AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about purchasing the HTR - 6090 yamaha receiver and Mitsubishi HD1000U Projector.

I wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see if there are any problems associated with my setup. I will be running around a 15' hdmi cable from the Yamaha receiver to the projectorthis will be the only video cable running to the projector. I will be connecting my progressive scan Samsung DVD-P241 player ( Component Video), Dish Network HD Receiver VIP211 (HDMI), XBOX Gen 1 (Component Video), and my PC which has a DVI output (Will I need a converter here? The Receiver does not have a DVI in).

Since the receiver upconverts, how does that effect the progressive scan dvd player?

Do any of you see any problems with this set up?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
So let me get this straight (for my own edification)...

This receiver can convert analog component to digital HDMI??

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
ALWAYS run the HDMI (or any video sources like component, Svideo, composite) straight from the devices to the PJ and use the receiver for audio switching only. Minimize cable length and maximize cable quality if you can (monoprice has good bang-for-buck cabling)

This particular receiver does 2 in/1 out HDMI switching and does NOT convert any analog to digital. If you need it for switching 2 HDMI sources (like your HD receiver and HDMI upconverting DVD player) then use very short HDMI cables (3 foot or less) from the 2 devices into your receiver and then the longer HDMI cable to your HD1000u. If you want to use your PC then get a 3 foot (or less) DVI->HDMI cable instead into your receiver HDMI input (no room for HDMI DVD player).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Huey. I was thinking this would be quite a leap towards HD recording if this were possible. LOL didn't think it would do it but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

It sounds like what he wants to do, conceptually, won't work (no conversion) which is what I thought.

Thanks.

-bob

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleze /forum/post/0

Thanks Huey. What I am trying to acomplish is run all my peripherals to the reciever and run only one HDMI cable to the projector. Is the 6090 not what I need?

The 6090 is basically the mass-market version of the RX-V1700 (they both even use the same firmware updates).

The 6090 will convert analog video to output at the HDMI out jack. You need to follow the instructions on page 97 to adjust the setup for Component Interlace/progressive Up-conversion and for HDMI Interlace/progressive up-conversion. Whe set up the set can do the following:

480i analog video is deinterlaced and converted to 480p HDMI

480p analog video is converted to digital 480p HDMI

720p/1080i/1080p analog video is converted to digital at the same res as inpot on the HDMI out. (manual say quality may worsen I don't see that with my older RXV-1600 going to my Mitsubishi).

One note -- I ran both an HDMI cable and a set of Component cables to my HD1000 so that I can still use the analog settings on the Mits occassionally (some of the settings are disabled on digital inputs and on certain resolutons on the Mitsubishi). My cable to the projector is 35' and my HDMI input cables to the Yamaha are 6 ' and I have had no issues at that length.

One more note Yamaha does not convert any analog audio to digital outs so the HDMI cable will not have audio in it when watching analog sources -- this isn't a problem for projector owners but can be for watching on an HDMI tv where you are trying to use the tvs sound without running extra audio cables.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleze /forum/post/0

Thanks Paul. Sounds like it would be smart to run component cables too. Do you think the Yamaha 6090 is the best bet for me or is there something else you would reccomend?

I have really liked both my older RX-V2400 and my new to me RX-V1600 currently I would stick with Yamaha for anywhere I wanted to have home theater sound. I would have liked the extra HDMI upscaling in the RX-V2700 (it can scale analog 480i to 720p,1080i or 1080p instead of just to 480p) but I didn't like the price.

As far as I know the 6090 adds XM-HD, and IPOD dock capablities beyond my 1600 so it would be a very similar receiver to mine and should work well with your Mits.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer /forum/post/0

Thanks for the clarification, Huey. I was thinking this would be quite a leap towards HD recording if this were possible. LOL didn't think it would do it but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

It sounds like what he wants to do, conceptually, won't work (no conversion) which is what I thought.

Thanks.

-bob

My HTR 5990 (Older model) does convert/switch and so should the newer model. I use one hdmi output (from AVR) to M1 adapter at SP 4805 PJ. Everything else (Laser disk, VCR, 2 DVD players and comcast box all connect through the Yammy AVR using s-video, composite, component and hdmi inputs. It works like a charm, love it for the ease of switching inputs and the great sound it produces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Paul,

I noticed that you own the Yammy RX-V1600. Do you use it with your Mits? The reason why I ask is that I have the same components. I'm building an entertainment room in my basement(not done yet) and I'm setting up a theater there. This being my first projector, I'm looking for some guidance on how to hook it up. I did buy a HDMI cable to run from the mits to the Yam, but unclear as to what other cables to run. I think another HDMI cable from yam to dvd player? I'm assuming optics cable from DVD player to yam for sound.

Also I currently have a progressive scan dvd player that I plan on replacing but unsure which you to buy. Probably not HDDVD or Blueray yet. But an upconverting player with HDMI Are you using a upconverting dvd player?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
How is the PQ for the analog->digital conversion? What resolution is the HDMI (480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i?)

I read the specs online and thought it's merely a HDMI switcher and not a true converter. Sorry for the confusion. Sounds like a good receiver and worth the money if the PQ of conversion is good (save from having to buy external scaler).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.