AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I got my Panasonic TC-P42G10 around 2.5 weeks ago. This was my first plasma and it was alot bigger than my 32" LCD that I previously had. Of course the night I got the TV, I was real pumped and got right into Rock Band 2 and Gears of War 2. 6 hours later I noticed some of the static images stayed present on my screen, even when watching tv shows or a movie. Since that night I ran the break-in slides for almost 100 hours and the images still show. I am afraid this IR is permanent. Now my question is, I am returning this TV. Should I get the 50" version of the G10 and properly run the break-in slides before doing any gaming whatsoever or should I go with the Samsung LN46B750 LCD. I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
It is more likely temporary, not permanent, and should resolve over time. You can read about it in numerous other threads (use the search function).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know how you managed to get any sort of IR in at all. On my Panny plasma I've played games for over 6 hours straight with not a hint of IR.

Because of this, I'd fully recommend getting another plasma and this time making sure that you properly break it in.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codexavellum /forum/post/17032483

Hey guys,

I got my Panasonic TC-P42G10 around 2.5 weeks ago. This was my first plasma and it was alot bigger than my 32" LCD that I previously had. Of course the night I got the TV, I was real pumped and got right into Rock Band 2 and Gears of War 2. 6 hours later I noticed some of the static images stayed present on my screen, even when watching tv shows or a movie. Since that night I ran the break-in slides for almost 100 hours and the images still show. I am afraid this IR is permanent. Now my question is, I am returning this TV. Should I get the 50" version of the G10 and properly run the break-in slides before doing any gaming whatsoever or should I go with the Samsung LN46B750 LCD. I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks everyone.

You have been thru this in the G thread. We told you it was IR and you needed to give it time to go away. We also told you that was "classy" to not follow the instructions of the manufacturer take a good set return it when nothing is wrong and get another one. We also told you you do not need to have contrast maxed or nearly as high as you did.

Nothing from here in this thread is going to be any different. The same people reading the other thread will read this one.

We are the same people.

To answer your new question Sammy is worse with IR and possible burn

·
Registered
6,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike /forum/post/17038125

To answer your new question Sammy is worse with IR and possible burn

........I don't necessarily believe this statement to hold much truth though. Do you have a link to some sort of comparison article between IR on a Panny and Samsung?

Or an article discussing the number of Samsung owners complaining of IR vs. Panny owners?

As far as I am concerned, that statement seems completely based on assumption, as my Samsung Plasma has not had a single hint of medium-high IR. The worst my Samsung has ever gotten was slight IR I had after playing 8 straight hours of Fallout 3. And that IR went away within the first minute of watching an HD Movie on Starz.

And to top it off, I didn't break-in my TV with slides or any of that other BS. I merely used my TV in a smart manner for the first 100 hours: Full screen content and gaming sessions under 5 hours.

Since then, I have had static images ranging from game HUD's, to my Denon AVR1910 OSD Menu, to a good 9 hours of accidentally leaving Sportscenter on when I went to work.

And no IR that lasts more then a 1-2 minutes, max.

So again, where is the basis for this claim?

I'd love to see people use actual facts to back up Samsung vs. Panny claims/likes/dislikes for once (besides the very helpful calibrators and non-biased members of these forums, of course.)

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
First, the OP is asking between a Panny plasma and a Samsung LCD. Obviously the Sammy LCD would not suffer from any IR. BigCoolJesus, if you read all the Panny and Sammy plasma threads, you will see more complaints about temporary IR with Sammy than Panny, but it certainly can happen with any brand, will not occur with every display bought (the fact that you have not seen it with your TV does not make it untrue), and should not lead to permanent IR with any of today's plasmas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts