AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a Monster AVL300 (no need for the monster bashing
, I just couldn't turn down an incredibly low price) to use with my A/V components. Because it has Z-wave technology, I've thought about putting adding a 3-way dimmer, but I have some questions about the Z-wave technology.

I'm looking at buying an Intermatic 3-way switch on Amazon. The part # is #HA20C. (Sorry, this is my first post, so I can't paste a link.)

Can I simply take out one of my 3-way switches and put this in its place ordo both of the 3-way switches need to have Z-wave technology? Also, I don't think I need some form of master controller/circuit board for the switch (other than the AVL300), but just want to confirm.

I know this may be a basic question, but I haven't found any good explanations for a novice so far.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I installed a similar switch, it was an Intermatic HA18C 3-way switch and not a dimmer (for CFL). I set it up using a Harmony 890 so the AVL300 is all you should need for that.

Yes, you can just remove one of your two current switches and replace it with this switch. However, you will more than likely not be able to just wire it the way you do a normal 3-way switch. You need to read and understand the wiring diagram in the instructions. I had to rewire the regular switch as well as the z-wave switch. I don't remember exactly what I did, but it took a few attempts and I had to make note of each wire and figure out what went where.

I think the other switch is wired to trigger the z-wave switch to turn the light on or off. In a normal 3-way wiring job either switch can turn the light on or off.

If it doesn't work at first don't give up.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstxatty /forum/post/18145403

That seems strange. So with a Z-wave 3-way switch, only one of the switches allows you to turn off the light by flipping the switch?

No. Both switches work. However, I think you have to wire it so that the other switch tells the z-wave switch to control the light. That is where the need to follow the instructions comes into play. This had to be wired differently than other regular 3-way dimmers that I have installed.

Once it is set up the switches behave as expected. What you will notice is that the z-wave switch will "click" when you use the other switch. That's why I think the other switch is wired to the z-wave one instead of straight to the light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/18145452

No. Both switches work. However, I think you have to wire it so that the other switch tells the z-wave switch to control the light. That is where the need to follow the instructions comes into play. This had to be wired differently than other regular 3-way dimmers that I have installed.

Once it is set up the switches behave as expected. What you will notice is that the z-wave switch will "click" when you use the other switch. That's why I think the other switch is wired to the z-wave one instead of straight to the light.

Okay. I'll try that. I noticed you indicated "CFL" in parenthesis above. Is there something special about the dimmer that is going to change the way I'm doing this?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstxatty /forum/post/18145488

Okay. I'll try that. I noticed you indicated "CFL" in parenthesis above. Is there something special about the dimmer that is going to change the way I'm doing this?

I doubt it. As long as you aren't using a dimmer on fluorecent lights you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.