AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am in the process of planning my home theater (Rochester NY) and I've been trying to go through all the information here, but HOLY CATS there's alot to consider!!!! And my significant other doesn't want this to turn into a career so I dont have months and months to plan, so here goes with some initial questions (some preliminary info: The area designated for the home theater will be a closed room in the basement. the unfishined size is roughly 24' long by 13' wide. unfinished ceiling is 8.5'):

I want to include some form of sound isolation into my plans. The theater will be in the basement of a two story house and everyone in the house is a heavy sleeper. My SO thinks sound wont be an issue because she and the kids are all heavy sleepers, but im not so certain... One of the things I didnt want to do is put drywall on the celing of the theater (or anywhere else in the basement) because I'd rather not seal up the house infrastructure. Is that a real no-no? Or is it not that big a deal from a sound point of view?

Also, I think my primary viewing material will be blu-rays and I love the idea of a 2.35:1 screen, but I *dont* like the ideas of the extra cost of an anamorphic lens, and I doubly dont like the idea that some movie subtitles are out of frame when doing the CIH projection. If I go with a 16:9 screen, then I'm wondering how noticeable the black bars of cinemascope movies will be. Also, I'm not sure if the height may limit me (I'd like to do a stage and the unfinished cieling height of my basement is 8.5' *before* subtracting the flooring and the finished cieling being lowered due to existing ductwork...

I welcome people's thoughts on these (and any other) issues!

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico /forum/post/19541155

One of the things I didnt want to do is put drywall on the celing of the theater (or anywhere else in the basement) because I'd rather not seal up the house infrastructure. Is that a real no-no? Or is it not that big a deal from a sound point of view?

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank,

The drop ceiling is not sound isolating. If you need to keep it, that's dandy, but understand there's little sound isolating value with this. You need the mass of the drywall.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/19541291

Hi Frank,

The drop ceiling is not sound isolating. If you need to keep it, that's dandy, but understand there's little sound isolating value with this. You need the mass of the drywall.

I realize that a drop ceiling isnt sound isolating (and there isnt one there anyhow), but my question is if I treated it properly (lots of insulation? sound absorbing foam? etc) could I get a *reasonable* amount of sound reduction? Or would keeping a drop ceiling mean no real sound reduction at all? I dont need the room to be sound *proof*, just reduced...

Unfortunately, my circuit box is in the back corner of what will be my home theater room and I hate the idea of covering up the ceiling in a permanent way

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Insulation will do nothing in stopping mid and low frequencies. You need the mass of drywall, there is no other way of getting around this.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley /forum/post/19544140

Insulation will do nothing in stopping mid and low frequencies. You need the mass of drywall, there is no other way of getting around this.

There ya go

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico /forum/post/19541155

I love the idea of a 2.35:1 screen, but I *dont* like the ideas of the extra cost of an anamorphic lens, and I doubly dont like the idea that some movie subtitles are out of frame when doing the CIH projection.

Look into the Panasonic AE4000 with the memory zoom feature moving back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1 is a snap, no lens required.

Certain Bluray players will move the subtitles up. Oppo 83 is one and I suspect the newer replacement 93 will as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19544741

Look into the Panasonic AE4000 with the memory zoom feature moving back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1 is a snap, no lens required.

Certain Bluray players will move the subtitles up. Oppo 83 is one and I suspect the newer replacement 93 will as well.

Interesting that you should mention the Panasonic AE4000! Thats one of the projectors Im most interested in. Its still natively 16:9 tho right?

Its good to know that some blu-ray players will move the subtitles! I was a little worried about that. So that means I shouldnt rule out 2.35:1 screen...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts