Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Back in 1998 I seen (for the first time) a front projector.

It was a SharpVision LCD and was about $5000.00 Canadian.

I really loved the huge size of the picture (4:3, Nascar racing).

Then the guy put on a DVD (Fifth Element) and it was in 16:9.

He drastically reduced the screen size, I'd say to about 70 inches

diagonal. Now I remember this all too well-- screendoor.

I had never seen screendoor before and once I had layed my eyes

upon those thick white checkerboard-like lines that ran through the

introduction of the movie, I swore that I would never ever be able to

own a device that had such a thing.

So I bought myself the first 32 inch XBR VVega. Extremely happy with it.

And then about six months ago I purchased a 57 inch Toshiba HX81 widescreen TV. In less than a week I returned the TV becuase it had ghosting, really bad ghosting. Everything had an outline.

It has been a while that I have been without a tv. And I have been a reader of this forum for about two years. The AE100 is $2500 cheaper

than what I paid for my 57" Toshiba.

I would like to purchase the projector but I don't know what the screendoor issue is like in the year 2002. Has it improved at all?

I'll probably defocus the AE100 like others have done.

My seating distance from the screen will be 12 FEET.

I will mount the pj close as possible to the screen.

I would be happy with a 60" widecreen screen. (Is this to small?)

So at that distance and at that diagonal width (12 FEET, 60 INCH SCREEN)

what can I realistically expect.

My goal is too eliminate, or get as little screendoor as I possibly can.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Derek Swanson
white checkerboard-like lines that ran through the

introduction of the movie
White? They always looked black to me :)

The post above is a pretty good example but, you can also read into people varying their viewing distance to reduce the obviousness of the screendoor. I sit about 1.6 screenwidths away and though I can see the screendoor, I defocus it a bit and it is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link elgaic. Judging by these picture, I have nothing to worry about. The screendoor I had seen in 1998 is not the screendoor of today.

>>White? They always looked black to me :) (Namlemez)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
A 60" wide screen viewed from 12' (144") is 2.4x... you will see very, very little screendoor at that viewing distance. I view my 74" wide screen from 9' (1.5x)... and require a defocus, which make the screendoor unintrusive (to me) when viewing at that distance.

Last night, I had guests over viewing Fifth Element Superbit (oh, wow! :) ) and viewed from very close to the screen (1x ). Sure screen door was highly visible, but I've gotten over the issue and was amazed at how good the picture looks.

The combination of a superbit DVD, RGB signal, Hoya filter and masking made for an incredible viewing experience. I'm a relatively critical viewer (but by no means a videophile) and have spent a lot of time getting an picture that's acceptable to me, and I've finally achieved it. Everything was right last night... screendoor is the final obstacle (esp. when viewed at 1x).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I saw the AE 100 yesterday; at the local Media Market-WOW it looks…Bad. I don’t think I will ever talk my wife into buying it now. Why? S-video, PAL no less, 4:3 Shrek, high ambient light, and right next door to a high lumen DLP. Screen door was VERY apparent from 8 feet away. There was actually finger print grease on the lens….

My Question is this…do all the tweaks really add up to produce a great picture?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeHotel
I saw the AE 100 yesterday; at the local Media Market-WOW it looks…Bad. I don’t think I will ever talk my wife into buying it now. Why? S-video, PAL no less, 4:3 Shrek, high ambient light, and right next door to a high lumen DLP. Screen door was VERY apparent from 8 feet away. There was actually finger print grease on the lens….

My Question is this…do all the tweaks really add up to produce a great picture?
Critical tweaks would certainly include cleaning the lens, viewing it in the dark, and viewing using an iScan (or a prog.scan DVD player at the least). That will improve the picture noticably.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Is the AE100 manufactered in a factory IN JAPAN? I imagine it is, but I am just curious to find out for sure.

·
Banned
668 Posts
Derek: My experience is much like yours, so hopefully my comments will be helpful.

About 4 years ago, the first projector that I tried in my house was a SharpVision. I can't remember the model number, but it was 640x480. From the advertisements and reviews, I thought I would like it, so I had my room wired, and a Sharp bracket installed on the ceiling.

But it turned out to be a major disappointment. At 11' from a 66" wide screen (2.0X), the screendoor was awful. The picture was washed out even in total darkness. And the blacks, well, a movie like Batman & Robin was unwatchable. And the color was awful. And the unit was big.

I returned the projector, and after trying a few other LCD projectors, I gave up, and bought a 32" XBR2. But I always wanted a bigge picture than 32", so last fall I bought the Toshiba 40H80 wide-screen HD-ready RPTV.

The picture on the 40H80 looked wonderful, especially from a progressive scan DVD. But then a friend took his new AE100 over to my house, and within 2 weeks, I got one.

Just based on specs, the AE100 should not look this good. For example, the resolution of 856x480 isn't that much better than the Sharp's 640x480, but at 2X, screendoor isn't an issue. I slightly defocuse, but then I also did that with the Sharp. At 12' from a 60" diagonal screen, it would be even less noticeable.

IMO the biggest improvement of the AE100 over the Sharp is that dark movies are watchable. It's not the nice contrasy blacks that I see on my 40H80, but it's good enough.

The strongest point of the AE100 is the color. It's natural out of the box, and a movie like Moulin Rouge or Fifth Element looks great. But even less vibrant indoor scenes look OK.

I am glad I made the move, but I also suspect that in a year or two, I will upgrade to a better front projector. But for now, I am satisfied.

And the fan noise is really low. I haven't ceiling mounted it yet, so it's less than 24" from my right ear, but it doesn't bother me the slightest.

I want to mention one major disadvantage: faint vertical banding. There are 2 types of vertical banding, but the one that bothers me is the one that is visible even with no signal input. Because it is all over the picture, it looks like video noise. I did not see this at first, but once I saw it, it bothered me. However, it doesn't bother my friend, even though it's on both of our projectors. It's more noticeable during bright scenes (e.g sky), and unnoticeable during dark scenes. I am going to try a FL-D filter, others have reported that it helps.

As to the screen size question, I find that 11" from a 66" wide screen is just right. However, this is my personal preference, my friend prefers something bigger from that same distance.

And there is definitely a noticeable improvement using a transcoder as opposed to component. I best way to describe it is that the picture looks crisper. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. And a transcoder is cheap (I paid approximately US$150 for the Audio Authority when shipping is included), even though you must feed it with a progressive source.

I have decided to sell my 40H80. While it has a sharper and crisperer picture (especially dark scenes), the overall experience of the AE100 is better.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Why would someone sort of imply the AE100 is not good because they saw it set up by someone whoobviously has no clue what they're doing? It's not like all our AE100s came with grease on the lens. Sheesh.

Anyway, the AE100 looks fantastic. It's sick that the thing is that cheap.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
ABCD--- try the HOYA FLD filter... it will improve the banding noticably. In fact, I could not see the banding with the filter in place, until I really, hunted for it. When I removed the filter, it was readily noticable.

Get the HOYA FLD from the US ( I couldn't find a local dealer who could get one... maybe Vistek.ca can) it's much better than a Tiffen lens (available at Henrys) You should be impressed!

This filter should come standard with every AE100 that is shipped. It improves the picture markedly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.