AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.......I am totally a newbie to the whole projector arena. Until today I was seriously considering buying a Tosh 65H80, but now I may be leaning toward a projector, specifically the NEC MultiSync VT540. I have read several posts on this projector and still have a few questions that I couldn't find clear cut answers to.

First, please know that I will be using this projector in a home theater. I plan on using it with prog-scan DVD and regular cable (no HDTV here in Japan). Then when getting back to the states I will be adding a HDTV decoder box. I do have component video switching available in my Sunfire Theater Grand II so that shouldn't be a problem.

If anyone can....please try to answer the following for me:

1) Can I hook the composite out, s-video out, component video out, from my pre-amp to the 540?

2) I am assuming that the 540 has a regular coax input too, is this correct?

3) Since it's native resolution is 4:3, that means I will have letterboxing on all widescreen material....correct?

4) How does the 540 display anamorphic DVD's?

5) What is a Panamorph (I've seen several references to it).

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Scott

·
Registered
423 Posts
1- yes

2- no

3- yes, unless you use a Panamorph or Isco

4- It properly squeezes them, for enhanced widescreen

5- Converts your 4x3 projector to 16x9, optically. Look up Isco as well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THank you.......so let me get this straight

1) Cool!

2) I guess this makes sense since to watch cable I could just run it through my VCR and send the composite signal to the 540. Duh!

3) Does that include even the component input (pro-scan DVD)?

4) So I would get the full resolution as if I was watching on a 16:9 TV, but I would have the letterboxing still?

5) Is this a add on lens?

So basically.....what I need to get is a DVDO I-Scan along with this and I'd be all set......correct?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hi KC. Welcome to the forum. I use a vt540 and I am very happy with it. I have not used a progressive scan dvd player with this unit so I can't really comment on that. However, I have used an iscan line doubler. It does do a good job but I would like to really stress going the htpc route instead. The line doubler looks good but the htpc is really what does it for me and I couldn't go back. I just watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon the other night on a 52x92 screen with a htpc (Radeon LE) and it was wonderful.

·
Registered
599 Posts
An HTPC will give you very good quality, but I drive my vt540 with a Toshiba 5109 progressive dvd player thru component and it looks fabulous. Good enough for me not to bother with the HTPC.

And now that I have a Skyworth dvd player, it's even better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just buy the projector and a decent DVD player. Get the other stuff after you've lived with it for a while. My interlaced DVD, fed straight in to component input, looks quite good, even without any tweaks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on whether progressive would be better than interlaced, assuming otherwise equivalent quality & both fed through component?

In both cases, you're going to be using the VT540's internal scaler to get to XGA resolution...

Regards

BB80301

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've got both a Nakamichi interlaced DVD player (DVD10) , and an inexpensive Pioneer progressive player (DV434). Fed directly in to the VT540 component input, there is no significant difference in a casual comparison.

I wound up using an iScan pro to RGB input, but for other reasons. The picture looks fine directly in from either player.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
BB80301, I think it entirely depends upon the equipment used, and no generalization about interlaced versus progressive could be made.

The absolute best progressive-scan output would be from a HTPC, since it would perform 3-2 pulldown, then line-double and scale to the native panel resolution of 1024X768 and change the refresh rate to 72Hz all in the digital domain, then do a single D/A conversion to drive the RGBHV input.

Second best would be a standalone DVD player with 3-2 pulldown and a very good deinterlacing chip - but the output would almost certainly be 720X480 @ 60Hz, into the projector scaler. Even if the projector scaler is excellant, there is extra processing of the signal - transcoding the YPbPr into RGBHV, scaling to panel resolution, etc. You could try both 4:3 and 16:9 source output to the projector, to see which scaler (DVD player vs. projector) gives you the best "squeeze" to widescreen.

Some inexpensive progressive DVD players downscale DVDs to 640X480, don't have have 3-2 pulldown, may not allow 16:9 output, and may even use a primitive de-interlacing algorithym like throwing away every other frame. I have seen such feature-lacking DVD players on sale at Fry's for less than $200 (refurbished).

Almost certainly, the output of a good interlaced DVD player would be better than an inexpensive progressive player, even with the extra handicap of an S-video connection. Some interlaced DVD players have many of the same features as the high-end progressive DVD players.

An additional complication results from using an external scaler/line doubler, as these vary widely in performance and features as well.

There just is no shortcut here, either do all the research for all the equipment, or ask for specific advice by model number if you already own a DVD player, or duplicate the equipment lineup of another member who has reported good or excellant DVD playback results.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.