AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK hopefully someone here can give me some guidance as to what I need.

I just downloaded a file from Vimeo that I would like to share with my extended family. Don't worry this video was posted for my use so I am not violating any copyrights here. The source video was recorded at 720P and the file I downloaded from Vimeo is an mp4 filetype. What I would like to do is burn copies of this video to Blu-ray using the writer in my PC. So what I am here to ask is what is the native file format used on commercially produced blu-rays? Is there a converter I could download that would allow me to convert the mp4 file into whatever file format I may need for the blu-rays I will be creating. Basically I want to write BR discs that any of my relatives can pop into their own BR players and the player will just load up the video and start playing it. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Can you view the MP4 file with something like MediaInfo and post the results here? Most Blu-ray players will play MP4 files automatically, so assuming your player is able to do that, I would advise you not to change anything and to simply burn the MP4 file itself. There's likely no reason to convert to BDMV, as doing so would require you to transcode to meet BDMV's rather stupid restrictions. Most Blu-ray players will play MP4 files that don't abide by the restrictions of BDMV.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you do need to make a proper bluray disc try tsmuxer its free see if its happy with the video file and select make bluray file structure then use img burn also free to burn to disc. If tsmuxer is not compatiable with file you will need to reencode it first.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I am not absolutely sure, haven't been keeping up, but stand-alone BR players may NOT play burned discs. To be sure, you have to google the manual for each players and find out. A pain to be sure.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Try IMGBUR . The guy and his software has been around forever. I've never had any issues burning DVD or BDs using this utility.

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
I am not absolutely sure, haven't been keeping up, but stand-alone BR players may NOT play burned discs. To be sure, you have to google the manual for each players and find out. A pain to be sure.
Only the 1st Gen players won't read BD-R/RE discs. Modern players can all read them without problems as long as the discs are properly authored.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
OK hopefully someone here can give me some guidance as to what I need.

I just downloaded a file from Vimeo that I would like to share with my extended family. Don't worry this video was posted for my use so I am not violating any copyrights here. The source video was recorded at 720P and the file I downloaded from Vimeo is an mp4 filetype. What I would like to do is burn copies of this video to Blu-ray using the writer in my PC. So what I am here to ask is what is the native file format used on commercially produced blu-rays? Is there a converter I could download that would allow me to convert the mp4 file into whatever file format I may need for the blu-rays I will be creating. Basically I want to write BR discs that any of my relatives can pop into their own BR players and the player will just load up the video and start playing it. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
You can just burn the file to the disc. No additional steps are needed as any modern BD player can play an MP4 file from disc or USB source. However, you may also simply give them the file on a flash drive or put it online for them to download and they can put it on a flash drive to play it through the BD player.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to all who provided suggestions.

@LexInVa That is what I was not certain of. I own Oppo players myself, and they will play anything I throw at them. I am going to make copies of this video to send out to extended family members, so I have no idea what brands/models of BR players everyone is using. I just figured if I converted the MP4 to the file format that is used on commercial blu-rays then the discs I send out would load up and play in anyone's BR player. If late model players are all capable of playing MP4 files then that is good new for me (less work involved in getting this done).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@OP -- This was the simplest answer--did you try it?

If the audio & video are already BD-compatible you only need to burn the result and it should work on most every player.
Laserfan, No have not tried yet. It was just yesterday (03-16) that I saw the responses. Last night I tired to burn the MP4 file and discovered that even though my PC has a disc drive that can burn blu-rays, the computer does not have any software to do this with. Right now I am looking at Imgburn, or possibly purchasing a copy of Leawo Blu-ray copy software.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
+1 for ImgBurn. Quick question though, how big is the file? Would it fit on a DVD (~4.7GB) or dual layer DVD (~8.5GB)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts