on mine with a Pioneer or Toshiba player, but a Sony player does it on both PJs I have seen. It has never just 'shown up' in the middle of a movie or when one is paused, just when component input is selected. (And maybe only on 480i material?)

Its just a quirk that a lot of people have seen.

------------

Another Start Up Quirk to Note:

Now, what you may get over the next few days is a lamp warning flash and a failure to light. You will need to unplug the cord and plug it back in; maybe wait a few minutes. This seems to be an overly sensitive detector or something, and after a few power cycles it will stop. Mine did it three times in the first few weeks and then stopped, and another one I know did it twice.

Owning this thing is kind of like owning a Jag E-type V-12. Style, performance, and thanks to Lucas Electrics, you never know what might happen.

ALL the HD-1 projectors were rushed to market, and it shows. I am sure it is because they (Marantz, Seleco, Sharp, Runco, and DWIN) realized what a damn fine technology it is. When the dust settles, anyone with one of these units is going to be happy for a long time.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If I power my unit up with no components on I get the little square in the corner showing me what input I have selected. I get no lines of any kind. If I hit the menu button then I get the menu as you normally would. I have never seen any of the vert/horz. lines I read about here. When I switch source I may get a momentary pixelization while it syncs to the new source but that is about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was testing it out again last night and the problem didn't show up with my DVD player connected. Come to think of it... the only time I've been able to duplicate the problem is right after I've taken the PJ out of the box for testing purposes. I'm not done with my theater room and I've been keeping it in the box. Of the 3 times I've pulled it out of the box the line appeared twice. Both times the only thing connected to the PJ was power. No video connectors were attached. There was a nice line (or lack of a picture in the shape of a line) straight down the menu window.

Beats me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep. more testing has confirmed that my problem only appears if the PJ has been off overnight and is powered on without the DVD player being on too. Once the player is on, I can reset the PJ and the line is gone. Wierd, but I think I can live with it.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
That is very weird. Don't forget to ask Dan Miller about it in the special guests forum.

TM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.