AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony VPH-1270 multiscan CRT projector, and an Extron Lancia line doubler. Here's a little story of my situation, then the questions. The projector only has S-video or RGBHV inputs. My DVD player only has component or S-video outputs. So I knew I had to find something better than S-video and began my search. Nobody at any of the stores around here knew anything about projectors, even the ones they carried. Finally the guys at Magnolia HiFi told me they could order an Extron USP device that could convert the signal to RGBHV from S-video, but it isn't cheap. SO I went ahead and got the Extron Lancia Line doubler, which will convert the S-video input to 480p output in RGBHV. Now here's my questions:

1. Will a scaler actually make a better picture, or will the artifacts be too much to bother?

2. Are there many sources that are higher than 480p to even worry about getting something to show that high? Aren't DVD's just 480p?

3. From what I have found out, RGBHV carries a signal without the compression that YPbPr has, so why don't higher end DVD players use that instead? The guys I talked to said they use component for ease of hook up, but 5 cables isn't much harder than 3, so what gives?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
To convert component to rgb you actually want a transcoder. There are many makers and if you just search the internet or wherever for rgb transcoder you'll find options starting around $100 something.

RGB and component are about the same except for how sync is handled, and the transcoder converts the sync type so it is compatable and that way you get everything that is on the DVD.

I don't use any of thiis type of equipment, I use a HTPC which does scaling and gives the full progressive info that component would but if you don't want to go through a HTPC to get the best picture then a transcoder will be better than a line doubler in your case I think.

That is unless you want to step up to some big $$ gear that does both scaling and transcoding. They are in the thousand and up range normally which is probably overkill for your pj.

Troy

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm building a new HTPC designed around this beautiful case .

The equipment and software came to around US $1000 for a DVD-playback (no HD tuner) focused unit. Bear in mind that 1/3 of the cost was the case and the powersupply.

It's really inexpensive to go the HTPC route and you get a picture that you can tune precisely to the "sweet spot" of your PJ.

- Jerry

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Converting from S-video to RGBHV is a waste of money IMHO.

You want a DVD player that outputs RGBHV or Component natively as both of these are considerably better then S-video.

For most likely less money then the Extron, you could buy a $150 DVD player with component out and then spend another $150 on a component to RGBHV transcoder and have a better image then what the Extron will do for you. It'll only be 480p so you'll most likely see scanlines however.

The other option is to get a dvd player with a built in scaler. The Momitsu unit seems fairly popular as it's only $200 or so:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=293312

It has DVI out so if you get a $10 DVI to RGBHV adapter, you should be able to hook it up to your CRT projector without any problems. Read the thread to make sure however... (I haven't).

HTPC's another route, but is more work and more expensive (and may or may not give you a better image).

Kal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I checked out the Momitsu link you had, something to consider. I guess after all this I still have the one question, do scalers really work, and are they worth buying? My projector says it can do 1280x1024, and I know the doubler will only make 480p. I have read how they use algorithims to fill in the extra lines, of course I don't quite know what that means, but if they make the picture look better that's what I want. If I can do a much higher resolution, I feel unsatisfied with 480p. So what are your thoughts on scalers, and which should I stay away from?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
If you want a good relatively inexpensive scaler consider the Lumagen Vision.

On your 1270, you want to scale to 600P or maybe 720P tops. Although the PJ says it will take in 1280 x 1024, and it will, it is to much for the size CRT's you have. Picture will be very soft at those high resolutions.

Terry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I went ahead and got the Extron line doubler hooked up, S-video from the DVD player to it, RGBHV out to the projector. I must admit I am quite impressed with how much better the picture is than it was. Brighter too. Now I am going to look around for scalers, maybe the Lumagen as was suggested. Also a larger screen, I thought 70x70in was good enough, but even in the room it is in now I can still go another 4 feet before I hit the wall. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.