AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here with a new Panasonic DMR-EH75VS. I hope you all can help me out with these questions :)

1) Connections: I have Sony receiver with surround-sound speakers and a Moxi dual-tuner DVR that I get through Charter cable. Currently, I integrated my EH75VS into my system this way:

*RF Cable from wall to Moxi DVR

*RCA cables (I hope this is the right terminology--they're the ones with the red & white audio & yellow video plugs) from Moxi to EH75VS

*RCA cables from EH75VS to Sony receiver

*S-video cable from Sony receiver to JVC TV

Basically, I took out my Sony VHS and replaced it with the EH75VS.

Is this an okay way to use the EH75VS? IOW, do I need to use the TVGOS at all? It took me awhile to figure out that the reason the TVGOS wasn't working was that I don't have the RF cable going directly into the EH75VS. My main concern in using the TVGOS was not being able to use my Moxi's dual-tuner any longer, and since I watch a lot of TV shows that are on opposite each other, I don't want to lose the DT functionality, plus I have shows currently on my DVR that I'd like to dump to DVD, so the DVR has to be connected to the EH75VS.

My cable line has a three-way splitter on it because I also have a cable modem and used to have a router, but with the router gone, I do have that third cable free. The problem I see is that my Moxi box has only one RF input and no RF output, so if I hook up the third line to the EH75VS, should I hook up the EH75VS directly to the TV's RF input to get the signal pass-through and still use my Sony receiver for audio? Would I be able to watch TV that way and still use the Moxi's DT? Right now I'm manually recording shows to the HDD, so again, do I really need to use the TVGOS? I guess I'm afraid that by not hooking it up, my machine will spontaneously implode or something :) Sorry to be such an ignoramus about this.

I'd also like to hook up my old VCR to the system somehow (there are no slots currently available on the receiver unless I ditch something or share the line, I guess) so I can watch tapes I'm not going to convert without wearing out the EH75VS's VHS. Can I just hook it up to the EH75VS? If I watch any of my copyprotected tapes, I can always use the EH75VS's VHS for that. I'm leaving my Cyberhome DVD player directly connected to the receiver for now since it's all-region and I don't think there are any codes to make the EH75VS into an all-region player (can't give up watching "Battle Royale"!).

2) Recording shows to the HDD for later copying to DVD: There are some TV shows and specials that I'd like to archive. Since I read that the LP quality is nearly as good as the SP, I would like to use LP so I can save four one-hour shows per disc. Given that, at what speed should I record the original shows to the HDD? To be safe, I've been recording the shows I like at XP speed, but I have yet to record them to disc (see my editing question next, please). Is this correct? IOW, if I record to the HDD at LP and then to the disc at LP, would I be doubling up the compression and screwing up the viewing quality of the shows? Sorry to be so ignorant about this. I know that if I dupe an SP VHS to another SP VHS, there is some loss of quality, but it's never been enough to make much of a difference, but I wasn't sure if the same holds true for DVDR.

3) Editing shows: I thought I saw a post about how to edit out commercials here, but now I can't find it. If someone could point it out to me, or just tell me in plain language how to edit commercials out, I would really appreciate it, as the manual has me fully confused right now and I'm afraid of screwing up my shows (I backed up a couple on the DVR, but I'd like to stop doing that so I have more room for other shows I like to watch but not save). I think I can figure out the playlist feature on my own, though I'd be happy for any advice you can give on that, too.

Thanks so much for reading this and for any help you guys can give me! I've managed to make one DVD-R copy of a homemade DVD-R (dubbed at high speed, no less!), and I'm totally stoked at how well the HDD and VHS work, too. Now I'd really like to explore the capabilities of my new machine :) Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Here is how I would connect it.

