AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase the NEC LT150 real soon and have a couple of questions.

1. I currently have a Pioneer Elite DV-05 DVD player and understand you need to use a progressive scan DVD player with this. My question is can I keep the Pioneer and use an external line doubler/scaler or will I be much better off going with the Panasonic RP91? As far as external stuff goes, I have looked into the iScan Pro, Focus Quad Scan Elite, and Crystal Image. I will be using the LT150 for 99.9% DVD viewing and will VERY occassionally watch something on cable. Bang for the buck is a definite priority here but do not object to spending a little more if it is really the best thing to do.

2. Also due to my application I will probably need an audio transparant screen. I am going to have to build it myself and understand that the DaLite AudioVision is the only material that you can buy by itself. Is anyone using this with the LT150 or similar product and what is your impression of it?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ken

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I don't know much about perforated screen as I've never own one. I do know that Panasonic RP91 is well-received by LT150. RP56 may be a better bang for buck as it has similarly good progressive output on LT150. The main difference if I remember reading the specs correctly is that the RP56 has only optical audio output where the RP91 has both coaxial and digital. RP91 has more feature but for DVD playback both units are very good progressive players. RP56 can be had for $250 or less www.onecall.com was one dealer that had it instock. RP91 will be around $450-500. Iscan Pro will run you $1K new ($700 used) and Iscan Plus V2 will be around $500 new ($350 used). Iscan plus V1 can be had used for $200. I believe the Pro does component, V2 and V1 only do 2 Svideo and composite. Check www.dvdo.com for details on specs as I can't remember totally. People have had good results with Iscan Pro although Quadscan is better for more money. Bang-for-buck wise it seems to me to go for Panny RP56 and forget outboard deinterlacer/scaler if you are watching 99.9% DVDs. The outboard deinterlacer/scaler is best for satellite, VHS, and other sources (switching between sources too).

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Allow me to jump in with a few more questions...

If I want to use this projector with a 16:9 screen and take advantage of the added resolution of anamorphic discs, what is the minimum setup I need (again, assume 99% DVD watching)? I would want to be able to watch anamorphic DVD's using the full 16:9 screen, letterboxed DVD stretched to fit the 16:9 screen (granted, at poorer resolution), and 4:3 discs in a 4:3 window centered in the 16:9 screen.

Aside from moving the projector back and forth, can one of those DVD players that you mentioned handle this or would I need an iScan. And, if I need an iScan, would I need the Pro model (I believe the Plus V2 supports the squeeze option, which is what I think I'd need)? Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ken,

From what I have learned, you don't want to use a

perforated screen with a DLP or LCD projector. At some point the pixels will line up with the holes on the screen and it affects the picture quality. I would recommend another solution. I'm not using a perforated screen with my LT150 so I can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Scott, the progressive player simply stretches the anamorphic discs and the LT150 will squish the image to be perfect on 16:9 section of its 4:3 panel. Thus it'll look great on 16:9 screen granted there'll be black letterbox bars on top and bottom which can be hidden by black felt/cloth masking as it's not truely black (very very dark gray). For 4:3 sources, LT150 has a "native" resolution mode where it'll reduce the image in size to fit in middle of 16:9 screen with again exposed top, bottom, and sides, but the image will be sharper and better as image is smaller. This is provided you use component progressive and breakout cabling (VGA to component) which allows you to control aspect and resolution. If you use HTPC all this can be done via HTPC with Powerstrip and/or YxY.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am also planning on picking up a LT150 in the next couple of weeks but I am looking at the new JVC XVFA95GD 7-disc dvd-a player. Just wondering if anybody had tried this combo and if they play well together. Anyone know of a place that sells both? It seems everyplace that sells this projector doesn't really carry dvd players.

Greg

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Huey, so I would just need a DVD player with a component progressive output and some sort of modified breakout cable (I'll do a search on that, as I'm sure it's been discussed).

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like displaying a 4:3 image centered within a 16:9 screen is a feature built into the LT150 and has nothing to do with the DVD player.

Does this mean that I could also display cable/DirecTV 4:3 images centered within the 16:9 screen without the need for an iScan? Thanks again,

Scott

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know of three ways to display a 4:3 image from a stand-alone DVD player on a 16:9 screen with the LT150:

1. Change the LT150 aspect ratio to normal and move the projector closer to the screen every time you want to watch a 4:3 DVD.

2. Use S-Video and set the resolution to native on the LT150 (sacrificing progressive scan from the DVD player on 4:3 DVDs).

3. Use a DVD player that has aspect ratio control like the RP91.

Any other ways?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
4) Use component progressive and aspect control (cinema mode) and resolution (native mode) should be available. Even RGB (VGA) connection can have these modes if you use RS232 (Serial) control codes from HTPC.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
native mode cannot be used if you use component progressive. Native mode is only available for interlaced inputs EDIT: and VGA/RGB.

------------------

/frode

[This message has been edited by Frode (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I believe there has been some discussion about Native mode being usable in RGB mode through the use of some sort of hack (connecting via the RS232 port).

The more I search on these forums and the more I read, the more I get confused about all of this.

Let me ask another question: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

If I use a 16:9 screen, a progressive DVD player, and project an anamorphic DVD onto this screen, it seems like I might have two options:

1) Set the projector's scaler to Auto. Set the aspect ratio to Cinema mode. The image will be upconverted from 480p to 768p and then "squeezed" to fit the screen. In "squeezing" it, is it scaling it back down again or doing something else altogether?

2) Set the projector's scaler to Native (via the hack). Set the aspect ratio to Cinema mode. The image will be stretched to fit the screen.

