AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in this forum, although I've been lurking here for the last couple months, since I decided I could wait no more on a plasma. I'm also encouraged by the great things you guys have been saying about the Panasonics, particularly their ability to deliver blacks (which had been holding me back from going plasma).

I had planned on getting the new Panasonic consumer HD when it comes out but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if the commercial model might be better for me (not to mention cheaper). But I have some questions about it that those of you who have received one might be able to answer.

1. I really like the idea of the customizable slots on the TH42PHD6UY. My ideal set up would be two DVI inputs and one component. Would that mean buying all three or would I be able to use the component input that comes with it. From the brouchure it looks like the component is part of a single board that fills two slots, which would mean I would have to buy all three.

2. Does the TH42PHD6UY do 480p, 720p, and 1080i through component AND DVI? It appears to be true from the brouchure, but I just want to make sure (the main thing stopping me from getting the consumer model is its apparent difficulties with 720p).

3. One thing I like about the commercial model is that I don't think it has speakers, which is fine by me. But given what is known about the features of the consumer version, is there anything I would be giving up in the area of picture settings, aspect ratio flexibility, etc. Even without comparing to the consumer version, do those of you who have the TH42PHD6UY find it adequate in this way?

I've run numerous searches, and check eagerly every day, but haven't seen answers to these specific questions. Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated. Because, of course, the right answers (the ones I want to hear anyway) mean I'll pull the trigger!

Thanks.......Mike

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
1) The TH42PHD6UY comes with a standard terminal (Photo below):

1 S-Video/Composite and 1 Component input (On slot 2 & slot 3 - Slot 1 comes empty).

The optional DVI-HDCP card can be fitted only on slot 1 & 2 (Not on slot 3).

So, in order to have 2 DVI inputs the standard terminal must be removed thus losing its inputs. However the VGA (D-Sub 15-pin) input accept component.

So you can buy 2 DVI cards and use on slot 1 & 2 - leave slot 3 empty -

use a HD-15/RCA component cable (Photo below) on the VGA input

Standard terminal:
http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1064029980.jpg

TH-42PHD6UY Back Inputs:
http://pic4.videogon.com/i/c/f/1060649489.gif

Top photo - The standard supplied terminal on slot 2 & 3 (Slot 1 comes empty). VGA input is the third from right

Middle photo - Showing all 3 slots empty.

Bottom photo - The 37" display that comes with 2 slots only

HD-15/RCA Component Cable:
http://gon8.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1061043351.jpg

* The S-Video/Composite inputs on Panasonic Plasmas are shared. You have to use either one. With both cables connected S-Video disables Composite

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Yup. For the DVI input you better do a search to confirm (I'm not sure).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) You're actually gaining with the Industrial (Commercial) model:

* Advanced Picture Settings

* 720p native

* Picture Size/Position Control

* Picture Adjustments Memory for each input (There's a trick to do it on the Consumer model)

* Screen Savers

* Option to have 2 DVI inputs :D

The only problem with Industrial (Commercial) Plasmas is about warranty. They have Carry-in warranty with not so many authorized repair centers as the Consumer (In-home Warranty).

See the list for Industrial Plasmas and other useful info here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=296057

·
Registered
207 Posts
The other negative I've heard about the commercial versions of plasma displays is that they emit more RFI than the consumer versions, which could result in undesirable interactions with other household electronics. Don't know how true this actually is, but I did notice that the Fujitsu consumer plasmas are specified as FCC Class B and the commercial models are FCC Class A, so maybe there is some validity to this. There's also been some discussion on this forum about higher audible noise levels of commercial displays. Do manufacturers pay less attention to the noise output of commercial displays since they are designed to be used in noisy environments like airports, trade show floors, etc. rather than in people's homes?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks Cosdog and Glauco!! I had the same questions, but Cosdog beat me to it. I was really into getting the consumer HD model (it looks really nice), but NOW I'm really thinking Commercial is the way to go (much more flexible).

I was thinking of going with two DVIs (one for DVD and one for STB). Could I use the component input for Video Games (is that the best option)? Thoughts? Thanks, again!

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Went with the commercial for many of the same reasons already listed. As for games - am awaiting a component/vga cable and will let you know how well it looks tomorrow! Hope it does what we all think it does!(Know works wonderfully on the component - hope it is just as good on the 15 pin input)

I have had two and there was not any buzzing from either. And I really listened as I am sensitive to that type of thing. Also have many compoonents, RF devices up near the Panny and I have not seen any tpe of interference. Not syaing you would want to run a short wave radio 2in from it - but so far nothing has caused a problem.

From a look and size perspective I also preferred the Panny commercial.

I am really happy with this unit and have access to both (good friend has the commercial). Both have a superb picture etc.

Therese

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your opinions. And thanks Glauco BruZZi for posting the pictures. What I hadn't caught is that a VGA input is outside of the removable slots. That's perfect...I already have a VGA/component cable I could use.

After reading your posts, I can't think of a good reason to go with the consumer model. I appreciate your help.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
this is probably a stupid question, but what the heck... If I want to run a vcd off of my laptop, do I just get a regular VGA cable (15-pin->15 pin), plug the laptop to the plasma and play it throught the Media Player in Full Screen mode?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.