AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a local (Gaithersburg, MD area) company that install a OTA rooftop antenna as well as upgrade an 18" DTV dish (also on the roof) with an elliptical dish. I bought an RCA Plus dish at Walmart for $97. I don't have an OTA antenna yet. I also don't have a HD receiver yet, but was considering the Hughes E86 from ABT Electronics for $527. It's supposedly the same unit as the Mitsubishi. Any thoughts?

------------------

Henry

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi hmil,

I also ordered the Hughes E86 from ABT Electronics because I knew it was the same as the Mitsubishi and Toshiba and could not figure out why it was so much cheaper.

After receiving the STB and fiddling with it for a few days, I went back to the ABT web page to look up some specs when I suddenly realized that they had some "not too fine print" that I somehow missed a few days earlier. It looks like you get the $527 pricing only if you subscribe to DirecTV using ABT Electronics as a referral. There's a $150 or $250 (depending on what part of the page you read) surcharge if you do not subscribe within a month. Most of the fine print is on the bottom of the page after the specs.

I called their customer service to confirm and I ended up returning the unit.

[This message has been edited by Toyman (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. I had emailed them to ask about that and they sent me a very misleading answer. Basically, they said I just needed to activate it, but that the price was the same for everyone. Thanks for letting me know.

------------------

Henry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.