AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for how long this is, but I wanted to give you as much information as possible to help you answer my questions. I have several questions and hope you guys can help me out. I have spent several week reading and researching here and have learned quite a bit. I want to do a CIH setup. Our home we bought over 2 ½ years ago has a fully finished theater room; it is only missing the electronic equipment. The walls all have acoustic material on them, the room has a stage in front of the screen area, and there are two 10 risers so there are three levels of seating. It is completely light controlled and has a flat black painted ceiling and the fabric covering all of the walls is a darker blue. We have been patient and have waited until we could pay cash for everything we need.

It is a large room at 20x30 feet. The usable width is closer to 14 ½ feet because of columns for the speakers and a walkway on one side. It has a recessed ceiling so the center of the room is taller than the outsides. The height in front of the screen wall is 6'11 from the stage to the ceiling. The tallest point in the room is 8'3. With a false wall the first row of seating would be about 15 ½ ft, the second row 21 ½ and third row 26'. I'm planning on ceiling mounting the projector.

We already have the speakers and receiver (Onkyo NR809), and I am planning to buy an Oppo BD-93 so I will be able to use the zoom function and not have to manually zoom my projector for CIH.

My biggest question is regarding the screen size and projector. I will be building a false wall and using an AT screen. I am planning to have Jamestown custom build a frame and my brother in law works for a major movie theater company and he said he can get me screen material for free. They recently upgraded all of their theaters for digital 3D and have extra material. I am not sure what the material is exactly but it is what they use in their theaters.

I want the biggest screen that will work for my room. I have read quite a bit that people wish they had went bigger, I have not seen someone say they wish they had a smaller screen. I originally wanted to go 165 wide, but I think now that may have been too ambitious. I am thinking maybe 150-155 wide may be a little better. From my research, I think that leaves me with the BenQ W6000 as the only projector in the 2k price range that may work for a screen this size. Do you think it is possible to use a screen this big? How big do you think I can go? I have looked at the projector calculators and it looks like I might be able to go 165. At 155 it shows 15fL, is that bright enough?

The way our theater room was set up, all of the cables go to a room where our furnaces and water heaters are. It is about a 90 ft run for the cables. The house has two B&K CT-600's in this room with a couple of equipment racks and almost every room in the house has a control panel for the CT-600. Our internet modem and router are also in this room. We refer to this room as the control room. I believe the previous owners had the theater cables going there so they could have all of the media equipment in one place to send the signals to other rooms in the house also. The theater only has a DVI cable, there are no HDMI cables. Should I try to run a 90 ft HDMI to the theater or just use a DVI to HDMI adapter?

Thank you for your patience in reading this and thanks in advance for any advice you may have. I can try to take pictures and upload them if anyone thinks that would help answer the questions.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee /forum/post/20795769

I am planning to have Jamestown custom build a frame and my brother in law works for a major movie theater company and he said he can get me screen material for free. They recently upgraded all of their theaters for digital 3D and have extra material. I am not sure what the material is exactly but it is what they use in their theaters.

There's a good chance it will not be appropriate for your use. The perf pattern would have holes that are too large and too coarse for home viewing distances. Anyway, something to check.

Quote:
I want the biggest screen that will work for my room. I have read quite a bit that people wish they had went bigger, I have not seen someone say they wish they had a smaller screen. I originally wanted to go 165 wide, but I think now that may have been too ambitious. I am thinking maybe 150-155 wide may be a little better.

The 165" w screen has 48- deg view in the front row. It's large, but not crazy large. And then when you switch to 16x9 images, the view becomes 36 deg.

The real issue with that size screen is that is it 69" tall. Lay out a side view of your room with the 3 rows and check the sight lines. Can everyone see the bottom of the screen?

·
Registered
335 Posts
A few quick, shoot-from-the-hip thoughts:

1) You might want to re-post this in the HT builder section of this forum, as some of your issues go beyond CIH.

2) 90' sounds like a LONG run for either HDMI OR DVI. You may likely end up using some form of extender in order to ensure a consistently good signal over that length.

3) If you can home in on the projector, get it first, then try it out in the room using a bed sheet or fabric from a fabric shop. Or get some of that pro theater material - better to try it before you commit it to a frame. Try different sizes (width, height, ARs) while sitting in different places in the room.

4) see also here .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20795842

There's a good chance it will not be appropriate for your use. The perf pattern would have holes that are too large and too coarse for home viewing distances. Anyway, something to check.

The 165" w screen has 48- deg view in the front row. It's large, but not crazy large. And then when you switch to 16x9 images, the view becomes 36 deg.

The real issue with that size screen is that is it 69" tall. Lay out a side view of your room with the 3 rows and check the sight lines. Can everyone see the bottom of the screen?

I worry about the same thing with the screen material. I figure it is free so if it doesn't work I'll buy the Seymour Center Stage XD material like I was originally planning.

Good point about the sight lines. I had not thought of that so I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20795842

Agreed. The HFs will suffer quite bad because of this. This is why Steward created "mirco-perf" for HT and some of the weaves are even finer again. Also there is excess light loss to take into consideration. Even though the BenQ W6000 is a bit of light cannon, you don't want to be throwing away light if you don't have to.

Quote:

Nice

Quote:

How high are your risers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts