AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a question. I've just moved into a new house (renting). My house is interesting in that the living room is its own separate room on the second floor. I want to turn this into my home theater / gaming office area.

I have a wall that is about 80". The middle of the wall sticks out about 4" in depth and has a surface of 64". I think it only has 1 stud in it and I'm pretty sure its wood. I moved a stud finder around and found one, nailed a finishing nail into it and had to pull it out with a claw hammer.

So my question is, how the hell do I hang a 52" Samsung LCD TV that is about 75 lbs off this thing? Im renting so I don't want to cut huge holes or anything into the wall.

I'm new to all of this, fairly competant in building stuff and electronics and want to get this to be a pretty awesome room. Once I start tackling this thing, I'll post up some progress pics. Should be pretty cool.

Thanks to any advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, on a side note... I plan on starting to put together some good quality audio components.

I can't afford anything extreme right off the bat, but I would like to invest in a quality system. Piece by piece if need be. I guess price range would be about $200-$400 per purchase. Can anyone recommend a starting point? I literally have nothing but a TV, XBOX, PS3.

Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Unless it was build wrong there should be a stud every 16 or 24 inches.... use that to try and find the next one... I doubt they ran almost a full sheet of drywall with only one stud..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure because its like... an extension of a wall (if that makes sense) or a false wall to stick out of a real wall for decoration that they just use one stud.

Also.... I'm stationed in the UK and for some reason buildings don't seem to be built like America.......

·
Registered
635 Posts
Prime example of where a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
942 Posts
As the others mentioned, a picture would help. But 75 lbs is fairly heavy to support a TV on 1 stud. I'd be especially suspect if the person who put the false wall up even toenailed it in correctly to the top and bottom plate given that the stud spacing appears to questionable. I'd open up the wall horizontally about 12" from the center stud to the corner studs and run 2-2 x 4s across where you will mount the TV. Make sure to use a mirror/flashlight to make sure the center stud is toe-nailed securely to the top/bottom plates).

Would 1 stud support a 75 lb TV?...probably. Would I risk it? No given that the stud spacing is suspect. Reinstall the cut sheetrock, tape, spakle, and paint

1 - 8 of 8 Posts