AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my video card, and am curious about the cards that have S-Video output built in. For 3D games, how does the TV output look like compared to console games (Dreamcast, PS2)? Is the TV-out resolution limited to 800x600? How does DVD playback look like compared to consumer electronic DVD players? Are there some cards that output better TV video than others? Which s/w DVD player is best for use to display thru a video card w/ TV-out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a Matrox G450 for its TV out and the picture quality via S-VHS is very favourable on my sony TV. It does not compare so well to a console on an RGB cable but is still VERY good!

Hope this helps

BCOS

·
Registered
839 Posts
I tried the Matrox tv-out (dvd playback was the only goal) and it was quite good I have to admit.

However, the HW+ solution, again, only for dvd playback, is the best solution today IMO for interlaced output.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can the H+ card be used to output to TV anything displayed on the VGA monitor, or just DVD playback?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Clearly, the HW+ is an mpeg2/mpeg1 hardware decoder. It's doing "hardwired" overlay using a passthrough cable for vga display. Thus, yes, you can have your desktop on the vga monitor with dvd playback in a window.

But to the tv, using the interlaced analog video output, you'll get only the result of the hardware decoding ... no desktop will show on your tv. The HW+ is different from a vga card with tv-out on this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.