AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I've recently upgraded my 5.1 setup in the living room, so that means that the old receiver and a pair of the speakers I had in there are now being transplanted into my 14 X 16 foot bedroom, primarily for use for PC gaming in a 2.0 setup. I am thinking about getting an inexpensive little sub for my room to add a little thump to games and a little music, and after a couple hours of looking around, I like what I'm seeing with these smaller Dayton subs. Physically, I only have one real place a sub can go in the room, which is in the front right corner (terrible placement methodology, I know, but this isn't an audiophile setup in this room, and it doesn't have to be perfect.) I can fit either the Sub-800 or the Sub-1000 in this spot. The price difference is negligible, so I guess what I'm wondering is if one or the other would be a better match/blend for my equipment. My goal here is not to turn the volume up very high at all, but to fill in the lower frequencies that the speakers just can't handle.

My bedroom receiver: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-6090_black__u/?mode=model

My bedroom desktop speakers: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_6_3/paradigm-titan-speakers.html

My first instinct is to go with the 10" sub, because it wouldn't have to work quite as hard to move the same volume of air as the 8" sub. However, I don't know if the 10" would be too overpowering for the small speakers. I also have a neighbor in the apartment below me, and I don't want to be rattling her silverware, so that makes me wonder if I should stick with the 8" sub (or just get the 10" sub and keep the volume on it low.) For anyone who has heard either of these subs, what size room do you think they are best suited for, and which would you recommend if you were in my situation? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
No. The 10" would not be overpowering. You simply turn the gain (volume) down on the back of the sub to match the speakers during your initial setup.

I would go with the 10" because (a) better to have the extra headroom if needed and (b) it should dig a little deeper in frequency response.

Reactions: unretarded

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of how I was leaning already, but thanks for the good reasoning. I just figured out that they are pretty much the same price shipped. The 8" is $105 and the 10" is $109. Even more reason to go with the 10" sub! It will arrive on Friday, and I'll report back on how it is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Awesome. I bet that setup will sound sweet. I used to have Paradigm Phantom V1s, which I think might be the predecessor of the Titans. Good speakers

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got a dedicated sound card with an optical out this week, and it already sounds a lot better than the onboard sound did (was using a phono to RCA adapter.) The sub will (hopefully) just fill out the sound. I hope my downstairs neighbor doesn't hate me!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the 10" today. It's pretty much what I'd hoped for, although it has a weird flaw. The RCA input is too shallow to accommodate cables with longer prongs (like Monster cables.) You just can't push the cable in far enough for it to stay on or to make a connection. Ended up using a cheap RCA cable which fit fine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No. The 10" would not be overpowering. You simply turn the gain (volume) down on the back of the sub to match the speakers during your initial setup.

I would go with the 10" because (a) better to have the extra headroom if needed and (b) it should dig a little deeper in frequency response.
Thanks! I'm in a similar situation as OP. The 10" will stick out a bit more in my small bedroom and I do have downstairs neighbors, but I think it's worth the risk! :)

Got the 10" today. It's pretty much what I'd hoped for...
Glad it's working out for you and thanks for the thread. I'm piecing together a 5.1 setup and the Yamaha RX-V381 and Micca MB42X fronts came in today. I'm surprised just how low they go!

Any complaints from your neighbors?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts