AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my theater build is starting to get to the point of no return as to do with sound proofing I have some questions. Making my theater sound proof was never a real concern as it's just my wife and I and 99 time out of 100 we will both be watching a movie together. Now that I have really though about it a bit though my concern is the sound escaping the house and bothering a neighbour. My theater is on the second floor of my house and right now there are no houses next to me but that will not be true for very long. If I do nothing other than standard construction (2x4 construction with insulation, 1/2 drywall, 5/8 osb sheathing, house wrap, and vinyl siding) what are the chances of my theater really being able to be heard outside of my house?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings /forum/post/17022003

It all depends on what is driving your theater. If it is a home theater in a box, probably not much. If you have much bigger, than you should plan much more. Just my 2 cents.

As of right now I have 7 Klipsch R-5800-W in-wall speakers (horns with 8" drivers) and I'm leaning toward the Klipsch RSW-10d or the RW-12d subwoofers so I will have a little kick to it.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
And windows?

Assuming so, that will likely be your weak link.

When it comes to sound proofing, bass tends to travel further and is more difficult to contain. How far are houses apart where you live? 10' and it's an issue. 100' and it may not be.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/17022669

And windows?

Assuming so, that will likely be your weak link.

When it comes to sound proofing, bass tends to travel further and is more difficult to contain. How far are houses apart where you live? 10' and it's an issue. 100' and it may not be.

There is one window which I will cover. It's hard to say at this point how close the closest house will be but I would say that it will be 30 to 40 feet.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
oh oh.........hmmm you had to ask this question. 12 ft to my neighboor - window facing that way. And yeah no soundproofing because I only considered people living in my house. hmmm

Now one positive is that the lower part of the room is below grade so the material outside should work as a sound barrier. Obviously the window is not so about half the room is over.

I will let you know what I can hear outside my house (should be done in 3 weeks when visitors leave)

·
Registered
228 Posts
i am in the progress of finising my basement theater as well. i have no sheetrock up just insulation and studs. my basement is the same as above, being im on a hillside most of the basement is underground besides the back of theater which is 50% below ground and 50% above ground. on this side i have a window and outside that window 10 feet is another house being constructed, which is pretty much complete. i am in the same scenerio i dont want to disturb the neighbors. i took all my equipment into the basement and set it up. this consisted of an aperion intumus 4b system and 1 definitive tech supercube1 sub at the front of the theater and one at the rear. i then went to the neighbors house and went inside the home, bass galore!!. transformers were in his house.

i then ran a second test, the back rear sub is fairly close to the window spoken of above, i moved that sub to the the front of the theater as well, one on the left and the other on the right. went back over to the neighbors the bass was not as significant at all! i figure with some sheetrock of my own and plug in the window, i think i will be okay from disturbing the neighbors. my whole room is 37 feet long plus 10 feet between the homes. it was not the sounds and stuff to be heard, it was the bass, that stuff just carries.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Humm. It looks like it might be in my future best interests to do a little soundproofing now at least on my outside walls while I have the chance.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
It will be very interesting to know the outcome of this. I run movies on my deck (full 5.1 HTiB), sometimes I think too loud (Dark Knight, for instance) and the next day the neighbors say they can't hear a thing. Granted, I'm not running at a full 100w per channel all the time (though I don't think ANYONE does) but it gets pretty loud on the deck. When I ran a test of all my cables, my son said he could hear my sub outside at the neighbors fence line, but that was with open stud walls only.

I think the drop off out side will be pretty fast. I'm thinking the sub may be your main problem. The 18 piece big band I play in rehearses in a basement that is only insulated. The neighbors don't complain about the noise, they complain about the parking!

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the biggest difference in my application is that on several of the theaters I see are in basements and mine is on the 2nd floor. I have no idea how much of a difference that would make but it's got to have some effect. I just got off the phone with a local soundproofing company that carries Green Glue and the materials needed to do my soundproofing would be very affordable.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug /forum/post/17021720

Making my theater sound proof was never a real concern as it's just my wife and I and 99 time out of 100...

In my case, sound isolation was never an issue up until our first child was born, then it became a big deal...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts