AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from 2 front monitor loudspeakers and a subwoofer to 2 fronts, a center, and a subwoofer. The speakers are all Dana's and the receiver is an Onkyo 605.

Using this new setup I have a few questions:

1. I know with my 2.1 setup the receiver just used stereo 2.1 modes. There is no designated 3.1 mode, so now that I have a center channel is it going to switch me to 5.1 mode? If so, will I basically being lose some sounds due to me not having rear speakers? Is there anyway to prevent this? I basically just want it to act like I have a 2.1 system, but channel voices through the center speaker.

2. What are the advantages/disadvantages of setting all monitor loudspeakers to full band mode and enabling the "double bass" option compared to using a cross-over at 60hz or 80hz for the loudspeakers and subwoofer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
You'll be getting "double bass" from 40 Hz to 80 Hz or so. Therefore, you'll be getting "half bass" from 40 Hz and down. Running fronts full range with a sub only makes sense if the fronts have as much extension as the sub. Otherwise, with the system calibrated correctly, low bass will be light, unless you kick it up manually.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasabin /forum/post/17052210

1. I know with my 2.1 setup the receiver just used stereo 2.1 modes. There is no designated 3.1 mode, so now that I have a center channel is it going to switch me to 5.1 mode? If so, will I basically being lose some sounds due to me not having rear speakers? Is there anyway to prevent this? I basically just want it to act like I have a 2.1 system, but channel voices through the center speaker.

You go into the setup menu and tell the AVR that you do not have surround or rear speakers. It should reroute the signals appropriately.

Quote:
2. What are the advantages/disadvantages of setting all monitor loudspeakers to full band mode and enabling the "double bass" option compared to using a cross-over at 60hz or 80hz for the loudspeakers and subwoofer?

The only advantage is for those who like "lots of bass" at the expense of clarity and power handling. Generally, it is best to use the bass management to reroute the low end to the subwoofer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/17054129

The only advantage is for those who like "lots of bass" at the expense of clarity and power handling. Generally, it is best to use the bass management to reroute the low end to the subwoofer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/17052269

You'll be getting "double bass" from 40 Hz to 80 Hz or so. Therefore, you'll be getting "half bass" from 40 Hz and down. Running fronts full range with a sub only makes sense if the fronts have as much extension as the sub. Otherwise, with the system calibrated correctly, low bass will be light, unless you kick it up manually.

Thanks for the answers, but I don't know that much about audio so I'm having a bit of trouble following what either of you are saying. What is power handling and clarity exactly? How does double bass reduce them? By reducing clarity do you mean that the bass will be louder than normal and thus will block other sounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/17052269

Otherwise, with the system calibrated correctly, low bass will be light, unless you kick it up manually.

I don't really understand what this means as in what the "low bass will be light" is referring to. Does that mean that if I use double bass lower bass sounds will come out lighter than they should because it assigns some of those sounds to the loudspeakers which cannot go that low and thus don't produce any sound?

So yea, I'm not sure I really understand the disadvantages, but it sounds like both of you think I should have it on cross-over mode instead of full band with double bass. I'm going to set it to cross-over, but I would still like to understand more about the advantages/disadvantages between the two settings so if you could explain things in simpler terms for me that would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.