AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my UTV listed on EBay and I've got a couple questions...

I talked to DirecTV about how to transfer the reciever to a new owner. They said that I should not send the current access card with the unit, that the new owner would have to pay $20 for a new one. Can someone who's purchased a reciever from someone else lately verify this?

Also, is there a way to reset the machine (i.e. clear the pgm guide, recorded pgms, etc) and if I do a reset of my machine will it go into the demo mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

Al

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigAl
I've got my UTV listed on EBay and I've got a couple questions...

I talked to DirecTV about how to transfer the reciever to a new owner. They said that I should not send the current access card with the unit, that the new owner would have to pay $20 for a new one. Can someone who's purchased a reciever from someone else lately verify this?

Also, is there a way to reset the machine (i.e. clear the pgm guide, recorded pgms, etc) and if I do a reset of my machine will it go into the demo mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

Al
Bottom line, UTV's that include P3's fetch about $60-$80 more on eBay. UTV's that include P4's get just a little more, $10-$30.

That's just the economics... not a springboard for the moral, ethical, or legal implications of including the access card.

The 23552355 code will wipe most everything, and would have put it into demo mode a few weeks ago, but now the required file is being sent again, so it won't.

buttplug

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
That's just the economics... not a springboard for the moral, ethical, or legal implications of including the access card.
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with including an access card with the unit? The new owner can then simply call up and have that card activated instead of having to pay $20 for a new card. This card was purchased as a part of the UTV, so therefore, why can or should it not be included with the sale of the UTV?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently bought a UTV from a member here and he included the access card (p4). I called up DirecTV and they sent me a new card overnight. They would not activate the old card. They told me to destroy the previous card.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was just questioning what the moral or legal implications could be. I just don't see anything wrong with it.

I guess it also depends on who you talk to when you call. I bought a UTV off of ebay that included a P4 also, called them up and they activated it right away. I've also heard that it depends on how long the card has been deactived for.

·
Registered
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cyberbob25
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with including an access card with the unit? The new owner can then simply call up and have that card activated instead of having to pay $20 for a new card. This card was purchased as a part of the UTV, so therefore, why can or should it not be included with the sale of the UTV?
No they can't. The card is tied to your account. Once deactivated, it cannot be reactivated by anyone but you. The card is only useful to someone else if they are hacking their service. That is the only reason a receiver with a card nets a higher price.

In reality, you're better off taking a slightly lower price for your receiver and NOT include the card. There is always a chance that D* might not properly deactivate the card (you never know when a computer glitch might happen). In which case, the buyer could receive service free by piggybacking on your account.

My advice, destroy the card. A legitimate user needs to get a new card and we don't need to help hackers steal what we pay for. Besides, while many hackers might not subscribe if they couldn't get the service free, every time cards are hacked, it means new security needs to be created. This costs money, and guess who foots the bill when D* needs to recoup those dollars?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to update my add... I'd rather not have someone possibly using my card to steal service.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cyberbob25
I bought a UTV off of ebay that included a P4 also, called them up and they activated it right away. I've also heard that it depends on how long the card has been deactived for.
DirecTv will only activate a P4 that has never been activated before.

In the seller includes a never-used P4 with the UTV, there will be no problem activating it - even if that P4 was originally sold with another IRD - as long as it was never subscribed, they will activate it.

buttplug

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know for a fact that the unit I got was previously used, and with the access card that came with the machine. And yet it was still activated. Interesting.

I can kind of understand their reasons, but it kinda sucks. If you buy a used unit off of ebay, you get stuck paying another 20 bucks for a card that you already have. If it's a legit card, then it's in their system as a deactivated card, so where's the problem re-activating to someone else? I guess I just don't totally understand the system.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I too purchased my UTV used. It came with a previously activated P4 card. But this P4 card had only been used in this UTV unit. I simply called DTV after installation and was up and running 60 seconds later. Been working fine ever since. Could this have been an error by a new service rep to activate this card? Not even sure the DTV service rep was new, never asked..

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a really dumb question.

On some auction sites you can bid on SAT-HD300's that are New in Box and the seller states "Comes with brand new Access card no contract needed."

What does this mean?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn't take the chance of sending a card with the unit. If for some reason Directv doesn't deactivate your card and the new owner purchases PPV's with it, guess who gets billed? You!

Usually, Directv will send the new card for free with some sweet talk, especially when the purchaser is a new customer or adding an additional receiver to the account.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by abramsky
I have a really dumb question.

On some auction sites you can bid on SAT-HD300's that are New in Box and the seller states "Comes with brand new Access card no contract needed."

What does this mean?
That means that you can purchase the unit and just use it for OTA for example, or if you do subscribe the unit, you don't have to sign a contract. Although Directv will usually try to get you to commit for one year when you call. They will often throw in 6 months of Showtime and/or HBO for $2 a month or something similar.:D

FYI: The HD300 is a HDTV receiver, not a Ultimate or Tivo unit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have had it go either way. I have had DTV activate cards that have came with used units and I have had them refuse to activate and send me a new card. I have no idea how/why they choose to do one or the other. there is no question they can activate a used card. I have done it 2 or 3 times myself. They can also activate a card transferred from another UTV. Had them do that once too. The UTV was sent for repair and they told me to keep the card. They sent back a replacement UTV (not the same I sent them) and I popped the prior access card in and called DTV. Within 30 seconds the replacement UTV was up and running on an access card from a different UTV!

·
Registered
3 Posts
DTV will probably not allow a different person/address to activate a previously activated P4 Access Card (A/C) from another person/address. Although there is nothing that could technically stop them from activating a P4 A/C, doing so may be in violation of their policies. Changing it out is the only way to go. Keep in mind those costs to the customer for receiving an A/C are fees to continue to provide the customer service to everyone. If they don't charge those fees at the times the customer service is provided, then the rates go up for all of us (paying legitimately for the service). It also keeps the A/Cs out in circulation down to a minimum, at least as much as possible. And, to those who don't realize it, read the bottom of those access cards. They either say Property of NDS (P2s) or Property of DIRECTV (P3s & P4s). They never belong to the customer whether you received these Conditional Access Module (CAM) cards from DIRECTV, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. inside of a receiver, envelope, or from any employee. Every card has the statement that says it belongs to DIRECTV or it belongs to NDS under license by DIRECTV.

Some Entertainment Consultants (CSR's to you and me), may not know that a P4 A/C can be reactivated. But, it won't work to tell them so because they are not allowed to do so unless they are in a supervisory role (and haven't mentioned that fact to you) when you get them.

As in the case when it comes to including it in a sale with equipment, don't do it. It can very well haunt you in the future if someone does figure out the programming did stay with the card when they received the unit from your previously activated (but hopefully now disconnected) account. Better safe than sorry. You also wouldn't want to be the subject of any investigation where someone claimed you sold them an A/C for their sole purpose of distributing hacked A/C's, would you?

I certainly would want to keep the costs down on my monthly programming by preventing anyone from copying A/C's to beat the system.

·
Banned
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin67k
***It also keeps the A/Cs out in circulation down to a minimum, at least as much as possible.
Is it just me, or does that statement defy logic? If Dtv requires a *new* card every time a new person sub's a receiver, then that puts *MORE* cards out there! And by *RE-USING* an old access card, Dtv would not have to send out a new card, which would reduce the number of cards out there (cf. new card policy).

·
Registered
3 Posts
To: NLogN

Quote:
Is it just me, or does that statement defy logic? If Dtv requires a *new* card every time a new person sub's a receiver, then that puts *MORE* cards out there! And by *RE-USING* an old access card, Dtv would not have to send out a new card, which would reduce the number of cards out there.
Sorry. What I meant by "circulation" is not circulating through illegitimate user's hands.

Hackers collect access cards. Legitimate owners follow DIRECTV's directions and return or destroy used access cards. So eventually cards are removed from "circulation."

·
Banned
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin67k
Sorry. What I meant by "circulation" is not circulating through illegitimate user's hands.***
:confused: :confused: :confused: !!!!!

Anyhow...I still disagree. Only activating new cards will put more cards "out there," period. And Dtv has no clue what happens to their cards, except those that are returned. So, there must be some other reason for this policy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.