AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres what i have planned. gonna purchase the 46" 850 samsung, HT-CT100 2.1 sound bar,Wii,XBOX 360 and possible a blue ray player.

now im hoping someone with the same lcd or knowledge of this can answer my question. and im hoping for a garrentee answe so i know which way i plan to do this.

1:if i plug in my 2.1 sound bar in the tv using the toslink digital and use hdmi cables for all my other stuff "wii,xbox,blueray" and plug them into the tv using the hdmi cables. will i get sound out of the speakers no matter what im doing? watching tv,playing xbox or Wii and or blue ray?

2: and if i do this and it will work willthe sound quality be the same as if i was just using the 2.1 plugged into the wii,xbox,etc?

·
Registered
465 Posts
1) I believe all of samsung's sets output stereo out (2.0) when it is coming from another source (confirmed in the manual when using HDMI). In other words, when you're trying to use the tv as a pass-through. If you're listening to over-the-air antenna stuff using the tv's tuner, it will output up to 5.1. In other words, what you want to do won't give you the extra .1 sub channel you want, UNLESS your system is splitting it for you (it does the 2.0 to 2.1 separation).

2) It might be, might not be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not planning to use the tv's tuner i plan to have a cable box.

what i want to know is if i have all my consoles or players connected tot he tv through hdmi cables will i get the sound out the 2.1 speakers that will be connected to the tv through a optical toslink?

also all this new tv stuff is new to me so i kinda know what ur saying but then again i dont.
can you explain as if i were a dumb arse please? lol

·
Registered
465 Posts
Haha, basically, no.

HDMI has some rights issues and will not "pass through" 5.1 audio out from the TV. The only 5.1 output you can get from the TV is if it's coming from the antenna. Everything else (your cable box) will go into the TV as 5.1, but the optical out will only put out 2.0 stereo. What you want to do won't work, UNLESS your 2.1 speaker system separates the 2.0 into 2.1 (for the subwoofer). Whatever you do, you will not get 2.1 or 5.1 into your soundbar.

This is why new speaker systems have a zillion inputs nowadays. 2.1 soundbars are slightly smaller so you won't always get everything you want.

What you need to do is connect everything separately into the sound bar. For example, I have my laptop connected via 3.5mm cable, my TV via optical (for antenna broadcasts), and my bluray player via optical. ALL of these go directly to my sound system - no sound goes INTO the TV.

·
Registered
465 Posts
To say again:

Yes, at all times the optical out from the tv WILL output sound to your soundbar. But, this sound will only be stereo 2.0 sound. It will not be 5.1 surround sound if you want the home theater experience.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just looked up the specs on the sony ht-ct100

The biggest things are that it has a lot of inputs, mainly 3 HDMI in and 3 optical in, with one HDMI out. The HDMI in supports 1080p at both 60hz and 24hz.

Basically what this means, is that I suggest you plug in all of your HDMI sources into your CT100, NOT your tv. The sound system has an HDMI output, which means it will take the sound from the HDMI (up to 5.1) and send the video out to the TV. This is a great feature nowadays, IF you want to control your tv video via your sound system. Your sound system now becomes the brains of the operation, rather than the TV.

If not, then you will have to connect all of the devices individually.

Either way, you have more than enough inputs to get you through. But beware, that outputting only optical from the TV will only give you 2.0 stereo surround. You want better sound, go with everything HDMI through the sound system first (then one HDMI out to tv), or connect all the opticals separately into the sound system (and connect all your HDMI's to the tv)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So your saying i should dump the optical toslink connection to the tv and connect with the hdmi to the tv and ill get 5.1 sound through the speakers?

plus connect my consoles and blue ray to the speaker system with the hdmi cable too? and this will work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts