AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!...Quick question, I am using 2 subs, Velodyne cht-10 and Polk psw303 and when I set the volume with a spl meter to 72-75db should I set the Polk at a lower db setting than the Velodyne since the Velodyne is better, say for example the polk at 70db and velodyne at 75db??? The Velodyne is in the front of the room at 7.5ft away from listening position and is the same distance as the front mains and center. The Polk is directly behind my couch which would be about 2ft from listening position. It seems that maybe do to the distance difference between the 2 subs the polk sounds a little different :confused: (hard to explain) so thats why I was wondering if setting the db's lower on the polk would help???

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Calibrate the cht-10 to 75dB (you'll be 3dB hot because the RS meter is off by 3dB ) or 72dB to be right at 75dB. Then calibrate the psw303 the exact same way. For example if you calibrate the cht-10 to 75dB then calibrate the psw303 to 75dB. To ca;ibrate each sub individually just turn one off. After you calibrate to say 75dB individually then turn both subs on and check the spl. You'll get a free 3-6 dB higher reading just by using a second sub. Thats the nice thing about using two subs, you get free dB without putting any extra strain on the subs like you would by increasing the volume.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The way I did it with my setup.

I raised my biggest sub to 75dB, then I powered on my smallest and raised it until the SPL showed 76 db then backed down to 75dB with both on. In theory the smallest should be ~3dB lower. It does help because I've never heard my small sub bottom out since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.