AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Sampo 34" widescreen off of UBid this past weekend. The only way they'll ship it is with their "special shipping" which, according to the auction page, is supposed to take from 8-14 business days. I can deal with that.

Well, I just sent them an email, asking why I don't have a tracking number, and this was the reply I got:

Quote:
Please be informed that your order was shipped on 6/03/02 via Special

Shipping. We will not be able to provide you with the tracking number.
Please note that Special Shipping may take upto 30 days for delivery.
THIRTY DAYS??!! If the order has already been shipped, what in the world are they going to do with if for THIRTY DAYS -- take it on a world tour???!!! Jeez!

I know there are a few posters from this forum who have bought this exact same set from UBid. How long did it take for you to get it after it was shipped?

·
Registered
194 Posts
It took mine about 10 days from Ubid (Chicago I believe) to the SF Bay area. Be wary, however, about the service provided. There is no "white glove" service. Ubid LIES about this. I had to help them get the set off the truck, unpack it, and bring it into the house (took half a day off from work to do it). They left as soon as it was on the table. They did not hook up the set or test it. If they had, they would have found that there was no picture. Turns out there was a bad solder joint in a board (don't know if it was a shipping or manufacturing problem). Had to go thru Sampo to fix it (was under warranty but a real pain dealing with Sampo's trucking company). Ubid refused to deal with the problem of delivery of a dead set. Said it was Sampo's problem.

That said, the set works now and has a great picture. Got it at a good price- $1369 plus shipping, $20 less than yours I believe.

- Phil Klein

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got shafted by ubid on a 300 video card. it was never delivered and ubid

said "

Thank you for contacting uBid. We apologize for any inconvenience that

you may have experienced.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced on lot

number 526830529. uBid is not involved and does not participate in the

transaction between buyers and sellers" thanks for nothing ubid

·
Registered
381 Posts
Terry, Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, Ubid consumer exchange auctions are almost entirely scams. Avoid them like the plague.

As for Ubid direct auctions, I have been pleased with the service. Items I have bought have been delivered in any where from 2 days to 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Philip Klein
Be wary, however, about the service provided. There is no "white glove" service. Ubid LIES about this. I had to help them get the set off the truck, unpack it, and bring it into the house (took half a day off from work to do it). They left as soon as it was on the table. They did not hook up the set or test it.
Shipping stories for items like this are always not terribly user-friendly.

I bought my Sampo 34" direct from Sampo, who arranged to have it shipped to my apartment in Dallas. Well it turns out that "shipping" meant "to the curb", not up into my apartment. In theory, they wouldn't even bring it into my garage! I guess they thought they were shipping it to a retail store with a loading dock! They are not used to residential deliveries, although I made it quite clear when I bought it that I was a residential location.

Furthermore, I had to made arrangements for the local end of the trucking arrangement to bring it out with a tail-lift truck, so that they could get it off. I don't know how they expected to get it down with just one driver on the truck otherwise (that's what they had planned, along with a ramp), but they were quite put out by that request. I explained it would be impossible for one guy to get that box down a ramp and not lose it.

Finally, they sent two guys, and a tail-lift truck. And I paid them (privately) to open the box and carry the set up the stairs to my 2nd-floor apartment (no elevator) and into my living room where they placed it on my TV table. They couldn't have gotten the box through the front door (too wide), which is why they had to remove the TV from the box downstairs and bring it up the stairs "naked". I was terrified they would drop it, but they made it.

Remember, this set weighs about 190 pounds out of the box and is 29" deep. Handling, and getting it through your front door, is quite a trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.