AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was hoping to pose some questions to figure out about my theater which will be in the living room [I know, boo hiss... thats not a real home theater] I'm dealing with the WAF, and this is the best bet right now...

Essentially, the room is 18x14, and the living room shares an interior wall with the garage [along the 14 foor wall] Essentially, there will be a 9x3 'closet' built in between those areas... With double door access from the garage for install, wiring, etc....

I'm wondering what people have done and some design aspects for recessing/flush mounting a rptv into a wall. I've seem some pretty cool designs in the picture section of here...

What I was going to do is flush mount the TV a 46 inch Mits [wt46809] and recessing the l/r/c speakers into the wall as well... Then a rack in the wall facing the living room with components...

Here is a question... Right now I have floor standing speakers, and relatively large center channel... Will recessing them in the walls make them sound bad?

Thanks for any inputs...

Monte

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,171 Posts
I've been thinking of recessing some speakers and here are some of my brain storms.

Speakers that have either a front port or no port would probably work best. If your speakers have rear ports make the recesses as large as possible but I think it advisable to minimize the rear reflections with acoustical foam.

The recess should have minimal wall vibration. Build them HEAVY. I'm thinking about concrete backer board glued between two panels of 3/4 inch MDF. Or a sand filled wall construction. If the recess is bigger than the speakers surround the speakers with Acoustical foam or dense fiberglass.

A large front acoustical baffle might be of use. Having the speakers protrude a bit and disguising as a column with a grill cloth cover might have some sonic and design benefit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The walls would be regular building material.. ie; drywall... is this 'heavy' enough?

Klipsch sf-2's... back port...

But like I said earlier, an opening in the back....

183inch deep, but probably atleast a 28 inch deep recess to match the tv...

Think that would work?

Recess will only be about 1 inch thicker so I can place a screen around the speakers with speaker grill clothe to mask the speaker..

Monte

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,171 Posts
I'd do double 5/8 drywall on the back wall and cover all surfaces surrounding the speakers with acoustical foam. You will need some room for the rear ports to breathe otherwise the sound performance of the speakers will be altered by the air flow restriction.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigmoith, u have a pm

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I think it would be better and easier to build a false wall like a proscenium. I would frame it out and cover it in GOM, speaker cloth, or any alternative. Then, the speakers can be positioned properly behind it with the RPTV. In the future, if budget and WAF allow a bigger screen or even FPTV, then it's easier to alter or remove the false wall. Same with speakers as well if you ever change those.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Check out my webpage (in my signature). We did just about what Toxarch is describing in our HT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.