AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mind u, i may not be putting this in the right forum, but i'll ask anyways(im new, sorry)..I'm in the market for a TV, well HDTV. But, the plasma screens are looking pretty sharp as well as semi-affordable. But im under the impression if u buy 1 at 3.5k, ur going to have to spend another 1k to enjoy it,soooo...My question for u guys is, what would u do, buy a plasma for 4k, or buy a 55-65" widescreen TV thats HDTV ready for the same price. What will be the more lasting purchase, or shall we say, what would be the overall "smart" buy???

Does any1 have a plasma screen, or a friend?

and the guys w/ the 50" and over, is it worth the doe for that size of a TV?

and buy the way, many of u guys said hitachi is a real good brand, but every time I look at a sony picture quality, it just always seems so clear, and the colors stand out?

sorry for the long thread, just need some advice....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Rookie most people here perfer dlp such as the new samsung or lcd as the new sony grand wega great pq no burn in to worry about. Plasma and conventional rear projection can suffer from burn in and other issues I suggest you go check them out at your local stores.

·
Registered
597 Posts
For me, I wouldn't go Plasma!

However, I am a newbie as well.

If you want the tv to last, I would suggest the Sony 50xbr800, for around $3,999(circuit city for example, however, get them to lower it by 10%, many on here have done this)!

Plasma screens lose PQ(picture quality) over time. I heard someone say they lose 15% of thier PQ after 2 years. If this is not correct please let me know. But this is what I have heard. Do you wanna buy a tv that will do that, or go with somewhat lesser quality 50xbr800, for less money, and not lose in PQ... Also, looking at the posts of the reviews of the 50xbr800 many people are AMAZED by its PQ especially considering HDTV....

If I had to pick between plasma and sony, I would go with the Sony; however, the other option is to wait to next year where possibly the "next big thing" will be out.

Toshiba Lcos is coming! Will it take over? it will be the first 1080p tv on the market, for around 5 grand next christmas(that is what I have heard). Currently 8 grand i think...

hope this helps a little, newbie to newbie :->

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
If you are specifically interested in plasma screens then check out the "Plasma and flat-panel LCD" forum that is one above this one on the menu.

I don't necessarily agree with ted08721 (must be a lot of Teds). The plasmas currently blow away the DLPs and LCDs in about every category, especially the higher-end ones. Just go into any decent A/V store and take a look. Where do you see the bright, deep, looking-through-a-window pictures? What tends to detract from the interest there is primarily that plasmas 1) don't come very cheap and 2) if they are affordable, don't come very big. I saw a Zenith 60" last week that looked wonderful, but for a very high price tag.

Yes, burn in is a risk with plasma, as it is with CRT-based RPTVs. However, with proper setup and viewing habits this is not a critical problem - unless you plan to spend most of your time playing video games, viewing a computer display, or watching CNN.

Net net: If I could afford a 60" plasma I would buy one. Since I cannot I am eagerly looking at the DLP and LCD technologies to provide an affordable option that has the side-benefit of no-burn-in and perhaps longer life.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wegafan
Plasma screens lose PQ(picture quality) over time. I heard someone say they lose 15% of thier PQ after 2 years.
I think this is reasonably accurate. However, the theoretical lifetime of the RP DLP and LCD-based sets has yet to be proven (I think the DLP chips are supposed to last around 100,000 -- that's a lot of watching!).

It is a trade off. Plasmas and CRTs will give you better depth of image (black levels, contrast ratio). Plasmas have a crisp, fixed pixel display. CRTs (many of them) appear softer. The highest end (e.g. Pioneer Elite) provide stunning pictures. Both of these technology options will dim over time.

As I said above, I am currently leaning toward DLP/LCD. I like the theory of quality and the pricing. If I had infinite money I would, however, probably grab up a high-end plasma or an x30 Pioneer Elite. Both appear to give me a quality picture without compromise. The "infinite money" takes care of them dimming over time, since I would just buy a new one :).

·
Registered
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
If you are specifically interested in plasma screens then check out the "Plasma and flat-panel LCD" forum that is one above this one on the menu.

I don't necessarily agree with ted08721 (must be a lot of Teds). The plasmas currently blow away the DLPs and LCDs in about every category, especially the higher-end ones. Just go into any decent A/V store and take a look. Where do you see the bright, deep, looking-through-a-window pictures? What tends to detract from the interest there is primarily that plasmas 1) don't come very cheap and 2) if they are affordable, don't come very big. I saw a Zenith 60" last week that looked wonderful, but for a very high price tag.

Yes, burn in is a risk with plasma, as it is with CRT-based RPTVs. However, with proper setup and viewing habits this is not a critical problem - unless you plan to spend most of your time playing video games, viewing a computer display, or watching CNN.

Net net: If I could afford a 60" plasma I would buy one. Since I cannot I am eagerly looking at the DLP and LCD technologies to provide an affordable option that has the side-benefit of no-burn-in and perhaps longer life.
Did not say anything negitive about plasma pq or other sets were as good or better reread post just said pq on dlp/lcd had great pq I have always been in awe of plasma pq and would consider buying one but to spend that much and worry about possibility of burn in on expensive set scares me note I said possible burn in.:eek: P.S. And whats wrong with CNN besides I really like Paula Zahn's new hair cut:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.