AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm still new to this whole home theater thing and wasn't sure where to find the best answer.

Right now I have my PS3 and my Xbox 360 going into my TV via HDMI and then going out to my receiver via optical. Would I get a better sound quality if I went into the receiver from these sources and then out to the TV? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes, you will get better sound by sending the HDMI signal through the receiver. And unlike older analog signal formats, there will be no reduction in video quality by going through the receiver first.

I think a lot of TVs only output stereo from their optical out audio connections. You would be missing out on true surround-sound that way, even though your receiver can (and probably IS configured to) "fake" surround sound from the stereo signal right now.

Also, optical cannot carry lossless multi-channel PCM like you find on blu-ray discs. This is the signal that you want the PS3 to output for maximum quality when watching blu-ray. You do need to configure the audio output to "PCM" instead of "bitstream". And the PS3 must be connected directly to the receiver via HDMI. But once you do that, you will be getting the highest-quality audio available (DTS-HD MA, and Dolby TrueHD). There are many threads and I am sure an internet search would turn up full details of getting these formats to play on the PS3 if you need more info.

-Max

1 - 3 of 3 Posts