AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the HD modulator for my 5000 shortly. I have an antenna, Panny STB, and HD1000 recorder already hooked up. After I install the modulator and extra bird pointed to 61.5, I am not sure how to 1. watch OTA 2. record satellite. I understand that there is not seamless integration between the 5000 and the Panny STB.

You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is seamless. The modulator puts out a standard 8-VSB HDTV signal on channel 3 or 4 and the Panasonic STB treats it like any OTA HD signal. Just subscribe to HBO and Showtime with DISH and you get them plus one PPV HD channel. Enjoy!

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts
If you are referring to the info ("seamless operation") in the 5000 instructions, your system is in non-seamless mode.

Dish had planned to provide codes for different HDTV sets that you could program into the 5000, which would then use an IR emitter to tell the HDTV if it was in HD or regular program mode. It essentially would do the switching for you.

As it is now, the 5000 w/HD modulator does not pass any (except for two or three channels with DD audio) standard channels, you must switch your system manually from HD mode to standard TV and visa-versa.

For what ever reason, Dish never provided additional codes, except for the two sets mentioned (Phillips & Mitsu) in the instruction book. I have called them more than once about this and no one at Dish seems to understand what I am asking about.

If anyone who is reading this is running a 5000 in "seamless" mode, I would be very interested in hearing just how well, or not, this works.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 03-16-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.