AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear HB965TZ owners.

I'm considering buying this set as the succesor to my former LG-HC set, the heavily flawed LG HT762TZ...

To be 'sure' that I won't buy another set that I won't be using I would like to know the following stuff for sure, so I hope any of you know some of these questions:

- I want to connect my xbox (hdmi) and my laptop (hdmi) and have the sound come out of the speakers and have the image sent through to the tv (hdmi-out).

Now I've read somewhere that this is not always possible, because not all HDMI-implementations (HDMI Processing/HDMI repeating vs HDMI Switching / HDMI Passthrough) have the ability to split the video and sound, so in some implementations you need a separate SPDIF cable for the sound!

So, has anybody here tried this IRL and did it work correctly?

- What happens when you want to play a game om the game console without using the HT-set? Is that possible?

- Do the newer firmwares also support WMV-files?

- Does streaming big files (mkv/avi) from the network work well?

- What about subtitles?

- In my current set I can lower the sub-volume with max 5dB, and then it's still too hard (not handy late at night), can you lower the sub substantially on this set?

- If so, can you do this WITHOUT having to kill the file you are watching?

- Is it possible to listen to music from the network or usb-drive WITHOUT using the tv? (plasma!)

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Well below is my quick review of the LG-HB965TZ. I purchased one online about 6 months ago now and have been mostly pleased by it. Unfortunatley I have been let down on a few areas that were advertised and in particular LG have been very lacking in email or online support which is dissapointing.

- Connect your xbox (hdmi) and my laptop (hdmi). ## I found this was a bit hit and miss and i could not get an answer. I found that I could not get my SKY+ HDMI to play video through this device but only sound, or the other way, Video but no sound. The main solution i used was the SPDIF cable for the sound! and then Video works.

- Do the newer firmwares also support WMV-files? ## I have a WDShareStation connected and play most file types such as WMV and, MP4, AVI etc. I have found most play especially with the two firware releases in the last 6 months, but large MKV's for HD dont work and when you try it reboots the unit loosing you last position. Waiting for LG response on that.

- Does streaming big files (mkv/avi) from the network work well? ## Yes, the cabling i think is only 10/100 but that is enough for large local files. I was not so successful with wireless on large files and wouyld seem to get lots of lost packets and slowness.

- What about subtitles? ## This is more tricky, You can choose to select if its on a DVD or Blu-ray, but encoded inside a MKV or AVI didnt seem to work unless its hard coded as the default in the AVI.

- In my current set I can lower the sub-volume with max 5dB. ## This model has lots of sound options, to lower the bass, raise the voice, set 10x vitulat sound and also features like night mode (reduced base) and game mode. It also allows slow progression of sound so it does not blast you when you turn on a movie.

- If so, can you do this WITHOUT having to kill the file you are watching? ## All changable during a movie.

- Is it possible to listen to music from the network or usb-drive WITHOUT using the tv? (plasma!) ## Yes I do it all the time, The TV helps in menus but i have not found playlists in the system, or tested the IPOD docking playlists as yet.

- ## Something also a lot of people have found is at low sound switching between menu's there is a whistling noise. Some people really hate it but it depends on how sensative or good your ears are. There is a patch to be applied but this does not always work.

- ## Overall i still love this system and even at my best in a large room i was not able to get the volume above half way without it hurting my ears so way over powered.

Good luck and have a look around, especially if you want 3d as this wont support that.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answers! Although they came to late to make a decision, as I couldn't wait anymore and got the set last friday

I've connected my xbox and I have 5.1 sound! Same goes for the laptop, although I can't confirm if the sound is 2.0, 5.1DD or something else as the popup with info doesn't come up when the laptop is connected.

I've also played a high bitrate version of Avatar from the network without any problems (cable). I can't play WMV's though and I think I've the newest firmware (which took a very long time to download and update!).

I've also played a mkv with subs and the subs appeared although on a black background.

I LOVE the fact that I can crank down the sub quickly from the remote so it doesn't annoy the neighbours 5 houses down, a HUGE improvement over the older DVD-set

I even played a HD mkv tv-show from my phone with DLNA

One thing though, the new speakers are really bad compared to the ones from the older DVD-set. The sounds are flatter and voices sounds like they are coming from inside a tin can. So I used the speakers from the old set which I also like better from an aestetical point of view

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.