AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if this is the wrong place for this question.

I'm looking for information which explains the difference between digital and analog component video. I'm having to integrate digital component into a system.

I've googled for the information, but don't seem to be asking the right questions.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did not know there was such a thing as digital component video. I suppose it's possible that there is some pro format that uses this naming convention, which I would not be aware of. But if I am in fact correct -- and there is no such thing -- then it would be useful to know what you mean by it:

There are different Hz capabilities of component video connections; some will support 1080p, others only 1080i. Is this what you are referring to?

Are you using different connectors for your digital and analog versions? Please describe.

Are you perhaps talking about the source material and not the connection (e.g. digital tv)? What source are you coming from, and how are you getting to "digital" component vs. analog component video?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
"Digital Component Video" can mean a lot of things.

HDMI & DVI are both digital component video. SDI/HDSDI is digital component video on the professional side.

HDMI and DVI are quasi parallel interfaces with RGB and clock in serial but seperate form carried by four twisted wire pairs.

SDI/HDSDI is a full serial interface with the three components time division multiplexed over a single coax cable.

There were also full parallel implementations of SD and HD digital video which in the HD case took a 50 wire cable. Obviously these interfaces are largely obsolete.

Analog component video is always three seperate cables and can actually be four or five cables depending on how sync is carried along.

Again, what exactly are you trying to interface?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.