AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not Scott but I feel inclined to mention something here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Xrayeyes, have you tried a htpc yet? You will not even be close to fulfilling this projector's potential without one. I watched Driven and Knight's tale over the last two evenings and oh my gosh were these movies bad. However, I had to sit through them because the picture quality was just stunning (especially Driven).

By the way, my brightness is right at default (50%) and my contrast is up around 70-75%.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
I have the VT540 hooked to the DVD by S-video.
Get thee immediately to either the Video Processors forum or the Home Theater Computers forum and start reading up on scalers and HTPC's. The only way to extract the maximum performance out of your VT540 is to send it images that have been scaled to its native 1024 x 768 resolution, and to feed those images through the VGA port. You will never acheive the full potential of the VT540 by using the s-video port.
Quote:
With this hookup, I did the Avia test disc and the contrast and brightness adjustments are about 40%. However, the image appears dull, especially in dark scenes. If you boost the contrast up to 75-80% the image looks better but doesn't pass the Avia tests. Did yours pass the test?
Yes, but remember, my projector was tuned for use with the VGA port. I only use the s-video and composite ports for the occasional laserdisc or VHS tape.
Quote:
Also, could you review the plug configuration for the component video. The old threads are no longer available.
Sorry, but I am definitely the WRONG person to ask about this topic. My one attempt to convert a RGBHV RCA-to-VGA cable to this purpose ended in abject and total failure... and as it turns out, I didn't need the cable since I now use DB15 VGA cables exclusively. I don't have the instructions anymore... hopefully someone else here in the forum still them. But really, get a scaler or HTPC, dude!

------------------
Sc>cc>oc>tc>tc> Gc>ac>mc>mc>ac>nc>sc>
Visit the Scooterplex
Let's hear it for Enterprise on HDNet!

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The pinout for component (YCbCr column) is on page E-38 of the VT540 manual (available online too). The picture is of the receiving female HD15 connector not the male connector you will be modifying! My cable had numbers just barely visible on the base plate. Just wiggle (wigggle?) the other pins with neadle-nose pliers until the release. This works perfectly for my UM 1000A to afford stretching of an HD signal to the full panel on the VT540.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Oh yeah... that's right; I forgot about that.

XRay, I will tell you what I did so that you don't make the same mistake and ruin a $50 cable for nothing: I pulled out the wrong pins because I forgot that the diagram, as Man E says, is of the female half of the connection... NOT the male part with the pins! I pulled out the mirror image wrong pins! D'oh!

Get an HTPC and you can save yourself the trouble (and you'll get a better picture than even a progressive-scan DVD player with component output).

------------------
Visit the Scooterplex

·
Registered
206 Posts
Scott,

I have the VT540 hooked to the DVD by S-video. With this hookup, I did the Avia test disc and the contrast and brightness adjustments are about 40%. However, the image appears dull, especially in dark scenes. If you boost the contrast up to 75-80% the image looks better but doesn't pass the Avia tests. Did yours pass the test?

Also, could you review the plug configuration for the component video. The old threads are no longer available.

Thanx.

·
Registered
423 Posts
E-38 it is, buy a generic RCA to VGA breakout cable, and pull all except pins 1,2,3,6,7,&8. If you want to buy my much more expensive 'official' NEC 'componentv' cable from me, I'll be glad to sell it to you.

I found the picture to be vastly improved with component compared to svideo. However, my VT540, at least, has significant overscan in svideo or component, 'cropping' the picture, something I was not aware of until trying RGB.

Using RGB input, either with an HTPC, or, as I'm doing, using an iScan pro, allows you to see the whole picture.

Anyone else aware of this?

[This message has been edited by drmyeyes (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Yes, I have noticed this when viewing S-VHS tapes and TiVo through the s-video input. Annoying, but not much that can be done for it (I don't have an HTPC video card compatible with DScaler, so don't even suggest it).

------------------
Visit the Scooterplex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.