AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to assume this is a repeat question, but I've searched the forums high and low and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm going to buy either a Panny EDTV Plasma or the Maxent HDTV Plasma this weekend. I was told by some BBY salesreps that I should invest in a $500 clean power thing from Monster. I was also told by friends I should just hook it into a surge protector.

What is the recommended method of powering up the TV? Do I get the clean power filter, a surge protector, a UPS, direct-to-wall, or a combination?

I'm not to concerned about making the picture as clean and crisp as possible. It's just something for the apartment that we can hang on the wall. But, I live in Orlando, the lightning capital of the world, so I don't want to risk blowing the thing out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, you don't need to spend $500 on this...at least, that's my opinion....but I would recommend plugging it into something other than directly into the wall. If you've got an outlet behind the TV and intend to use that then you'd probably want the Monster HTFS500 for $300 because it's compact and will fit behind your TV on the wall. However, if you're planning on running the power cord down to the floor then your options open up endlessly. I personally use the Monster HTS1000MKII (MSRP $150) for my home theater. I don't have any experience with the $500+ items out there so maybe someone else can give you a better recommendation than me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I personaly recomend getting a good $200 UPS and thats all as the power then has to go through the batteries first before going into the TV an your other audio equipment this will prevent any bad power from reaching it. The batteries act as a filter and also smoth out the AC signwave.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Of course the BB sales rep will tell you this. All Monster products have a HUGE price markup at retail stores (if I recall numbers correctly most cables have a +90% price markup and most power supplys/surge protectors have between 30-60% markups). That is pure profit. Are they good products? Yes, but you can get the same performance for 1/2 the cost on just about everything.

If you want surge protection, go look at Brickwall or APC. Be smart though. You want something that will output a true sine wave if you are looking at surge protectors/power conditioners. Some of the cheaper line conditioners will not output a true sine wave, but instead a stepped square wave. This can play havoc with some electronics, but other electronics may be perfectly fine (but I wouldn't take the risk if you are not certain).

I personally own a Monster HTS 5100, but I paid no where near retail price (and I really mean no where NEAR). I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, as it is not worth retail in my opinion. It is, in my opinion, worth it if it is around 70% off... But I don't use this as a surge protector and wouldn't want you too either. Best two things out there are either Brickwall or APC. I use it purely for line conditioning. I have a Brickwall for my surge protection (I also have APC UPS's that I use in other parts of the house and they are very good as well, just be sure to get the correct model lines for having true sine wave output).

If you simply want surge protection, Brickwall will be more then enough. It is one of the few to meet IEEE’s category B3 harsh environment code (in otherwords protect against a minumum of 1000 surges, of 6000V, 3000A). It is worth the $219 retail for the 8 outlet PW8R15AUD protector.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can personally guarantee that the markup on Monster cables is not 90% or anywhere near it. If that were true, then that would mean that Monster only grosses $10 on a $100 cable and then subtract the cost to manufacturer the cable. Out of respect for my employer I won't say the exact markup amount but trust me, it's not 90%. Electronics stores would be showing much higher year-end profits if that were true.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Towel_Lint
I can personally guarantee that the markup on Monster cables is not 90% or anywhere near it. If that were true, then that would mean that Monster only grosses $10 on a $100 cable and then subtract the cost to manufacturer the cable. Out of respect for my employer I won't say the exact markup amount but trust me, it's not 90%. Electronics stores would be showing much higher year-end profits if that were true.
So you're saying they don't make at least 10% on sales?? I find that very hard to believe. From the markups I've seen and having a basic idea of raw costs even with marketing and packaging they are making much more than 10% of sales.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerscrossed
So you're saying they don't make at least 10% on sales?? I find that very hard to believe. From the markups I've seen and having a basic idea of raw costs even with marketing and packaging they are making much more than 10% of sales.
Huh??????

Read his post again.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I would certainly recommend putting any expensive piece of electronics on a surge suppressor. A decent MOV based unit is fine.

If your AC line voltage is within specs most of the time, you don't need a UPS unless you want to watch the TV during a power outage. Not as strange as it might seem. I use one to find out what is going on during extended outages. If you frequently have over/under voltage probles, e.g. brown outs, a line interactive UPS might be a good idea.

The value of any addition filtering provided by an external device can be controversial. The power supply of the set already inherently does this to one degree or another. Some folks think you need more than that. Some don't.

The only UPSs where the batteries "act as a filter" during normal operation are dual conversion units. Actually they don't even do that. They totally regenerate the AC waveform, adding their own special kind of noise. Neither the line interactive or more common standby kinds do that unless the input voltage goes far enough out of range, e.g. during a power blackout.

What is a "sign" wave?

·
Registered
446 Posts
fingerscrossed-

what I meant was that if the store is making 90% profit on a $100 cable then that means they bought the cable from Monster for $10. If Monster sold the cable for $10, their profit would be something less than that because obviously it costs them something to make the cable. Therefore, on a cable that sells for $100 in the store, Monster would be making less than $10 on it. Trust me, that's not how it's going down. Monster may be a small company (only 750 employees total) but they've just had a ballpark named after them....I think that says something.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Towel_Lint
fingerscrossed-

what I meant was that if the store is making 90% profit on a $100 cable then that means they bought the cable from Monster for $10. If Monster sold the cable for $10, their profit would be something less than that because obviously it costs them something to make the cable. Therefore, on a cable that sells for $100 in the store, Monster would be making less than $10 on it. Trust me, that's not how it's going down. Monster may be a small company (only 750 employees total) but they've just had a ballpark named after them....I think that says something.
Monster did not have a ballpark named after them. They paid millions of dollars to have their name put on a ballpark. Monster is certainly making a fair amount of profit, and they should. If they were stupid like Gateway or Dell, they would have come out with a TV. Instead they lead an entire trend in cable solutions that started with car audio, and has exploded from there. I agree that their stuff is overpriced, but it is great stuff. As long as the public is willing to pay the high price, the price will not go down.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well guys, I can vouch for an inexpensive UPS not conditioning power to my LCD TV. I have been having some issues with it and when I called for warranty support and explained that I had it on a battery backup, they told me that they have had similar issues with people using battery backups on their TVs.

So.......I have power outages here and there, and really like the idea of a UPS......yet I need the power conditioning and apparently clean power for my TV.

So here is my question: Any proven battery backups out there that will filter the power correctly that you recommend? Or, would it be a problem to use a power conditioner such as one of the Monster's mentioned earlier in conjunction with the UPS........plug the conditioner into the UPS???

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
elwood58 - heh heh yeah I guess the way you put it is better (paid to have their name on a ballpark). The way I put it makes it sound like they won the Nobel Peace Prize or something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell
I personally own a Monster HTS 5100, but I paid no where near retail price (and I really mean no where NEAR).

I work for a company that has accomodations with Monster. I get any of their home theatre equipment for 60% off retail. I can nab a HTS 5100 for around $260. I understand this will protect the plasma against spikes, brown-outs, and other power flaws. How about power loss? Is it recommended to put a plasma on a UPS system in case the power goes out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.