AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have a bunch of questions about CD Audio quality, and the best way to listen.

If I play a CD in a DVD or CD player connected to my receiver via digital inputs, the digital stream is passed to the receiver where it's run through the receiver's DAC, correct?

If I play a CD or DVD in a player connected via analog inputs, then the audio is processed by the player's DAC, and the receiver's just acting as an amp, correct?

If that's the case, how can I tell if my receiver or the player has a "better" DAC?

Also, how can I compare a DVD player and a CD player for CD-A playing? I've read in reviews that certain DVD players sound better than others for CD-A output, but how do they stack up against dedicated CD players?

(I know I didn't specify any models, I'm just trying to get a general Idea)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You're correct about the DAC's. What I normally do (to A/B test) is run a digital cable to my DVD input and an analog cable to my CD input. Then I can switch back and forth using the remote. As long as you're familiar with the music you should notice a difference if there is one. High-end CD players will generally be better than a DVD player but if you're using digital outputs than it's the DAC's in the receiver that matter most. There's not a simple way to tell which is better, you've got to trust your ears.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Don't forget to match levels between inputs, otherwise the way our brain works we usually tend to favor the louder of the two as being better.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.