Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I went yesterday and bought a Toshiba 50H81. This is my first projection tv, and i have a few questions. The first is I have read many posts on burn-in, and i belive I have a handle on that problem, turn down the brightness, and use "fill" modes as much as possible for the first few months. Is there anything else i need to do to "break-in" this unit?? Second, are there any special adjustments that others have found out to get the most use and value out of this set??

I have spent several months researching this purchase, started looking at direct-view, the Sony projection, then Panansonic, then finally Toshiba. I hope I have made the right choice.

BTW, I posted earlier on this forum about Sears price match, and many said they only price match on certain sites. In my situation this was not the case, as they matched a price on Continenal Trading Co. of 2095 with no shipping. I dont know it this is the actual policy of Sears, or if my salesman just did it to get the sale. But he said I had 30 day price protection, so if anyone knows of a lesser price i would love to know!!

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently traded a TOSH 61H70 for the 50H81. After doing the basic adjustments located all over this forum and then going in to the service menu to really tweak the convergence, I am very happy with the set. I have it hooked up to the DST-3000 and a cheap progressive scan JVC dvd player that got great reviews in Sound and Vision magazine. When watching the Florida/Georgia game (GO GATORS) this past weekend in high-def via OTA, I noticed a few more things that have to be adjusted. HDNet looks incredible. I really don't have a critical eye and did not care to do the other manual adjustments available on Keohi's website. I would have to say I am really happy with the set after basic adjustments. Congratulations, and enjoy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Use Avia or Video Essentials for so tuning. Do a 9-point conversion or maybe a 56-point conversion to tighten up the lines.

Keohi and *************** are two places you can check out for lots of tips on the 50H81. The Toshiba forum on the SPot is starting to rival their Mitsubishi forum as another definitive place to check for info on the respective brands.

If you decide to look at threads at the SPot concerning "ghost images", ghost lines, video/raster ringing, etc., do so at your own risk. In this case, ignorance is bliss. But if you do see that you have one of the problems associated with these H81 and HX81 sets, you might check into return/exchange policies at Sears.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any advice on the "break-in" period for rptv's?? I have heard different things, and i would like to know if any are crediable.

Thanks....

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
From the posts I've read I've formed the following general impressions about the break-in period:
  • Turn down the contrast immediately to avoid burn-in
  • Expect the set's geometry and convergence to drift during the first hundred or so hours, it should gradually stabilize after than. So don't spend too much time tweaking the set 'cause you'll just have to readjust it again.
  • Don't leave the TV turned on continuously in order to "run up the hours" to get past the break-in period. Warm-up and cool-down are part of the break-in process - turn the TV on for a period of time each day and off at least overnight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.