AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a monitor capable of sending the highest resolution that I can send to my HDTV. I have not tried anything yet but read that you have to have a monitor capable of that resolution, plus the HDTV will accept signals at 60H or 30 Hz (for Interlaced or Progressive).

If all that's right (take it easy on me, I'm a newbie), then does the monitor have to be capable of outputting the resolution you want at the frequency the HDTV will accept? Or can you use one frequency for your monitor and then change it when you use powerstrip for the HDTV? And if so can anyone recommend a good monitor that will do that for at least a 1920 by 1440? Right now I'm looking at a Phillips 109B23.

Thanks.

Chris C.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think you might be a bit confused. The monitor does not output the video signal to your hdtv. The video card outputs the signal to your hdtv. Powerstrip is used to adjust how the video card outputs video. There is no need to buy a monitor if you plan on using your hdtv as your primary viewing.

Russ

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think he's talking about a monitor that can be used to test timings and resolutions (as recommended by the Karnis) before sending them to the HDTV?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
salsbst,

Perhaps, but he said "I would like to get a monitor capable of sending the highest resolution that I can send to my HDTV", which to me indicates a fundamental misunderstanding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It did sound that way (credit that to an early morning), but I did just want a monitor right now to test the resolutions before sending it to my tv. (It was from the Karnis thread). I figured if I wanted to send the best resolution possible I would need a good monitor to test that. Right now the best mine can do is 1024 X 768 (it's embarrassing), and I have a Geforce 4 TI4200 or a AIW 9700 pro card. Anyway, any suggestions and do I actually need a monitor to test a resolution (say 1920 by 1440 or thereabouts) before sending it to the TV?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi Chris,

I don't think you really need a new monitor, unless you're married and you're looking for an excuse to tell your wife why you need a new one. I used an old POS Packard Bell 1020 monitor when setting up my powerstrip timings. The way the image is displayed on your TV is most likely not going to be the same as the way it displays on the monitor. Just use the monitor to make sure the resolutions works, and then tweak it once you have the output going to the TV.

Sean.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If his monitor can't hack the resolution that he's setting up for his HDTV, then how can he use the monitor to test whether the resolution works? Sorry if I'm being numb. I've got the same question.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, I guess that's a good point. Maybe I jumped out there before thinking it all the way through.

I don't fully understand how powerstrip and the ATI drivers work together. My situation might be a little different. I connect my HTPC to my HDTV via DVI. While setting up my resolutions, I would have both the HDTV and PB monitor connected at the same time, with the DVI output selected as the primary display. I don't think my PB monitor supports 1920x1080I, but somehow, the ATI drivers (or something) would still display the output to the monitor in a smaller window with black bars all around.

I've never used a transcoder. Maybe you do need a monitor that will support the resolution. Pardon me for speaking before thinking,

Sean.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No foul, Sean. It sounds like your monitor does support 1080i. I know my monitor goes up to 1280 / 1080 and that I can't seem to accomplish 1920x1080i on it (although being a PowerStrip idiot it could be operator error).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going DVI also, but I've heard that's aa problem with ATI sometimes. I haven't tried it yet with this old monitor, but maybe I'll give it a whirl this weekend. I'm going to go ahead and get a new monitor anyway (the excuse I actually used was letting the old woman get mine, she needs one), so after reading the articles on HTPC's I thought I'd ask the question.

Just trying to get the best picture possible for Whenever HalfLife 2 finally comes out.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.