AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this "scene" and I've just aquired a Panasonic 61" LCD Rear projection set. I've done some searching on here and the web, but haven't gotten the exact answers I'm hunting for.

It has a VGA connection on the unit and it claims to support 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 (with a * next to 1024x768 indicating it might be a fuzzy picture).

However, the LCD panel has a native resolution of 1280x720. Can I use the resolution?

All of my systems have analog VGA, so I can't try DVI-HDMI yet. I have system with an Nvidia GEForce4 Ti4200 and a laptop with an Nvidia go5200.

Any thoughts, experiences or ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Plug that VGA in, set res to [email protected] Check your manual for PC connections...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The TV has a VGA connection in the front, but the manual says the resolutions are 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. But the panel's resolution is 1280x720. Guess I'll have to contact Panasonic for a definitive answer if this would work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I set the display to 1280x1024 @ 60 and gave it a whirl. Got a picture, but it was clearly out of sync.

Moved back to 1024x768 @ 60 and that works perfectly. However, my video doesn't fill the screen anymore.

Anybody have any ideas here?

I'm using an Nvidia Ti4200 w/ the latest drivers that support HD resolutions.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Instead of 1280x1024 try 1280x720. I have a panasonic 60" LCD RP and it worked quite well at 1280x720 VGA. I'm currently running that resolution through the DVI input and it is beautiful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using 1280x720. This is thru the front VGA connector though.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get a DVI board if I want to get 1280x720.

Doug

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, a bit more detail.

According to this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=414371

The panasonic RPTV in that thread can do [email protected] from the PC input.

HOWEVER, that is a RGB input, not a VGA input. It explicitly calls out in the manual that it can handle 1280x720. The newer unit that I have cannot do this thru the VGA, only 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480.

I guess I could get a VGA to component adapter or get a video card with DVI out and a DVI-HDMI cable to get 720p or better.

Interestingly enough, it will display 1920x1080i, but with some overscan.

Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same model TV as Dallas Jose only bigger. I just checked my manual and found a couple of surprising things. First, as you said, it has an RGB connector. I never really paid attention, just assumed it was VGA. Second, the manual does *not* list [email protected] as an accepted input through the RGB. 1024x768 is the highest resolution listed for that input.

This is pretty bizzare. I'm pretty sure I ran 1280x720 through the RGB until I upgraded to a video card with DVI output. I'll try to get behind it tomorrow and hook up the VGA/RGB/whatever connection it has and see what happens.

Just a thought...have you tried some of the updated video card drivers out there? I'm currently using XG-76.44_ HD from guru3d.com and have been pleased with it. I don't know if it would make a difference but might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the manual for the set that Jose_Dallas has and it does in fact list 1280x720, but under the 720p input for RGB.

For right now, I solved this by using 1024x768 and manually over-riding the aspect ratio in VLC with 4:3. This gave me full 16:9 screen on movies.

Yeah, its a hack, but I was able to show some full HD content that I had on the computer.

FYI - I got the new Samsung HDMI capable DVD player hooked up to this set and it is VERY NICE.

Doug

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I believe the term RGB is actually RGBHV/VGA, and should work fine with the PC. If it was component, it should have been labled that or Y-Pb-Pr.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using the latest drivers from Nvidia.

I also tried Powerstrip settings that other have used with the panasonic lcd RPTVs, but to no avail.

I think I'm going to either get a DVI output card or go component.

The set has only 1 HDMI connection, so component is probably better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I played around with my setup today to see if I could discover anything helpful. I don't have an actual VGA connector on my video card anymore so I had to use a DVI/VGA adapter. As such my results are probably useless to you.

I was able to get both 720p and 1080i through the DVI/VGA adapter with no problems. 1080p wouldn't work. I ended up losing picture and having to drag my comp back here to the monitor to get things running again so testing was aborted early lol.

I'm running a PNY 6600GT that came with a dongle that outputs component to the TV. I wasn't happy at all with the picture using component. If you're going to upgrade your video card to DVI get one with the component adapter. Viewing taste is always subjective, you can try both and see which you prefer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the Panasonic model PT-61LCX65

I suspect that they've put some sort of encoder in the VGA connection to handle standard resolutions, because 1280x720 @ 60 doesn't want to sync.

Guess I'll have to wait until I get a video card with DVI or component output.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.