AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I have a couple of questions about my new Onkyo 160 receiver I got this weekend. First off I got to say this is an amazing machine, but it sometimes seems smarter than me. I have searched this forum just about all the threads for Onkyo receivers ( 507,607) and haven't found my answers.

I have a Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD60, and a Directv HR-20 going through the receiver to a Panasonic TH-50PZ77U display. All connections are HDMI. I have a typical 5.1 system with R.A. Labs speakers and a powered sub ( BIC 100).

1st problem is when I play a Blu-ray movie I don't get HD audio only DD or DTS . I have checked the BD-60 menu and I have it set to bitstream and 2nd audio OFF. I have NOT run the Audyssey set up yet, now could that be the problem? I've tried different set up combo and all I get the receiver to say is " DVD DTS or DVD DOLBY D " yes I did have a DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD movies in and yes the DB-60 output said the same.

The other problem I'm having is with the passthrough, say I'm watching Directv through TV speakers and receiver off and I decide to watch a Blu-ray movie the same way ( through TV speakers) is there a way to switch input without turning the receiver on and changing the input to DVD/BD ?

I sure it's something obvious I'm just missing, I've learned alot from you guys here just reading the post. but this is something I could not find. Thanks for your time.

·
The Village Idiot
9,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhuntr1866 /forum/post/18139371

The other problem I'm having is with the passthrough, say I'm watching Directv through TV speakers and receiver off and I decide to watch a Blu-ray movie the same way ( through TV speakers) is there a way to switch input without turning the receiver on and changing the input to DVD/BD ?

There is a very easy way to do this - IF your tv has an extra HDMI port. Get a passive splitter and install it between your cable/sat box and the AVR - route one lead to the AVR and the other to the tv. Make sure to switch the tv to HDMI 2 or whatever it's called.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

Quote:

Hello folks,

I have a couple of questions about my new Onkyo 160 receiver I got this weekend. First off I got to say this is an amazing machine, but it sometimes seems smarter than me. I have searched this forum just about all the threads for Onkyo receivers ( 507,607) and haven't found my answers.

I have a Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD60, and a Directv HR-20 going through the receiver to a Panasonic TH-50PZ77U display. All connections are HDMI. I have a typical 5.1 system with R.A. Labs speakers and a powered sub ( BIC 100).

1st problem is when I play a Blu-ray movie I don't get HD audio only DD or DTS . I have checked the BD-60 menu and I have it set to bitstream and 2nd audio OFF. I have NOT run the Audyssey set up yet, now could that be the problem? I've tried different set up combo and all I get the receiver to say is " DVD DTS or DVD DOLBY D " yes I did have a DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD movies in and yes the DB-60 output said the same.

I sure it's something obvious I'm just missing, I've learned alot from you guys here just reading the post. but this is something I could not find. Thanks for your time.

I suggest you ask your question in the HT-160's owner's thread vice the general forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=onkyo+ht160

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I cycle the audio button on the 160 it goes through a few options like Direct, Mono, and some DTS and Dolby options, but none of the HD options and I don't get the light above the display other than the DTS and Dolby light.

When I change the movie options on the Blu-ray it will change on the 160 ( I can't remember what was on the display but it wasn't HD audio) . When I change the BD to PCM I get the Multichannel on the 160's display.

I know it's the same as bitstreaming except the DB does the decoding but I would like to know the 160 can do it too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18139707

There is a very easy way to do this - IF your tv has an extra HDMI port. Get a passive splitter and install it between your cable/sat box and the AVR - route one lead to the AVR and the other to the tv. Make sure to switch the tv to HDMI 2 or whatever it's called.

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
So you cycle the audio button on the players remote, you see the options change on the disk. I'd say it's working even if not indicating it. The avr at this point has to be decoding what is being sent if it is producing audio.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

Quote:

Hello folks,

Have you reviewed all available listening modes and how they operate/are applied? See pages 59 through 65 of the Onkyo owner's manual.

Have you properly set up the listening modes for each input? See page 74 of the Onkyo owner's manual.

These steps need to be taken in order for things to operate properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18141274

Have you reviewed all available listening modes and how they operate/are applied? See pages 59 through 65 of the Onkyo owner's manual.

Have you properly set up the listening modes for each input? See page 74 of the Onkyo owner's manual.

These steps need to be taken in order for things to operate properly.

I will check when I get home from work, but I read that manual over many times, still a noob at this so bare with me. I know I have the listening modes set to "last valad"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18141192

So you cycle the audio button on the players remote, you see the options change on the disk. I'd say it's working even if not indicating it. The avr at this point has to be decoding what is being sent if it is producing audio.

Yea the AVR is producing audio, and it sounds good, but I'm want to be sure if it's standard 5.1 or lossless by confirming it at the AVR.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhuntr1866 /forum/post/18141387

I know I have the listening modes set to "last valad"

Well, there is your problem. Set each one to the default that you want used. In other words, set signal format "Dolby True HD" to use listening mode "Dolby True HD". See page 74.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18141437

Well, there is your problem. Set each one to the default that you want used. In other words, set signal format "Dolby True HD" to use listening mode "Dolby True HD". See page 74.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home....I'd feel like I dumb asre if that works.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhuntr1866 /forum/post/18144547

well....I have to report it failed. I set all the default listening modes to the respective listening signals and still nada. I also rechecked the BD settings and it is set to bitstream and secondary audio off.

Please list your settings. Do you have the inputs properly identified? If the BD player is set to bitstream and the inputs on the AVR are set up properly, once the listening modes are set up there is no reason for things to not work unless something is broken.

One other thing to check, page 78 of the Onkyo owner's manual, make sure "Audio TV Out" is set to "Off".

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use the "Direct" listening mode for my 607 with the same blu-ray player and it picks up the output that I choose in the setup menu on each movie (dts-hd, etc). I have noticed that on some discs for some reason the movie starts automatically in the lossy version and I have to use the pop up menu to change to the lossless audio. Seems odd that it would default to a lessor quality but it does on some movies.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK for starters I know I have the Audio TV out set to "ON". The reason is we watch alot of TV (Directv) with the AVR off and to get audio to passthrough I need it set to on.

So that could be the hang-up, also the Hint on pg 23 says if I set it to on I need to set the BD HDMI audio output to PCM which makes sense to let the BD do the decoding.

The way it sounds is the AVR won't decode the HD audio formats if you passthrough the audio?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.