AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions.. Hopefully someone can answer a few of them!

Am I correct that the benefits of a Torus screen are:

1- better corner/edge focus

2- brighter picture in center viewing area due to screen cupping inward

3- better arrangement for high-gain screens (less hotspotting in center, less light dropoff at outside edges, due to angles)

and.. are there any more benefits, other than bragging rights? :D

My other question- Do the Torus screens require a high-gain screen to realize benefits?

Would a Torus screen be any improvement over a flat screen if a low-gain screen is used, such as a traditional 1.0 gain paint, or a blackout cloth type material?

Thanks

- David

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*bump*

SOMEONE has to know SOMETHING about these screens!! :)

- David

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi David. I've built a Torus screen and can answer some of your questions. Your assumptions are correct except for the corner/edge focus. With my projector, an NEC 1352lc, it was very difficult to get good corner focus. The HD18 lenses could not focus. I ended up changing to HD145 lenses. Now the focus is as good as on a flat screen. I doubt that you would get better edge focus with other lenses.

You need the curved surface to compensate for the characteristics(hot spotting and color shift) of a high gain material. It would not make sense to use a 1.0 gain screen material. You would only make convergence, focus, and geometry more difficult with out any improvements.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.