AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone here,

This is my first post so please bear with me...

I am in the market for a new television and have decided to purchase a Sony kdl-55nx810 55 inch. I currently use my television as my PC monitor and plan to do the same once my new tv arrives. My question is concerning 3D content and I have seen both Full and Half SBS, and i gather that full sbs is identical to 3DBluRay quality.

In my PC i have a radeon 5850 graphics card I am curious if I am able to play full sbs mkv files on my computer and view them in full 1080p 3D on my television using Active Shutter glasses.

I guess i actually have many questions, and would like to also know if it is possible to have 3Dbluray quality from a mkv file, and if so, how can i play these files on my television without burning to a bluray disc. I am able to mount bluray disc image files, but due to there size would rather use .mkv.

If anyone can be of assistance that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You need to have an HDMI 1.4a compatible graphics card if you want to use your TV AND your TV's active shutter glasses.

The Radeon card you have is an older model that does not have HDMI 1.4a support. You need to upgrade. Nvidia and AMD both have cards that do HDMI 1.4a.

You can easily have high quality full sbs mkv's that will be very difficult to distinguish from the full 3d bluray iso.

My 55Nx810 is arriving in two days- I had to buy it for $1799 using the now dead black friday deal. In preparation, I also got an LG bluray rewriter and an Nvidia GT430 for 3d playback using my HTPC.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:
To make 3d work with a TV (not a monitor) and use the 3d glasses of the TV, then you NEED hdmi 1.4.

Period.

If I am incorrect, please show me how this is attainable without using a graphics card that does not natively support HDMI 1.4a. Remember, we are outputting to a 3D TV and using the TV's 3D sync emitter to drive the TV's 3D glasses.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMafia
You need to have an HDMI 1.4a compatible graphics card if you want to use your TV AND your TV's active shutter glasses.

The Radeon card you have is an older model that does not have HDMI 1.4a support. You need to upgrade. Nvidia and AMD both have cards that do HDMI 1.4a.

You can easily have high quality full sbs mkv's that will be very difficult to distinguish from the full 3d bluray iso.

My 55Nx810 is arriving in two days- I had to buy it for $1799 using the now dead black friday deal. In preparation, I also got an LG bluray rewriter and an Nvidia GT430 for 3d playback using my HTPC.
/ok so as long as i have a full sbs mkv and i am connecting my graphics card to my television via HDMI1.4a i can use my glasses and view images that are comparable to 3dbluray. Also, what is the BEST software right now to play both 3d mkv and 3dbluray?

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMafia /forum/post/19605146

To make 3d work with a TV (not a monitor) and use the 3d glasses of the TV, then you NEED hdmi 1.4.

Period.

If I am incorrect, please show me how this is attainable without using a graphics card that does not natively support HDMI 1.4a. Remember, we are outputting to a 3D TV and using the TV's 3D sync emitter to drive the TV's 3D glasses.

The only other way is if the display accepts the checkerboard format.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:

Period.

So where do we find a list of cards that have hdmi 1.4a output? My Radeon 4670's advertise 3d capability, but I cannot determine what output the port is....I've searched the company site, and many others, but can't figure out which it is. Also, how do you determine if a cable is 1.4a or not? They are HDMI output cards as well....

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernninja /forum/post/19610722

So where do we find a list of cards that have hdmi 1.4a output? My Radeon 4670's advertise 3d capability, but I cannot determine what output the port is....I've searched the company site, and many others, but can't figure out which it is. Also, how do you determine if a cable is 1.4a or not? They are HDMI output cards as well....

For ATI, only the 6000-series have 1.4a (or psuedo 1.4a, I don't think they have the ethernet or audio "backtalk" feature). Basically like the PS3. Technically, I believe the 5000-series are capable.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19617066

For ATI, only the 6000-series have 1.4a (or psuedo 1.4a, I don't think they have the ethernet or audio "backtalk" feature). Basically like the PS3. Technically, I believe the 5000-series are capable.

Not for 3D Blu-ray, according to their site. Even the 6000 series doesn't work well with 3D, according to Petri (an AVS member and tech reviewer from Finland) who was a beta tester for the Radeon 6000 cards for AMD as late as October. He recommends the nVidia cards (460) although several people here at 3D Central are using the nVidia 430 card with 3D Blu-ray. I'm picking one up from my local Micro Center tomorrow for $60.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/19617666

Not for 3D Blu-ray, according to their site. Even the 6000 series doesn't work well with 3D, according to Petri (an AVS member and tech reviewer from Finland) who was a beta tester for the Radeon 6000 cards for AMD as late as October. He recommends the nVidia cards (460) although several people here at 3D Central are using the nVidia 430 card with 3D Blu-ray. I'm picking one up from my local Micro Center tomorrow for $60.

That's simply a driver issue (on ATI's side and software vendors), as it's in the spec for the 6000-series cards.

But, I know what you're saying as of today, as I actually switched from a HD2900XT to a GT240 just last month, since it handles MVC hardware acceleration (the only nvidia 200 series card that does).

Gotta say, I miss CCC, nvidia's control panel doesn't even have hotkeys for switching resolutions. I'll probably switch back to ATI once the drivers are up to par.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19617720

That's simply a driver issue (on ATI's side and software vendors), as it's in the spec for the 6000-series cards.

But, I know what you're saying as of today, as I actually switched from a HD2900XT to a GT240 just last month, since it handles MVC hardware acceleration (the only nvidia 200 series card that does).

Gotta say, I miss CCC, nvidia's control panel doesn't even have hotkeys for switching resolutions. I'll probably switch back to ATI once the drivers are up to par.

Ouch. I have 24p/60p hotkeys (and icons on the desktop) to make that easy. How about switching between HDMI video/PC levels?

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/19617912

Ouch. I have 24p/60p hotkeys (and icons on the desktop) to make that easy. How about switching between HDMI video/PC levels?

Negative, can't do that either.

I had to find a program called "Hotkey Resolution Changer" to fix my problem with changing resolutions.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19617950

Negative, can't do that either.

I had to find a program called "Hotkey Resolution Changer" to fix my problem with changing resolutions.
There's no ability to change between Video/PC HDMI levels? That's crazy. I have to rethink my switch to nVidia.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/19622099

There's no ability to change between Video/PC HDMI levels? That's crazy. I have to rethink my switch to nVidia.

Not via hotkey. They use to be able to, but nvidia pulled their "nview" feature from the Forceware drivers. Now, it's only able to be used by their workstation GPUs. From what I've read, it's been this way for a little over a year now. Freakin' retarded.

Going back to ATI myself once they get their drivers worked out for 3D BD, will give the GT240 to a family member.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19622601

Not via hotkey. They use to be able to, but nvidia pulled their "nview" feature from the Forceware drivers. Now, it's only able to be used by their workstation GPUs. From what I've read, it's been this way for a little over a year now. Freakin' retarded.

Going back to ATI myself once they get their drivers worked out for 3D BD, will give the GT240 to a family member.

Everybody needs that feature. That's ridiculous. I can do all those things with an ATI card.
I can wait for ATI to work the driver issues. There's nothing urgent about having my HTPC play back 3D. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:

Period.

Sigh, why is there so much misinformation. There are countless posts on the internet talking about full HD SBS with HDMI 1.3. PS3 being one of them. Where is the truth?

·
Registered
772 Posts

Quote:
Sigh, why is there so much misinformation. There are countless posts on the internet talking about full HD SBS with HDMI 1.3. PS3 being one of them. Where is the truth?

I meant 3dBlurays- sorry I should have been more specific.

To play a 3D Bluray Disc, either the physical disc or an ISO image on a computer or HTPC to a 3D TV using the 3D TV's glasses, you will need HDMI 1.4a.

However, as bfreshour correctly states, you can play ripped full HD SBS without HDMI 1.4a.

So, yes, you can download and play full HD 3D on your computer to your TV without HDMI 1.4a.

You just can't play any actual 3D Bluray discs or ISO images from your computer to your 3D TV and use the 3D TV's glasses unless you output HDMI 1.4a.

In my HTPC setup, I wanted to be able to play BOTH downloaded 3D content AND actual 3DBluray discs (I don't have a 3D Bluray player) using my NX810 and its glasses.

I hope that clears this up.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.