AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this TV for about a week now. So Far I am Very Happy with the set, but have a few questions.

1) I have ordered the Avia disk. I am having a bunch of people over to the house this weekend. Has anyone found a good setting on his or her TV’s? I am looking to set up the TV before I get the disk, and impress friends that will be over for the party. I am interested in the DVD settings. I have an interlaced Panasonic DVD-A120, plugged into HD 1 with some monster component cables. I have read somewhere to start with the movie setting and go from there?? Looking for settings on Color, warmth, film vs video any and all would be helpful.

2) My TWC analog Cable looks absolutely horrid. Any channel over 40 looks like a snowstorm. My old 27 inch TV looks OK not great but OK. I am on “the waiting list†for their HD STB. Anyone find good settings on their TV’s for Analog cable? ANT1. Looking for the same settings as with the DVD player, question 1.

3) My Playstation 2 is hooked up to Video1. Using Monster cable S-Video. I have noticed the picture is off by about 2 inches to the right?? Anyone else seen this? I have tried to connect the playstation with the standard cables and saw the same effects. Anyone tried to tweak their setting on Video1 with any game systems?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Scott,

I am still awaiting delivery of my 34HF81, but perhaps I can help a little with a couple of your questions.

1. see this thread for some Avia-suggested settings. Note that "ideal" settings can vary by set. Also, use the Movie setting and set it to film if you are showing film-based DVDs to ensure that inverse 3-2 pulldown is enabled.

2. I would start with the same DVD settings and only play with the sharpness levels. You might want to see if using Movie mode helps, as the other modes' use of SVM may add artificial enhancement that, in combination with a line-doubled noisy source, may look poor (GIGO). If the cable program is not film-based, set it to video mode to eliminate additional processing.

3. sorry, can't help, sounds like a bit of overscan.

Dewi

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's correct, Dewi, I have boosted sharpness from the original settings and now also have preferred settings for DVD that are slightly different. Here's what they now look like, arranged in the correct Toshiba order:

AVIA-calibrated settings for Toshiba 34HF81 (TV, DVD)

Contrast: 60, 60

Brightness: 50, 60

Color Saturation: 42, 42

Tint: -10, -12

Sharpness: 50, 50

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Thanks for the replies. Sorry to bother you guys again, but what is the SVM? Is that the line doubler? Also as far as the 3-2 pulldown on movies mode for watching "film-based DVDs"... I thought all DVD's where film based? Sorry to sound so slow. This is all very new to me. I am just looking to get the most out of my new HDTV and try to show others the advantages. Thanks Again. Scott:confused: :D

·
Registered
686 Posts
SVM is scan velocity modulation. It's a "feature" designed to make sets look good in a showroom by exaggerating contrast at light/dark edges. Most videophiles turn it off with extreme prejudice.

Not all DVDs are 24 fps film based, although most movies are. A DVD containing a shot-on-video TV show wouldn't need/want 3:2 pulldown, for example.

Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Scott,

SVM=Scan Velocity Modulation. A good explanation of this can be found here . Apparently, Toshiba's Movie mode turns SVM off or at least reduces its effects. See this for a tip on determining whether SVM is on or not using Avia.

You are right, most DVD movies are film based. However, there are some DVDs that are based on material that was shot on video (such as some concert footage). If you are wondering what a particular DVD's source material is, you can do a title search at IMDB and click on "DVD details" on the left hand side of the results page to find out.

Dewi

EDIT: sorry for the duplicate info, Bob was a little quicker than me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
To any of you who have the 34hf81. A quick question if I may. What is the back of the set like in regards to size? I am awaiting delivery and am working on the cabinet. Does the back narrow down in back or is it square. I am trying to figure our how large of a whole I have to cut in the back of my cabinet. Thanks very much. As I am working on it today your reply is appreciated.

Thanks Ed Weatherby

You can also email direct at [email protected] or call collect at 805-434-2974.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm also in the market for the 34HF81 and just took my first look at it it this afternoon at Best Buy. The picture was just lovely, I was astounded to see they had it hooked to component input and nicely adjusted (movie, warm, etc.) Input was (I assume) from DVD, and it looked quite filmlike, although the lighting in the area was atrocious.

The Tosh wasn't next to the Sony XBR2 or Panasonic WX50 I wanted to compare it to, but walking back and forth, I thought the picture was easily their equal or better. Certainly the detail seemed better: the shadow mask was definitely finer than the Panny; hard to compare to a Trinitron tube, though.

Also I must admit I didn't adjust the other sets much, so these weren't exactly laboratory conditions.

Ed, to answer your question, the Tosh has a very wide rear end I'm afraid, almost as wide horizontally as the front. It does slope down vertically quite a bit. Still sexy though.

You can get a better idea from the attached picture (it's from the Best Buy site).

Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bob,

Somehow that picture doesn't look right, it may be a picture of another set that was provided pre-production. I too am awaiting delivery of the 34HF81, so I can't give precise measurements, but I also had to modify my cabinet so I did take a close look at the back of the set in the store. I think it slopes down only slightly, so you will need an opening that is about 21.5" high in the back (please don't start cutting based on this number -- it's only an estimate!). Contrary to how that picture looks, the bottom part of the set is actually not as deep as the top part -- it's notched out where the A/V connections are. I'll try to take another look at my local store and will post again if someone else can't confirm this.