Wouldn't #2 be more desirable as there wouldn't be any negative effects of scaling? If so, wouldn't I be just as well off with the LT85, seeing as I'd only be using 480 lines of resolution, anyway? Again, I'm not taking future HDTV use into account here.

Please accept my ignorance as I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Scott

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Okay, please indulge me a second. This "native" mode -- is it displaying the NTSC image sort of "centered" on the DLP, so that the top, bottom and sides of the DLP element are not being used? Or does it do something fancy to shift the optics or something so that the full DLP resolution is brought to bear?

Thx.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Ken,

the biggest bang for your buck in HT right now, is an LT150 with a panasonic RP56 (about $250).

this is the combo i have and it is quite capabable of producing spectacular pictures, given decent software.

i think you would be more than satisfied at the results http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
599 Posts
Colchak,

you sugg, the rp56 to Ken for his situation.

as an aside, do you feel that a properly tweaked AVI player/WinDVD AudioFilter/DVD Genie setup is just as good to display a DVD signal onto the LT150 (which i have)?

I guess I'm asking that because if a RP56 is better, I'd just get that in addition to my HTPC who's primary purpose is timeshifting HDTV.

thx

------------------

Jaymer...

----------------

AccessDTV (antenna on digital input, Tivo on analog)

HTPC, P3 933 (still having DVD playing probs)

NEC LT150 (awesome)

Homemade Blackout cloth screen (from Joann's Fabrics, $6 per yard)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ken,

The Audio Vision material was one I checked out when I taped all of the samples in a Da-lite sample pack onto my home made screen using a sheet from Walmart.

With the sheet behind the perforated material, it looked great. (actually my overall 1st choice) Brighter and whiter than other material with the same gain rating. I think having the sheet there instead of holes improved the gain.

If you are definately going with a homemade perf. screen, you might want to try stretching the fabric and then stretching a sheet behind it with knockouts for the speakers. That way you might only have potential problems in small areas that would not be as noticable. Just a thought.

I don't know if there would actually be a noticable gain difference. Keep in mind I only had a small swatch.

By the way, I loved my LT-150 with my Toshiba 2109 interlaced DVD player through S-vid on a sheet when I first hooked it up. I like it even more using blackout fabric on a 60" x 80" screen and a 16 ft. breakout cable from "Bettercables.com". The picture is so good on some of the better DVDs that I can't imagine a progressive scan player doing much better. The Toshiba has an enhanced black mode that gives great blacks.

I have black felt to mask the 16 x 9 image, but haven't bothered to cut it down yet. Too busy enjoying the image as is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Huey, ckolchak, Steve101,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Steve, you answered one of my main questions. I have been very happy with my Pioneer DVD player. I will probably go this route first and see how I like the picture and upgrade from there. If I find the need to upgrade, will an outboard scaler with my DVD player do as good a job as the progressive scan DVD player will? Reason being if I need a progressive scan DVD player, I will probably go with the RP56 or the RP91 and get one of the less expensive scalers for sat/cable use in the future. Also, on my screen I am probably going to go with the 4:3 format and mask for widescreen movies. My question here is, does the LT150 do pretty much like my RPTV and show the 4:3 as full screen and black bars on the top and bottom on the widescreen formats (I really prefer it this way). I am pretty much stuck with the perf. screen because of my application. I will have my front left and right and center channel all behind the screen. Also, how are most people hooking up to the LT150 from their DVD players? I have pretty much every output available.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Ken, I'm glad I could help. I too am learning from these experts. LT150 will output like a RPTV with full panel for 4:3 and letterbox for 16:9. It can also squeeze 16:9 sources like the HDTV can. I think the RP56 or RP91 will do a slightly better job than Iscan/interlaced DVD player because of less signal degradation and noise interference of external connections and additional electronics. The RP56 uses Sage/Faroujda (spelling?) chip which is well known for it's deinterlacing ability. RP91 uses Genesis chip which is also good. I'm not sure what Iscan uses. The advantage of Iscan is ability to switch sources (2 svideo and 1 composite). Iscan pro will do component as well. Another tip is if you watch VHS at all I would splurge for a SVHS with Svideo out as image is much better than standard composite out of regular VCR. Plus composite input of LT150 is terrible. JVC HR3800 SVHS VCR can be as low as $130 (check price search engines)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Another question:

Would one of the DVD players mentioned above provide a noticeable improvement in picture quality over an interlaced player through an iScan?

Scott

·
Registered
363 Posts
It seems there is conflicting information about the ability to use native resolution with component video input. I wonder if the apparent conflict is due to different versions of LT150 firmware. I assume it is necessary to control the LT150 with a computer through a serial cable as Huckster described in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008518.html

I would appreciate help in verifying the following information:

1. Can your LT150 be set to native resolution with component video input?

2. If so, is aspect ratio control available with native resolution?

3. Does native resolution with component video avoid scaling artifacts?

4. What software are you using to control the LT150?

5. What is the date of manufacture of your LT150?

I would like to try using native resolution to avoid scaling artifacts with an RP91 DVD player connected to the component inputs of the LT150. I'm trying to determine if this is possible before I order a serial cable. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would agree that the LT-150 and the Panasonic RP56 is a great combo. The RP56 replaced a Sony interlaced DVD player and the difference is substantial. The hook-up however did go from composite to component with the switch.

I am very pleased with the LT-150 and my Grayhawk screen. From the front row distance of 14-15' there is no screen door or perforation visible.

[This message has been edited by mdleemd (edited 10-05-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.