Coax from wall to splitter

** Coax 1 to Cable DVR

** Coax 2 to Panny DVDR

(you can use the panny's built in pass through as another option)

-- the above will allow you to use the TVGOS to record analog channels if you desire

** Cable DVR box to TV (highest quality video your TV can handle)

** Panny DVDR to TV (highest quality that is left (component?) on your TV

** S-video out from Cable DVR to Input on Panny DVDR (will use to archive shows on Cable DVR)

I would hook up the audio via the highest quality your receiver will allow (digital coax, digital optical, etc). This will allow you to maintain the 5.1 sound of TV programs that carry it (assuming your receiver is set up for 5.1)

Then piggy back the VCR onto another input on the DVD recorder.

This was my setup back when I had cable

As far as quality, my eyes (especially on my 100" screen) can see a difference between SP and LP modes, but then again, I'm using the older DMR-E80H, so YMMV.

I personally like editing out commercials on a PC, but I'm anal about it being perfect
. Some do playlists and then dub the playlist (that aren't commercials) over to a DVD-R. When I did editing on my machine, I used the shorten segment feature. Told it the start and end points and it "shortened" or removed that section. Then you can burn to a DVD-R at high speed with no commercials.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk /forum/post/0

Here is how I would connect it.

Coax from wall to splitter

** Coax 1 to Cable DVR

** Coax 2 to Panny DVDR

(you can use the panny's built in pass through as another option)

-- the above will allow you to use the TVGOS to record analog channels if you desire

** Cable DVR box to TV (highest quality video your TV can handle)

** Panny DVDR to TV (highest quality that is left (component?) on your TV

** S-video out from Cable DVR to Input on Panny DVDR (will use to archive shows on Cable DVR)

My TV's pretty old, so I'm guessing the highest quality is the S-video connection. I know it doesn't have composite video connections (or is it component that's the better one? I get those confused).

Quote:
I would hook up the audio via the highest quality your receiver will allow (digital coax, digital optical, etc). This will allow you to maintain the 5.1 sound of TV programs that carry it (assuming your receiver is set up for 5.1)

Then piggy back the VCR onto another input on the DVD recorder.

Yep, it's a 5.1 surround sound receiver with Dolby II Pro-Logic & dts. I think it's a digital optical input that I have (I'll have to look because I know I'll need to buy a cable for whatever it is).

Thanks for the advice! I'll try your way tomorrow and see how it goes. As far as recording, is it best to record in XP for whatever speed I decide for dubbing onto DVD-R later?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts

Quote:
As far as recording, is it best to record in XP for whatever speed I decide for dubbing onto DVD-R later?

It's best to record the show in the rec mode that allows you to place whatever number of individual shows on the disc. The reason, is that dubbing from say XP mode to another mode onto disc, will require a 'real time' dub, which means, the actual length of original show-a 2 hour movie recorded in XP mode, will tie up the unit for 2 hours, dubbing to disc. There will also be a slight reduction of picture quality when real time dubbing.

High speed dubs on the other hand, will feature no pic quality loss-it is a bit for bit data transfer to the disc. And it will take roughly 15 minutes to dub onto a disc. So if you want to record '24' and save them to disc, SP=2 hour mode, for 2 unedited hour long episodes, or 4 hour LP mode for 4 unedited episodes...

Additionally, there's a setting in the Setup menu, that requires you to enable Hi Speed Dubbing. Press Setup button on the remote, arrow down to the Disc tab onscreen, then look for DVD-R High Speed Recording in the list there, and arrow over to the column to make sure it's set to 'On'. (Press Enter button when you highlight the Hi-Speed tab to set it.)

Any recordings to the hdd made with that setting not enabled, will not Hi-speed dub to disc.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Dezbot -- The manual for the EH75 (at least mine) is unclear what happens if you record in the XP mode and then ask the EH75 to fit a 2hr or 4 hr show into a DVD. The EH75 makes the decision as to what compression/data reduction is being done. I use mine in the SP mode for recording. That gives me the best (2hr show) quality to a DVD (I have a front projector and a 106" screen, so I can tell the difference between SP & LP modes. The LP mode is better than VHS, but barely. The SP mode is the quality that is the closest to commercial DVDs. I basically do not use the TVGOS, although I have the capability (you can still to timed recording without it).

