AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am glad that the HD TIVO is closer to release and I definitely plan to get one soon. I currently have a DirecTIVO and have a Samsung receiver for HD. I just am used to watching everyting in TIVO and find I don't want HD because I often am not home when I want to watch something. I hope to replace both of these units with the HD DirecTIVO.

My question, will it output both 480i as well as 720p/1080i at once? Reason I ask this is the setup I am going to use will have a HD Television using the DVI/HDMI (whichever is on it) outputs. I want to do like I currently do and run cables as well to a bedroom TV so I can watch on there as well. I have heard though that the DirecTIVO can't output both HD and standard 480i signals as the same time. Is that true? Will I be able to output the 480i on the rca cables or even the coaxial cable out to another tv while it would output HD to the HD TV. I have heard it won't but I wasn't sure if this would just be over the same connection where the others would always output standard or if there is an easy way to change it (hopefully on the remote) to output the other.

As well, will the DirectTIVO output HD 720p/1080i on the component outputs. I hope to use these as well to connect to a HD.

Will there be any way to record from the unit when HD DVD comes out? I hear talk about firewire not being in the unit but is it possible to do it over component or the HDMI/DVI out?

And about HDMI, it is true that the DirecTIVO will have this type of connector?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
I have heard though that the DirecTIVO can't output both HD and standard 480i signals as the same time. Is that true?
Based on what Tivo told people at CEDIA, yes, this is true.

Quote:
Will I be able to output the 480i on the rca cables or even the coaxial cable out to another tv while it would output HD to the HD TV
Unless the specifications change, the answer is no.

Quote:
As well, will the DirectTIVO output HD 720p/1080i on the component outputs. I hope to use these as well to connect to a HD.
Yes (it will output either 720p or 1080i, and upconvert other content to one of those two formats).

Quote:
Will there be any way to record from the unit when HD DVD comes out? I hear talk about firewire not being in the unit but is it possible to do it over component or the HDMI/DVI out?
No, there will be no economically viable way to record HDTV from these outputs. You can record HDTV from component with a W-VHS, but the picture is degraded and tapes cost upwards of $50 each. There are other alternatives as well, if you have many thousands of dollars to spend on broadcast-level equipment.
Quote:
And about HDMI, it is true that the DirecTIVO will have this type of connector
Yes, and this connector is compatible with DVI televisions using an adapter.

Please refer to the other thread for more DirecTivo HDTV information. It contains all information currently known about the product. Information reported in this thread is "true," but with the HDTV Tivo still six to eight months off, everything is always subject to change. Specifications provided by Tivo now may not be the specifications of the shipping product in six months.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Has the HDMI output been confirmed? I thought it was vanilla DVI/HDCP?!?

As for simultaneous output, the chipset in the HD Tivo does not allow for it -- alas.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Suzie @ CEDIA said HDMI...

I'm assuming they'll put a DVI adapter/dongle in the box... Otherwise I'll be scrambling to find one that day!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jautor
Suzie @ CEDIA said HDMI...

I'm assuming they'll put a DVI adapter/dongle in the box... Otherwise I'll be scrambling to find one that day!

Jeff
Given that the HDMI connector is quite a bit smaller than a DVI connector, I'm not sure that a HDMI to DVI dongle is a good idea. Seems like there would be too much stress on the HDMI port and the cable would come off too easily.

There a HDMI->DVI cables available, that seems like it would be a better solution to me.

-phil

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
My point was just that in 1Q04, there's still a lot more sets with DVI vs. HDMI out there - so hopefully they'll provide some solution in the box for connecting to DVI sets... At least for this model year...

And if they don't - I hope they inform the retailers so they can stock the appropriate cables/adapters for the masses...

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.