Dewi

EDIT: I took another look at the set at the store. The posted picture may well be the 34HF81, but the angle of the shot distorts the fact that, as I suggested earlier, the top part of the TV is deeper than the bottom part. The back of the tube overhangs the lower part (where the A/V connections are made) by a few inches. Also the picture doesn't show that, although the top section of the tube narrows more sharply than the bottom, it only slopes down a little from front to back, meaning that the height measurement is only a few inches less in the back than in the front. I guess you'll know what I mean when you see it (oh for a digital camera!).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hole I cut in the back of my entrainment center was 25 inches wide x 24 inches long. This all depends on the depth of your entrainment center. I think if doing over again, I would have angled the top at about 45-degree angles (in the corners) maybe not that much. If I look at the TV in the stand now, I could have cut maybe a sort an upside down U shape over the top. The back of the TV slopes so... it is had to guess what size hole to cut not knowing how deep the entrainment center is. Not sure if this makes any sense, Hope this helps.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the posts all. Boy it sure is hard to tell without seeing it. The picture helped but now I am not sure that is exactly the model. I better wait and just see for myself. If anyone else has any further input please let me know. Again thanks to all of you for your help.

Ed Weatherby

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you read my postings about my 34HF81, please don't take it to mean I dislike the set. I'm impressed with the picture (minus the blob) as very well mannered. I ran the Avia setup today and starting with Movie, I ended up with a Contrast number that was 25 points above the default of 50, Brightness that was 5 points down, at 45, Color that was up to 55, and Tint at 0. The last one surpised me as I felt that the set had a blueish cast to it. However, using the filters in the Avia DVD, that's what the setup screens yielded. I set the Sharpness to 60, but the default of 50 would have been fine as well. One last note: this was in the afternoon; the room was brighter than it would be during normal viewing, so I'll have to run through it again.

After I did this, I ended up watching the first half of The Phantom Menace and I was much happier with the presentaion. This set rocks when it comes to watching DVDs!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yes, the photo I posted is the 34HF81. The "34H81" designation on the Best Buy site must be a typo--AFAIK, there is no such beast. Sorry, I should have given mentioned that. Here's the link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=25&e=11085303

I saw the set today and it looked identical to the photo, except it had lettering saying "Theaterwide HD" and "SRS WOW" that aren't on any photos I've seen. I could have done without the lettering. (Hmm, didn't look like peel-off labels, but I didn't actually check...)

I didn't make any measurements, but I think a rear cutout would have to be roughly 30" wide by 18" high. All depending on how much of the set must protrude through the cutout, of course.

Here's a question I have for those who own the set. A minor annoyance I noticed while studying it were two tiny notches at the left and right of the screen, at the vertical center (Foxbat--are these the blobs you mentioned??) Not a big deal, but it would be nice to reduce the overscan enough to place the picture inside those notches.

My question is, how much control will I have over horizontal/vertical width and centering? I didn't explore the menu enough to find out. Since others here have mentioned correcting tilt without having to enter a service menu, I'm assuming those settings are available as well. Not that I'm afraid of a service menu, mind you... :)

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Whitefield
I saw the set today and it looked identical to the photo, except it had lettering saying "Theaterwide HD" and "SRS WOW" that aren't on any photos I've seen. I could have done without the lettering. (Hmm, didn't look like peel-off labels, but I didn't actually check...)
They're not, but the lettering is practically invisible in normal room lighting.
Quote:
I didn't make any measurements, but I think a rear cutout would have to be roughly 30" wide by 18" high. All depending on how much of the set must protrude through the cutout, of course.
The front of the set is 33.5"W x 24.5"H and keeps those dimensions going back 7.5". After that, the sides taper in to 24"W at the rear. The top tapers down to 22". From the side, the set has an almost square profile. The depth is 24" at the top, 22" at the bottom.
Quote:
Here's a question I have for those who own the set. A minor annoyance I noticed while studying it were two tiny notches at the left and right of the screen, at the vertical center (Foxbat--are these the blobs you mentioned??) Not a big deal, but it would be nice to reduce the overscan enough to place the picture inside those notches.
Bob, my set has those notches, but they are not related to my color purity issue. In fact, I bet you have those "notches" on your computer's CRT (unless it's a Trinitron).
Quote:
My question is, how much control will I have over horizontal/vertical width and centering? I didn't explore the menu enough to find out. Since others here have mentioned correcting tilt without having to enter a service menu, I'm assuming those settings are available as well. Not that I'm afraid of a service menu, mind you... :)
Tilt is adjustable from the main setup menus. The HSIZE, HPOS, VSIZE, and VPOS are accessable from the service menu, but I've only verified that I can get in, I haven't tried to mess around with the geometry. Maybe the day before I get my replacement.:D
Quote:
Thanks,

Bob
You're welcome

·
Registered
686 Posts
Foxbat, thanks for all the good info.

Quote:
Bob, my set has those notches, but they are not related to my color purity issue. In fact, I bet you have those "notches" on your computer's CRT (unless it's a Trinitron).
As it happens, my home and work CRTs are Trinitrons, so I guess that's why I've never noticed this notch thing.

Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you view a DVD through the component inputs, can you zoom the image so that there are no black bars top and bottom (including anamorphic DVDs formated at 1.85/1 - I have a Pioneer DV-37 PS player)?

Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been comparing the tosh and panny 34's at ABT. I haven't yet gotten enough time to come to any conclusions, but I did have a question. I have read other threads that bring up some geometry problems in the tosh- that horizontal lines tend to bend towards the center of the screen- has anyone noticed any problems on their set?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've heard that most large flat-screen sets have some degree of geometry problems. The Panasonic 34WX50 allows geometric adjustment without going into the service menu. Don't know what options the Toshiba has, can any owners comment?

The reason I'd hesitate on the WX50 is that the design is two years old, and Panny is reportedly coming out with a new model soon, one with HDTV tuner built in. I think I'm going to wait to see it before making a decision, but will probably get the Tosh anyway, for money reasons.

Lots of opinions on the Panny here:

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/H...ct_48016.shtml

But audioreview, despite repeated requests, can't be bothered to add the 34HF81.

Bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.