AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unfortunately did not do my homework and am kicking myself for not buying a Blu Ray player that decodes DTS HD MA. There are some weird things happening that I'd like some help with. I'll try to be clear. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR6080, HDMI 1.2a I believe (similar to the RX861). It has two HDMI Inputs and one output. I am pretty sure it does not have any HDMI decoders. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) I set the Sammy to PCM and the Yammy shows MPCM. I'd like to get signal info on the audio bitrate but can't. Am I getting the HD sound when watching a TrueHD movie. (Sammy does decode TrueHD). I just want to be sure that it is the best possible sound.

2) Should I set the BD player to Bitstream for regular DVD?

3) When I watch Blu Ray's with DTS HD MA sound I can still bitstream to the receiver and the receiver is decoding and outputting sound. I'm not sure if it is the DTS HD though. Is that normal? Shouldn't it be quiet? The signal info shows 5.1 or 6.1 (depending on disc), DTS and a 1536Kb bitrate. That seems low considering the discs are 3+ MB/s right for audio right? Does that mean the receiver is pretending it is regular DTS at the max bitrate?

4) When I put on Wall E and output bitstream the output shows 6.1 and the DTS lights come on in the AVR display. When I set the BD player to PCM the signal is 5.1 and the rear center does not light up on the AVR display. Are both my componenents capable of 6, 7 and 8 channels of MPCM?

5) Will Samsung do a firmware upgrade to decode DTS HD MA?

I wish I learned more before seeing the sales and jumping on the band wagon. I really want to know that I am capable of listening to the best possible audio.

Thanks for looking and replying (if you do)

·
Registered
722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesjan /forum/post/15430152

I unfortunately did not do my homework and am kicking myself for not buying a Blu Ray player that decodes DTS HD MA. There are some weird things happening that I'd like some help with. I'll try to be clear. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR6080, HDMI 1.2a I believe (similar to the RX861). It has two HDMI Inputs and one output. I am pretty sure it does not have any HDMI decoders. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) I set the Sammy to PCM and the Yammy shows MPCM. I'd like to get signal info on the audio bitrate but can't. Am I getting the HD sound when watching a TrueHD movie. (Sammy does decode TrueHD). I just want to be sure that it is the best possible sound.

2) Should I set the BD player to Bitstream for regular DVD?

3) When I watch Blu Ray's with DTS HD MA sound I can still bitstream to the receiver and the receiver is decoding and outputting sound. I'm not sure if it is the DTS HD though. Is that normal? Shouldn't it be quiet? The signal info shows 5.1 or 6.1 (depending on disc), DTS and a 1536Kb bitrate. That seems low considering the discs are 3+ MB/s right for audio right? Does that mean the receiver is pretending it is regular DTS at the max bitrate?

4) When I put on Wall E and output bitstream the output shows 6.1 and the DTS lights come on in the AVR display. When I set the BD player to PCM the signal is 5.1 and the rear center does not light up on the AVR display. Are both my componenents capable of 6, 7 and 8 channels of MPCM?

5) Will Samsung do a firmware upgrade to decode DTS HD MA?

I wish I learned more before seeing the sales and jumping on the band wagon. I really want to know that I am capable of listening to the best possible audio.

Thanks for looking and replying (if you do)

Hi, Samsung will be releasing new firmware to allow decoding and some have speculated more options Netflix, Pandora and Divx. If you can wait a week or less you can setup the player to update from the internet or download to thumb drive.

You should ask this on the Samsung 1500 forum as they can direct you better.

If you have the option to return the player, you can get the BD-P2500 or 2550 as they do all the options listed above and have a picture quality as good as Oppo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.