Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I might be in the place to purchase a Lexicon DC1 V4 or DC2 V4. However the manual leaves a few questions or maybe I overlooked something.

Questions

========

1) can the volume of each speaker be calibrated in 1db or 0,5 db steps ?

2) can the delay of each speaker be setup in 0,5ms or 1ms steps ?

3) is the av-delay available in 0,5ms or 1ms steps ?

4) what about using just one rear speaker, but 2 sides ? I didn't see a compensation menu for selecting either one or two rears ? As we know there is a 3db difference with one or two speakers ? Or does Lexicon always want owners to use 2 rears or none ?

Thanks for any help on clarifying these issues.

·
Registered
31,174 Posts
Quote:
...does Lexicon always want owners to use 2 rears or none ?
Yup, that's their preference. Lexicon processors (and their proprietary processing) are designed for a 7.1 speaker set-up. If that is not possible, they suggest a 5.1 speaker set-up.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
448 Posts
I used to own a DC-1 V4 but now I have an MC-12. I do remember that the av delay is not settable on a per speaker basis. It is just one number fot the whole system.

___

I also recommend the 7.1 setup, you wont be sorry as Logic 7 sounds fantastic properly set up.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Farscape,

please read again ! I asked for the delay for each speaker (how fine adjustable ?), but not for av-delay for each speaker !!! That's why I made up 4 separate questions !

AV-Delay (aka as lip-sync) is always just one value. This is clear by definition of the function !

Don't we have somebody with a DC-2 on hand for my questions 1 to 3 ?

Sanjay,

concerning 4) it's a pitty as I moved some furniture and might only have space for one back surround speaker. Just one back speaker would be something for a sort of "V5" software version I assume.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andreas

1) can the volume of each speaker be calibrated in 1db or 0,5 db steps ?

2) can the delay of each speaker be setup in 0,5ms or 1ms steps ?

3) is the av-delay available in 0,5ms or 1ms steps ?

[/b]
DC-2 Ver 4:

1) 0.5 db

2) Rear delay offset 1ms steps

3) A/V Sync delay 1ms steps

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help Kudret. But why only "rear delay offset" ? I thought one can set the delay for each speaker, first roughly for the closest and furthest away and then fine for all separately ???

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"1) can the volume of each speaker be calibrated in 1db or 0,5 db steps ? "

.5db

"2) can the delay of each speaker be setup in 0,5ms or 1ms steps ? "

You mean for time alignment? As I recall it was like .3 feet per step.

There is also an additional offset for the rears available in some modes which was 1ms each I believe.

" what about using just one rear speaker"

No, due to the way we hear a single rear speaker is a bad idea. We can mishear it as coming from in front of the listener. Totally the opposite of what is desired. You either have a 7 speaker setup or a 5 speaker setup.

" Just one back speaker would be something for a sort of "V5" software version I assume....."

v4 is the last software upgrade for the DC-1,DC-2 and MC-1. All development now is on the MC-12 platform and sometime in the future a baby MC-12 based on the MC-12 platform will be released.

Shawn

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Shawn,

Quote:
.3 feet per step
Oh, that would be very detailed. Excellent. Most often you have half a foot (ca. 15cm) steps or 0.3 meters ( = one foot). But 1/3 foot (= 10cm) would be really cool. I only wonder why then av-delay is not 0.5ms ? I can see the difference of 0.5ms steps on my screen. My memory left me, I could be happy with 1ms on the LEX, but I recall I used to have sometimes 0.5 and sometimes 1 ms for av-delay on my Meridian gear (depending on film).

Concerning the software version. I sometimes hear different remarks. The overall tone is obviously that no up-grades will follow anymore. But sometimes I hear rumors of an up-grade, about which we all don't want to speculate in here. Anyway. I just brought this up as most new decoders have a function to set for one or two rear back speakers. As the other speakers (mains, center, "rears in 5.1") are all dicrete as well I really don't mind one rear back speaker as I use direct speakers all around me. It might not be perfect, but at least one would have the option for a test.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Andreas,

"Oh, that would be very detailed. Excellent. Most often you have half a foot (ca. 15cm) steps "

I'm pretty sure that is correct, it may have been .6 feet though. The MC-12 is .5 feet and as I recall the MC-1 had smaller steps.

"The overall tone is obviously that no up-grades will follow anymore."

Lexicon has flat out said this on the Lex. forum.

"But sometimes I hear rumors of an up-grade"

Are you sure you aren't hearing about the possibility of a trade in toward the baby MC-12?

"I just brought this up as most new decoders have a function to set for one or two rear back speakers."

The MC-12 doesn't have it, Lexicon didn't add it in v1.1 so I doubt it will show up. They firmly believe a single rear center is a bad idea.

Shawn

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My questions have been answered and now we are going a bit off topic ;).

IMHO a baby MC-12 would have to have a serious price decrease, as the MC-12 is absolutely off the wall. I consider the MC-12 as well as the 861 as much too expensive. Actually I have the feeling that most processors are over-priced, but maybe it's just me or my wallet.

The rumors I heard was just a quick remark on the phone, so nothing we should take as serious. It just sounded logical, as the installed base of DCs and MCs (MC-1 that is) is quite big and shouldn't be forgotten. So a trade in for something like a smaller MC-12 would need to be price effective for the LEX fans already owning. IMHO Lexicon needs something in the price range of 3000 $ or they will loose customers bad.

As many know by now TAG is bringing out the AV30, a smaller brother to the AV32R. It lacks a few things, therefore the retail price in Europe is around 2700$. Considering it's flexible software (it's comparable to LEX and Meridian flexibility level) I would conclude "the race is on".

Without a doubt, the first major manufacturer with a software up-gradeable mashine in the 3K$ or below range will get a nice share of the cake. Rotel's 1066 is just the first wave....hopefully.....

·
Registered
31,174 Posts
Andreas,

Keep in mind that, even though it is not recommended, there is nothing physically stopping you from using a Y connector to combine the rear L&R outputs and run them to a single rear speaker. I mean, the Surround Police won't show up and bust you.;)
Quote:
...it's a pitty as I moved some furniture and might only have space for one back surround speaker.
Is there any way you can fit two small speakers, even with just a minimum of spacing?

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani
Andreas,

Keep in mind that, even though it is not recommended, there is nothing physically stopping you from using a Y connector to combine the rear L&R outputs and run them to a single rear speaker.
I don't think that's a good idea.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that's why I said one could "try" out for a test. In reality it might not be a good thing as Buzz has thrown in. As we know now (well, I got it confirmed from the written above) Lexicon wants anyone to use 2 back speakers (or none), so they probably have adopted/optimized the logic steering/algorithms that way. Combining those two sort of steered "stereo speakers" into one speaker might become less than satisfying ? However, as said, if they would have included an option to choose one back speaker I would have assumed an adaption of the steering for it as well ! Conclusively that option isn't there. Therer are also other issues, but let's stop here.

Case closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.