AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I’m a newcomer here, but over the years have read many posts from this forum in relation to AV. I want to start off saying thank you to all of the contributors who have provided valuable opinions and facts to myself as well as I’m sure many others who are (and are not) registered on this site.

I’m in the process of building a new construction home, and my wife has decreed in-wall/ceiling speakers are going to be our next setup. Honestly the current setup is just a 5.1.2 sound bar system. I’m a little bit of a neat freak so I’m okay with in wall/ceiling. I also want to be clear what I’m looking for out of a speaker system. I want good sound that will fill the living room nicely for theater and all areas for music (from what I’ve read, mismatching speaker brands isn’t much of an issue with theater but with music listening it can be an issue because of timbre differences in the brands). Due to the living space and the listening position I would want pivoting horns/tweeters and/or angled speakers.

The living room is going to be about 19’ x 17’ that I want to put in a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 (if having side surrounds and 2 atmos in the ceiling doesn’t mess things up for a 7.1.2) however due to the open layout of the home with the dining and kitchen included, it’s more like a 19’ x 40’ open space that sound will bleed into. I will probably be putting in another pre-wire for a 2nd in-wall sub if I feel one just doesn’t seem enough. My wife and I are also going to be putting a few additional ceiling speakers in the kitchen, outdoor patio, and office for music.

I’ve spent about 40 hours worth of time this week alone looking at different speakers (and the placement that would work best in the new home, in an attempt to future proof my setup). I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s just too vast of a sea of speaker companies out there for me to really know what’s going to be best for my situation.

The only thing I’m certain about is the in wall sub I want to get is the Definitive Technology In-Wall Sub 10/10 & SubAmp 600.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
You may want to post a photo or photos of the room, or at least a drawing of the layout.

But in general, 5.1.4 is more pleasing than 7.1.2. Even Dolby says so.

Regarding speaker recommendations: What is your budget for the five main speakers? There are vastly different choices that are best for a room that size if your budget is $1000 versus $5000.

In the $1000 range, something very efficient and horn loaded, like HSU (HIW-1 Horn In-Wall Speaker) is a great choice. You will likely be sitting a ways from the speakers and these will let you get the kind of volume you need at a competitive price. If you can get closer to the $5000 mark, the number of options increase as the budget goes up.

Regarding subs: If you must have in wall subs, those are not bad. They have the performance of a subwoofer that costs half as much (or less) but isn't in the wall. But I understand sometimes compromise is necessary!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first I had no idea what the budget would look like, my wife came up with the number of 10,000k as a budget. I was easily able to hit that mark looking at all Klipsch in-wall/ceiling items (with the exception of the sub), I also made a 2nd config using all Definitive Technology around the same price point, but this is not including other speakers in the home, only the HT ones in the living room.

I very much feel the need for pivoting tweeters/horns and possibly pivoting woofers (Klipsch CDT-5800-C II as an example).

I've read though that the Klipsch are overpriced for what you're getting for sound quality, and I've read that Definitive Technology hit good lows but that sounds like it may also be it's downside due to mids coming off as muddled.

As far as receivers, I'm looking at the Denon AVR-X4700H for it's total channels and 3 zones, I'm assuming if I wanted more channels though for whole home audio I would need to use the pre-outs along with another amp correct?

The in-wall sub(s) unfortunately are necessary, I went with the DT sub due to it's lower frequency than what I could find from other brands so far.

I'll work on getting a layout of the room.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
Well, let's start by saying the INWALL speaker for the main channels (ie, the five channels) is 1000% superior to IN CEILING speakers. And getting those right are what you should concentrate on. (The overhead Dolby Atmos speakers can be just about anything.)

So, assuming you could go as high as $1k per speaker for the fine main speakers, you have lots of great options. Neither Klipsch nor Definitive Tech are bad. Unless you know you like Klipsch, Def Tech is the more neutral choice of the two.

Brands to consider that are often more highly regarded include FOCAL, KEF, PSB, REVEL, TRIAD, RBH.

Something to consider is what brands your installer has available, unless you are cutting the drywall and running speaker wire yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the information, I'll have to look at those brands as well. I have attached a drawing of what I'm currently working with, unless I bought a new couch, the current one is an L shape, which I know is not ideal for theater. I may also just want to opt for a 5.1.2 setup instead.

We have 2 small children currently and probably a 3rd by the time this home is done, so the living space kind of needs to stay as open as possible, it's going to unfortunately be the main play area.

Red is LCR
Orange are subs
Green are atmos
Yellow are surrounds

There's a fine line by the LCR where I may want to put a 120" UST in the future, which is why L&R are placed where they are, sub placement would be okay since they're lower to the ground I'm assuming. Center channel may be a bar instead of an in-wall, I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about now in the post above? For whatever reason it showed up on my laptop, but not on my phone. So I deleted and re-added it. Also I should mention the 2 seats facing the TV on the L shaped couch are currently the only two my wife and I really care about (our seats lol). The oldest is 6 years old and currently she only cares about if she can hear her cartoon shows.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
Yep, I can see it how. I think you have made good choices with your layout.

The ATMOS locations are challenging since you are close to the back wall but this seems workable.

You will need to pay attention to speaker output, at 13 feet, but it won't be hard to achieve the sound levels you will need.

Are you working with an installer?

I would kind of suspect they MIGHT not do the best job of setting up the subs. Due to the location of the subs, a little work with phase will be important. But that's not the thing you are working on for now.

In terms of selecting speakers, personally, I would tend to choose from among the brands the installer has installed before on the theory that they know how to dial them in well......except that I'm a picky person and might actually push for them to use something like Triad, which I am a big fan of and could handle your room very well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not opposed to moving the couch up another 1-1.5 feet to give a little more room for the surrounds and atmos and their effect. Currently with the builder they’re just throwing in prewire to my knowledge and the guys running it are just low voltage technicians. They’ll probably just put a blank face plate over the locations. I’m trying to figure out placement and perhaps I can get them to just run the wire without punching holes into the drywall and I’ll get some custom installers to take over from there and fish the prewires to where they need to be.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. If they will let you specify or give them wire, I recomend you do so. Give them a giant spool of 12 gauge in wall rated speaker wire. Probably cost you less than $100. And will be far more robust than what they usually put in, I would guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help! Quick question, when I’m looking at Focal I see the 100 and 300 in-wall/ceiling product lines. How big is the difference between the two product lines? The price is about double.

If I were to use 300’s for LCR, would they match the 100s in terms of timber/pitch for remaining speakers in the home when listening to music?

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
Yes I wouldn't worry about timbre match (ie, using the 100 or smaller in the ceiling while using the 300s in the walls). Focal is pretty good about matching and our ears are forgiving of overhead sound. If budget is an issue I would overspend on the in wall speakers and underspend on the ceiling speakers. Overall that will create a more impressive system, imo.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hello!

I’m a newcomer here, but over the years have read many posts from this forum in relation to AV. I want to start off saying thank you to all of the contributors who have provided valuable opinions and facts to myself as well as I’m sure many others who are (and are not) registered on this site.

I’m in the process of building a new construction home, and my wife has decreed in-wall/ceiling speakers are going to be our next setup. Honestly the current setup is just a 5.1.2 sound bar system. I’m a little bit of a neat freak so I’m okay with in wall/ceiling. I also want to be clear what I’m looking for out of a speaker system. I want good sound that will fill the living room nicely for theater and all areas for music (from what I’ve read, mismatching speaker brands isn’t much of an issue with theater but with music listening it can be an issue because of timbre differences in the brands). Due to the living space and the listening position I would want pivoting horns/tweeters and/or angled speakers.

The living room is going to be about 19’ x 17’ that I want to put in a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 (if having side surrounds and 2 atmos in the ceiling doesn’t mess things up for a 7.1.2) however due to the open layout of the home with the dining and kitchen included, it’s more like a 19’ x 40’ open space that sound will bleed into. I will probably be putting in another pre-wire for a 2nd in-wall sub if I feel one just doesn’t seem enough. My wife and I are also going to be putting a few additional ceiling speakers in the kitchen, outdoor patio, and office for music.

I’ve spent about 40 hours worth of time this week alone looking at different speakers (and the placement that would work best in the new home, in an attempt to future proof my setup). I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s just too vast of a sea of speaker companies out there for me to really know what’s going to be best for my situation.

The only thing I’m certain about is the in wall sub I want to get is the Definitive Technology In-Wall Sub 10/10 & SubAmp 600.
Sounds like I was in a similar situation but was not forced by my wife but rather me. Where I live in Arlington VA. square footage comes at a premium and wasting space on floor standing speakers is not good, I also have a5 year old autistic son and floor standing speakers are not a smart option. I have an all in-wall/ in-ceiling setup, however in-wall subs are a waste if you want good bass and do not want to spend a kings ransom. I live in a condo the room is 19' wide and 21' long( these dimensions include a kitchen and dining room and the room is not closed off to a hallway that connects to the rest of the condo which is 1340sqft. I have a 5.2.4 atmos setup with 5 Bowers and Wilkins CWM7.3 3-way in-walls for the bed channels and 4 Bowers and Wilkins CCM682 in- ceiling speakers. If I was to do it again I get Bowers and Wilkins CCM7.3 in ceiling speakers for my 4 atmos speakers which are identical to my CWM7.3 In-wall speakers, for Subs I have two JL Audio Fathom F112v2 subs and my tv is a 77" LG OLED CX. When friends come over to watch movies my setup gets nothing but praise and these are video and audiophile friends who know something about AV. Going the in-wall route is going to cost more money than going the free standing route. Not all in-wall speakers are the same make sure that whatever speaker you get has a back box and the walls are treated properly as the manufacturer suggests or you are not going to be happy. You do not have to buy all of your gear at once, start with 5.1 and get the best 5 bed channels you can afford and subs, have the atmos speakers wired and place the speakers at later date. Having the walls treated and wired properly could cost you $5,000 alone.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
With a 10K budget, look at the Totem Tribe III for your front 3, Totem Kin for in-wall surrounds and Kin in-ceiling for Atmos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do any of you feel about Polk (RT and RC products)? Thinking of using them for surrounds and Atmos, and for the other in-ceiling speakers in the home. I’ll drop the remaining money on the front setup of the theater and additional ceiling speakers/amps in for other areas of the home.

Are the Polk 80F/X-RT any good? I noticed they have a lower sensitivity than most other brands I’ve been looking at I suppose I’m concerned that they may not output enough compared to others around 92db sensitivity.

Looking at the RC series I’d probably do 80i and 85i for surrounds and ceiling speakers.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts