AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started to calibrate my TV, and have some questions.

1. I have a very strong halogen light behind the TV, brighter than the screen. Is it better to have a completely dark room rather to have a strong light behind? If I remove it, I have the (maybe wrong) feeling that the TV will strain my eyes.

2. I have a 26" LCD Tv. I would like to know how far should I sit from the TV. Right now I'm at 2 meters (6.56 ft).

3. Contrast & backlight. In the majority of the threads I've read, people say It's better to leave it very low, and play with the contrast. The problem is that if I set the contrast high, the peak white in some scenes really hurts my eyes. But, if I turn it down, I seem to lose detail on the "mid-tones".

4. What would be the recommended lighting for my situation?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Use a test disc to determine best contrast and brightness settings. AVSHD anyone? THX optimizer?

Distance from screen 1 to 3 x image height to see all the detail that the tv has to offer on hd signals.

TV like this should not be watched in complete darkness. A bias light of some kind ... behind the tv is preferable for.

Or else it becomes a Doctor .. it hurts when I hit myself like this ... well stop doing it then ...

regards

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/17004317

Distance from screen 1 to 3 x image height to see all the detail that the tv has to offer on hd signals.

I didn't get this XD (sorry but I don't speak/read English very well).

I have two calibration discs (DVE standard "DVD" edition) and the Monster/ISF one (with Jenna Drey XD). In the black level setting, I get a different setting in each one. How is this possible?

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
The light behind the TV should be about 10% of the brightness of the TV (for 100% white measurements. So if 100% white measured 120 cd/m2, then the light behind the TV should measure about 12 cd/m2.

If this is a 1080p video display and 26" diagonal, the best viewing distance is 2.9 feet or 0.9m. If it is a 720p display, the best viewing distances would be a little larger (maybe 3.5 feet or 1.1 or 1.2 meters).

Eyestrain will be obvious after a 2 hour movie if the screen is too bright and the room is too dark. Eyestrain does NOT damage your eyes - it is only uncomfortable. The goal is to make the images bright enough to look good with the light in the room at the best possible level. Bias lighting should never be "strong", it should always be comfortable and not too bright - much darker than 100% white on the screen.

Black level setting - the 2 discs should not produce a setting difference that is more than 1 or 2 "clicks" different (like "50" for one disc and "52" for the other disc). The difference is that the DVE disc is using a pattern with 0% and +4% patterns. The Monster disc is using an image with 0% to 100% and no steps. Some people make the 4% bar in the DVE disc too dim because the instructions are misleading... the 4% bar should be more than "just barely visible"... a 1% bar should be "just barely visible", a 4% bar should be brighter than a 1% bar. So many people would make the Brightness setting for the DVE disc "50" but when they look at the Monster disc with the image that has black and white and some color in it, the setting probably needs to be more like "52" to see all the details in the black shirt. If you then go back to look at the 4% bar in the PLUGE pattern the 0% bar should still be "invisible" while the 4% bar will look "obvious" instead of "just barely visible" - that would mean you have a better setting for the Brightness control using both discs for reference.

If the difference you see is more than 2 "clicks" of the Brightness control, something is definitely strange with your system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn /forum/post/17010239

The light behind the TV should be about 10% of the brightness of the TV (for 100% white measurements. So if 100% white measured 120 cd/m2, then the light behind the TV should measure about 12 cd/m2.

If this is a 1080p video display and 26" diagonal, the best viewing distance is 2.9 feet or 0.9m. If it is a 720p display, the best viewing distances would be a little larger (maybe 3.5 feet or 1.1 or 1.2 meters).

Eyestrain will be obvious after a 2 hour movie if the screen is too bright and the room is too dark. Eyestrain does NOT damage your eyes - it is only uncomfortable. The goal is to make the images bright enough to look good with the light in the room at the best possible level. Bias lighting should never be "strong", it should always be comfortable and not too bright - much darker than 100% white on the screen.

Black level setting - the 2 discs should not produce a setting difference that is more than 1 or 2 "clicks" different (like "50" for one disc and "52" for the other disc). The difference is that the DVE disc is using a pattern with 0% and +4% patterns. The Monster disc is using an image with 0% to 100% and no steps. Some people make the 4% bar in the DVE disc too dim because the instructions are misleading... the 4% bar should be more than "just barely visible"... a 1% bar should be "just barely visible", a 4% bar should be brighter than a 1% bar. So many people would make the Brightness setting for the DVE disc "50" but when they look at the Monster disc with the image that has black and white and some color in it, the setting probably needs to be more like "52" to see all the details in the black shirt. If you then go back to look at the 4% bar in the PLUGE pattern the 0% bar should still be "invisible" while the 4% bar will look "obvious" instead of "just barely visible" - that would mean you have a better setting for the Brightness control using both discs for reference.

If the difference you see is more than 2 "clicks" of the Brightness control, something is definitely strange with your system.

Thanks, very well explained.

About the black level difference: could it be because one disc is PAL and the other is NTSC?

Anyway, the difference between both is 6 clicks. I think it may be related to my videocard, I've got an old Ati X600 through VGA.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
There probably is a black level difference if the discs are PAL and North American NTSC. NTSC from Japan should have the same black level as PAL.

If you set the black level for the PAL disc to be correct and switch to the NTSC disc, the "blacks" from the NTSC disc will be charcoal gray rather than black (assuming a North American NTSC disc).

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn /forum/post/17020203

There probably is a black level difference if the discs are PAL and North American NTSC. NTSC from Japan should have the same black level as PAL.

If you set the black level for the PAL disc to be correct and switch to the NTSC disc, the "blacks" from the NTSC disc will be charcoal gray rather than black (assuming a North American NTSC disc).

This has absolutely nothing to do with the disc. The discs are encoded exactly the same regardless. Those are analog standard differences, and are not related to the disc at all, unless a player is changing its analog output standard based on the disc format, which is unlikely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts