AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering ACI for a decicated HT/music room (80/20). The music is all over the spectrum, but I'd say jazz/blues/funk covers the majority of our listening. The room is 13x23x8, in my basement and in process of being finished. It will be carpeted, insulated, sheet rocked, etc. and have solid doors. Some acoustic treatments on the ceiling/walls are likely.

I currently have a Marantz SR5000 (70wpcx5) with an "older" CSW Ensemble system. A CSW CenterStage is my center speaker. The passive sub just won't work for HT and the satellites are going to another room in the house. I'd like to build around the Marantz and CSW Center, with plans to cycle them out in a year or two. Time to upgrade! :p

I found ACI as I searched for a good powered sub for my room, so let's start there. Can I get away with one Force in this room based on my desire to use it mostly for HT or should I be budgeting for the Titan? Or Maestro (Mike?)? I'll probably purchase sometime this summer.

For the mains, I'm leaning toward the Sapphires, but could be pushed to buy four Emeralds if they'll do the trick for HT and still satisfy my occasional music listening. If I do buy Sapphires for the front (and the Force will suffice for the Sub), I may be able to squeeze Emeralds in for the rear.

I haven't heard any ACI speakers yet, but the design and reviews seem like they're right up my alley.

I appreciate the advice!

Jim

-------------

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.

Daniel Boone

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your question is more than I can answer as I only have experience with the Sapphires and Force subs. This I can tell you - - - they are simply wonderful speakers both in sonic terms and quality terms. I am one picky audiophile, but this system is so extremely listenable.

If you can, by all means go for a pair of Sapphires as mains. They will serve your needs for both music and HT for many years. I would think they'd work pretty well with the Marantz, I've found them easy to drive.

I'm using a pair of Force subs but for HT I can see a single Titan as making sense.

I doubt you'll be very happy with your current center for long. Good match across the front is very important (at least to me). I'm sure you can get by for now, but plan for an Emerald or Essence center as soon as you can.

Last thought: I bought my Sapphires, then bought the subs. I wonder if you might not have some ability to negotiate price if you try to get a whole package now? Something like Sapphires, Titan, Emeralds for centers and rears and see what they can do for price on the whole deal. Just depends on your budget.

Last, I found the ACI gang pretty easy to work with. I'd definitely Email Mike D. directly for his recommendations. Everyone else is helpful but he's the real guy to go to for system recommendations and setup help.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a pair of Force subs but for HT I can see a single Titan as making sense
Don't quote me on this, for I am far from an expert, but I believe a dual Force setup will have greater output than a single Titan. The single Force alone is only 3db fewer output than the Titan if I'm not mistaken.

I would definately get the Sapphires for mains for I own them and they are just what I was looking for in a speaker. Detailed, never bright, smooth sounding. Not necessarily what I would call laid back, but ZERO listeners fatigue. Great recordings sound magical on these speakers, but if the source is flawed, these speakers will reproduce that in spades.

I am budgeting for an Essence center as we speak and plan to use two pairs of Emeralds in a 7.1 setup down the road.

In a room that large, I would probably decide to go with dual Force subs than a single Titan. You will have more flexibility in regards to setup and the increased output will help you in a room of that size.

I'm sure Mike D will chime in with his expert opinion.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harry/Evan - Thanks for your thoughts. I'll probably build around a pair of Sapphires and talk with the folks at ACI about dual Force vs. Titan vs. Maestro. You guys pushed me off the fence on the Sapphire/Emerald question. Good tip on the package deal - not sure if I can swing that in one fell swoop. we'll see whether the overall basement refinish comes in over/under budget.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jstorerj
Harry/Evan - Thanks for your thoughts. I'll probably build around a pair of Sapphires and talk with the folks at ACI about dual Force vs. Titan vs. Maestro. You guys pushed me off the fence on the Sapphire/Emerald question. Good tip on the package deal - not sure if I can swing that in one fell swoop. we'll see whether the overall basement refinish comes in over/under budget.
Hello:

Just to give you a frame of reference on differences, similarities between our subs;

The Force and Titan use the same electronics package. Each model has its own "personality card" which sets the exact parameters of tuning and protection circuits.

The Maestro will be our monster sub. It should have been shipping a long time ago, but details have taken a lot of time. June seems realistic for the first production run. The Maestro uses an electronics package that is based on the same platform as the Veritas, Talisman, and LFM. It is approx. 400 watts, and it incorporates our AWS (Adaptive Woofer System). AWS features two bands of parametric EQ to adjust the sub to the room.

I terms of physical size, the Titan is nearly twice as large as the Force, and the Maestro is nearly twice as large as the Titan.

All three subs are designed to have the same sonic characteristics. Within their output capabilities, they'll sound essentially the same with the exception that the Maestro is really not suited to crossover points higher than about 80Hz, but the Force and Titan can be successfully crossed over between 100-120 if needed. And of course the Maestro's AWS system will allow the user to tune out one or two dominant room response peaks.

If we use the Titan as the basis for output level, a single Force will be about 3db less in output. A pair of Force will be about 3db greater output than a single Titan. The Maestro has approx. 11db greater output capability than a Titan. That is almost like running four Titans together!

Hope this info helps, feel free to contact me for specifics in exploring options for your system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.