If you need to record 4 hours of programming to a DVD, you can do that (in SP mode) by using Double Layer (DVD+R DL) discs, which can be recorded on the EH75. Most, if not all, of the newer DVD players can read DL discs, AFIK.

PS - Most of the shows that I record are 2 hours long. This is why I feel that I have to edit out the commercials. I'm experimenting with diong a rough commercial edit before writing a DVD and then doing a final edit on my PC (I have lots of cheap DVD-R discs). I tried a DVD-RAM disc but was dissatisfied with the result (my laptop will read DVD-RAM discs - so I can copy them to a hard drive).

I have my EH75 connected to my H20 (DirecTV STB) using the Composite (standard Y-W-R, Video/Audio, RCA cable) and S-Video (the only 2 kinds of source that the EH75 can record from). You cannot record 5.1 channel audio, only 2-channel (uncompressed) audio. The EH75 will decode 5.1 channel audio from a DVD, only (via it's digital audio output).

Westly-C has summarized the features, and connections, very well. His post covers what I have been doing.

I find that editing out the commercials is manual and very tedious (unless I'm missing some shortcut that is hidden in the manual). However, it is necessary in order to fit a full 2 hour show onto a single layer DVD, without pushing it (and getting some video compression).

I got my EH75 as an emergency recorder when my PC died. I still prefer using my Happauge PVR-250 card, in my PC, to do the recording. I have a low cost editor, that does frame accurate editing. It is a lot quicker and easier to edit out the commercials precisely, which I have not been able to do on the EH75.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Westly-C! Fortunately, I can re-record the "24" eps to the HDD from my DVR at LP speed; while I love "24," I don't want to use 24 DVDs to get one season. And I'm glad I didn't have time to edit out the commercials today. Speaking of which: I thought I read (either here or in another forum) that you can't pause a recording on this machine and then pick it up again, but the manual says you can (at least for recording to HDD). Do you know which is correct? That would obviously make it a lot easier for me to archive network TV shows sans commercials (unless the pausing cancels out the ability to make high speed dubs?).

Also, if I record something in FR, will I have to dub it in real time, or can it also be dubbed at high speed? I want to dub some home movies from the camcorder to DVD, but I don't know how long they are, so I was going to go with FR to fit them onto one disc (I think I can record as FR to HDD, too, right? I'm not sure I'm reading the manual correctly). Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

Thanks also, CT_Wiebe. Unfortunately, I can't afford to upgrade my PC right now (it needs a bigger hard drive and a DVD burner which I can't afford just yet, and a friend of mine says the cards for recording to PC are expensive), so I have to edit on the Panny. As far as TV shows, I'm not that picky, but once I get into editing my home movies, I'll definitely be looking into using my PC for that. And I'll look into the DL discs. Those sound like a good bet for archiving shows like The Sopranos and Rome. I thought that Pannys prefer minus R media, though?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezbot /forum/post/0

Thanks, Westly-C! Fortunately, I can re-record the "24" eps to the HDD from my DVR at LP speed; while I love "24," I don't want to use 24 DVDs to get one season. And I'm glad I didn't have time to edit out the commercials today. Speaking of which: I thought I read (either here or in another forum) that you can't pause a recording on this machine and then pick it up again, but the manual says you can (at least for recording to HDD). Do you know which is correct? That would obviously make it a lot easier for me to archive network TV shows sans commercials (unless the pausing cancels out the ability to make high speed dubs?).

You can only pause a recording that was started by pressing the Record button. A TV Guide or manually set timer recording cannot be paused however. And Hi speed dubbing isn't affected by pausing during recording..
Quote:
Also, if I record something in FR, will I have to dub it in real time, or can it also be dubbed at high speed? I want to dub some home movies from the camcorder to DVD, but I don't know how long they are, so I was going to go with FR to fit them onto one disc (I think I can record as FR to HDD, too, right? I'm not sure I'm reading the manual correctly). Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

FR mode recordings can be hi speed dubbed as well, so long as the file size you end up with, fits on a single disc (4.7 GB or 4400 mb)

. You would first check the length of your home movies, and then set the FR time to that, and dub to the hdd. You can perform edits if you wish, remove unwanted parts, add chapter marks, even split that recording into separate titles. Set thumbnails for each title, and hi speed dub them to the same disc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Westly-C, thanks for the info. I usually watch the shows I'm archiving live, so I will use the record button rather than set up timed recordings. I'll test the FR on another show before I transfer my home movies just to make sure I do it correctly.

sivartk, I checked the back of my receiver and it has a digital optical input and a digital coaxial input, but it says "Video." I guess I don't have digital audio capability. Also, I tried out the shorten title feature and it worked out great! Of course, I forgot to give my titles names before I dubbed them to DVD :) I guess it will take me a little while to get the hang of everything. Now to leave the IR blaster positioned in front of the Moxi so I can get the TVGOS set up!

I'm really glad I found this forum. I'd probably be beyond frustrated by now if I hadn't :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I need help to hook up my equipment. I have cable in thru scientifric atlantic 8300 which has hdmi. To this I want to hook a Panny eh75 and a Onkyo 790 to a Toshiba tv with two hdmis. I need to be able to record from tv to both 8300 and the panny. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've started recording a lot of shows in LP onto the HDD and then onto DVD's as I'm fairly happy with the quality on the Panasonic (as are friends and family that have used my DVD's on their own players). You should note that I'd describe my cable signal as SP level and not up to XP quality. For good shows, I go to SP for recording to the HDD and then to the DVD. While FR is handy, I realized that it occupies XP amount of space on my HDD and so I use FR only for certain programs.

Sounds like you've found your way to the EDIT and then SHORTEN steps. To fully get rid of commercials at the beginning of a recording, use DIVIDE right where the program you want to save starts. You'll end up with two programs and you can delete the first one. BTW, when you want to copy something to a DVD, go to Advanced Copy to get the most options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been following this thread closely as we have just set up a home theatre with the Panasonic eh-75v included. What 02Deuce says above about using DIVIDE and then deleting the parts you don't want works really well. Also, I ALWAYS use "advanced copy" because it presents all your options in a fairly simple, non-confusing way. (Hey, I'm an old guy - so sue me).

I'd suggest to anyone that owns one of these recorders to put some time in studying the manual. There's plenty of good info there, it's just kinda overwhelming at first. Now if only I could finish figuring out the really optimal way to connect the Pany, my Charter Digital Cable box, the Samsung LCD and the Pioneer receiver together, I'd be happy. My biggest problem seems to be figuring out the pro's and con's of using a hdmi cable between the Pany and the Samsung.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, making real progress thanks to this thread and the other long-g-g thread about the Pany DMR EH-55 combo recorder as far as hook up. On page 21 of the eh-75v manual, bottom right corner, they discuss connecting an amplifier with with a optical digital cable. I have a Pioneer vsx-1016txv-k receiver that right now just has the left and right rca audio jacks plugged into the tv for audio input.

It looks like I should also be using a optical digital cable from the Pany for audio input so I can take advantage of 5.1 and/or 7.1 dolby. The other option would be to run a hdmi cable from the receiver to the TV and let the receiver control everything. Anyone have any suggestions on which way to go here?

·
Registered
4,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezbot /forum/post/0

If I use SP mode, and edit out the commercials, I can put three episodes of almost all network shows on one DVD-R. Occasionally I need to remove some closing credits, but they are frequently shown beside a network self-promotion spot anyway, so it is no loss at all. That would leave me with eight DVDs for a season of 24, and since I use dual sided Gem-type cases for my network shows, that's four cases for a season of a show. I would hardly think that four Gem-type cases are a lot of space to take up or keep track of. (Yes, I use high speed dubbing exclusively.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Panasonic DVD Recorder/VCR combo with DVR (DMR-EH75VS) about a month ago. Just recently upon applying power to the unit it automatically shuts off after 2 minutes. Anyone else having the same problem? I'm not sure if the unit went bad or a feature was accidently turn on that I'm not aware of.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
If unplugging it for a while (30 min) does not fix it, I expect there will be a trip to the repair facility for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/0

If I use SP mode, and edit out the commercials, I can put three episodes of almost all network shows on one DVD-R. Occasionally I need to remove some closing credits, but they are frequently shown beside a network self-promotion spot anyway, so it is no loss at all. That would leave me with eight DVDs for a season of 24, and since I use dual sided Gem-type cases for my network shows, that's four cases for a season of a show. I would hardly think that four Gem-type cases are a lot of space to take up or keep track of. (Yes, I use high speed dubbing exclusively.)

I just crammed 6 "hours" of "24" onto one disc by recording in LP and editing out the commercials, plus I added chapters and entered a title. I'm probably overly proud of myself, but considering how ignorant I was about all these steps when I first got my Panny, I think I done good
Now if I could just figure out how to change the Top Menu style! I've read the manual and followed the steps it mentions after the disc finalized, but I couldn't get the proper menu to come up. Grrr!

Thanks, 02Deuce, for the tip on using DIVIDE. I have some things I recorded while I was out and I wasn't sure how to get rid of the excess at the beginning. I'll try that out tonight after I finish recording this nifty BBC America special on the Beatles that's on right now.

One other question: Are DL discs better for archiving shows? Is the quality better than single-layer discs, or the same? I've got some eps of "Rome" recorded in SP that I want to dump off the HDD, but I wasn't sure if it would be better to save them on DL discs or SL ones. It's a short series, so it's not matter of saving storage space for my discs. And for this particular Panny, should I use DL+R or -R? Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I experimented with ripping some old VHS tape material onto my EH-75VS Hard Drive in both LP and SP. I then burned two DVD's using a high speed transfer of the LP version onto one and then a SP version onto the other. Comparing the two back to back, it appeared that the SP version was a bit better than the LP version. But you had to look real close and I doubt that the average viewer would have noticed. So I'm amending my earlier note to say that I'm now doing VHS transfers at SP. I'm still debating it concerning direct copies from cable as the LP video looks more than adequate for the particular shows that I'm archiving.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
What size of set are you viewing it back on? That will make a big difference. On a 27" SD set you may not see a difference, but on a 42" LCD/Plasma that must upscale the image, you may see a huge difference....just something to think about if you plan to watch these in the future with a different TV.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Since VHS tapes are not very high quality to start with, I doubt that you will see much, if any, difference beetween LP and SP modes (VHS quality is actually worse than the EH75's LP quality).

Dezbot -- DL DVDs only are really available as +Rs so you don't have a decision there. I bought some DVD+R DLs, but I haven't tried them yet. According to the EH75 manual, it will work with +R DLs. For single layer DVDs, it's best to use DVD-Rs.

There is a noticable difference between SP and LP modes on DVDs. the LP mode is OK for small TV sets, but on my 32" LCD HD display, I can tell the difference, and with my PJ & 106" screen there is a real big difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a 32" Sony CRT flat screen that used to be my basement TV as it had a worse picture than my now-dead 32" Sony CRT round screen (both bought used over the years). It's got more grain in it than it should, but I can still see artifacts in LP versus SP copies. You're both correct in that artifacts would be more obvious on a bigger screen. LP appears to create a degraded recording compared to SP for VHS and I'm sure it does for a DVD copy as well. What the heck, blank DVD media is pretty cheap. And a whole bunch easier to store than my old VHS tapes.

One thing I've been pretty amazed at is how nice a video component signal that the EH75VS sends to my Sony front projector. It even makes OTA signals look decent!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.