AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a dynamic DSL connection with one computer on it right now. Dynamic meaning we have a different address every time we connect as opposed to a static connection. With a network, does there have to be a computer powered on all the time?

The way ours is set up, we have to connect to the DSL by running the program NTS EnterNet 300. How would a 4000 Replay connect since it doesn't have this software?

Couldn't the modem-based units be programmed to connect through a dial-up Internet connection for people that don't have Ethernets or a broadband connection?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
replay has said the phone modem will not be an option

i've never heard of that program - but with most cable/dsl services you can just buy a hardware router that will allow you to share your connection between multiple computers...the most popular is the linksys 4-port cable/dsl router which you can pick up for $50-$75 online

maybe someone else will have some more info on that program

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Your DSL is using a protocol called PPPOE ( PPP over Ethernet ).

My SWBIS DSL line uses it as well.

The Enternet 300 software sucks. I *WAS* using RASPPPOE, it's much more stable.

Now I have a Linksys BEFWS11R4 NAT Router (and wireless access point!). Linksys and many other NAT routers support PPPOE, so you can just set up a "simple" network.

You will need a device like this to use a Replay 4000. Your DSL modem will plug into the network port of this box at it would stay on all the time, reconnecting should your ISP drop you. The box will also act as a DHCP server, providing local IPs and nameservers to things on your local LAN. ( PC and Replay )

If you move to one ( and I would recommend it anyway, PPPOE sucks ) you'll uninstall the Enternet 300 software and just use the standard "obtain an IP from the network" setting. You'll put your SWBIS username/password in the router with a web browser and it will do all the work from then on.

BTW, the box also acts as a firewall. You'll need to open a port so the Replay 4000 can "send shows". It's not hard.

Robert

btw... I've had the same IP for 9 days now! No telling how many PC reboots I've had.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just installed a DLink 714 broadband router, and that too supports PPPoE. It's a nice unit with a 4 port switch, broadband port , a fairly strong firewall, serial port for external modem fallback (if your broadband service is out) AND built in wireless networking.

I finally added this in anticipation of the Replay4K, but I still haven't decided if I'm actually purchasing one.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I currently use a cable modem and Linksys router and have kept the same IP address for months. The router and cable modem is on a UPS so I expect nothing to change for quite some time. Even after a reboot, I usually get the same IP since the DHCP lease has not expired.

A potential problem with users of Verizon DSL (using PPPoE) just came to mind. A friend of mine uses the Linksys router and Verizon DSL in the Pittsburgh area. Even though the router is configured to keep the connection "alive", his IP changes every few days. I don't quite know the technical details but something tells me that since the connection is PPPoE instead of straight PPP, Verizon is able to dynamically change his IP at their discretion. (Pretty smart, if you ask me.)

I guess we'll have to wait and see exactly how this will affect the new Replay boxes. My bet is that the IP will have to be looked up at the router (not hard) then communicated to the person who wishes to send a show.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would think the changing IP will not matter.

Just get a router (linksys, Netgear (my favorite), Dlink, just make sure it can set up a PPPoE connection). Uninstall the PPPoE software on your PC before you set this up. Your PC does not need to be on for the Replay or any other device to connect.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You're missing the point. The user out there that wants to send you a program will need to know your address so that it can establish a connection to you to send the file. If your IP keeps changing, how is that kept up to date? My guess is that the Replay servers will record your current IP address every time you connect in (at least once a day). When the other user wants to send you a file, it will look up your address from the Replay server, then establish a direct connection to you and send the file. Of course there will be times when your address has changed since the last connection to the Replay servers, so there will likely be occasional failures, but trying it the next day will usually work.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You got it riker.

Worst case scenario, the receiving Replay owner would have to verify the current IP and tell the sender. Once a connection is established, things should work fine.

Maybe the replay unit will ping a central server every few minutes to keep its database updated? That would work wouldn't it?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Aren't we assuming that the replay *has* to know the IP of the computer it's sending way beforehand? I would think it's a database somewhere.. or it works like the peer-to-peer programs work. In otherwords, your Replay may update every so often to the net (which stores the name and IP).

OR maybe you have to just know the ID of the unit and associate a name with it in your list of contacts, then when it searches for that ID, it does so from a database that directs your replay to the replay you want to send to.

Wow.. im not sure if I made any sense.. but it's late and im tired.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NJChris
Aren't we assuming that the replay *has* to know the IP of the computer it's sending way beforehand? I would think it's a database somewhere.. or it works like the peer-to-peer programs work. In otherwords, your Replay may update every so often to the net (which stores the name and IP).

OR maybe you have to just know the ID of the unit and associate a name with it in your list of contacts, then when it searches for that ID, it does so from a database that directs your replay to the replay you want to send to.

Wow.. im not sure if I made any sense.. but it's late and im tired.
The assumption is that for two units to communicate, the IP address of the unit being contacted HAS to be known by either the contacting unit or a central database on the internet. The internet uses ONLY IP addresses so any other means of communication simply won't happen.

If there is a central database, it is imperative that it is kept up-to-date so that the ID of the unit matches the CURRENT IP address of the unit. A local list of contacts could only contain unit ID's which would have to then be translated into current IP's using the central database stored on the internet.

That's why the replays may need to constantly ping at certain intervals to communicate it's current IP address to the main database.

Unless I'm completely missing something, that would be the only elegant solution to this potential problem.

Anyone from Replay care to address how this is handled--since I assume it has already been handled?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
They could always use the Replay server as a storage buffer -- delivery wouldn't be immediate, you upload the file to the server, when the target replay connects it downloads... Sort of like an email server... do they ever say that program delivery is real time?

How did napster work around problems like this -- they were computer-to-computer connections, right? Did the IP address matter as far as that was concerned?

They could set up a recuring "ping" from the ReplayTV unit to the ReplayTV server "I am here" "I am here" "I am here" and when you send a file the other Replay could ask the Replay server where you are.

I can think of a number of ways to do it.

Joe

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My Netgear router has some feature where you can buy a name registration with some other party, and it'll communicate IP address changes to that party. I think it's called "Dynamic DNS" - www.dyndns.org

Interestingly, I think using such a service is against my (AT&T Cable) service agreement, although if you don't abuse it, I wonder how they'd even know.

It also does PPPoE.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i dont think you need to direct connect, dial in a tcpip.

i have a non routable static ip so no one can direct connect with me. yet i can aim, irc, and even try out peer to peer nap clones....

i would think that replay would have a 'server' providing the connecitons between the various units...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I'll bet it doens't even care about IP addresses - when you connect, it checks your serial # (just like now) and then decides if you have any programs pending from other users...
I assume the "it" you refer to is a central replay server. My bet is that Replay does not want (or is not able to) store actual programs that are queued for delivery to another unit like some sort of giant mail server.

The disk space requirements could grow substantially -- I doubt it would be worth it to them. The best solution is to have Replay simply maintain a database of serial #'s and IP addresses so it can instruct sending units on where to find destination units. In other words, the two 4000 units would be communicating directly as peers once they "find" each other.

Not meaning to repeat myself but the key to the whole thing would be to make sure the IP addresses in the database is up-to-date.

If anyone from Replay has info on how the show sending feature will be implemented, please let us know. My curiosity is getting the best of me now!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I originally assumed that they would be using a central server, but ther threads about the 4000's ability to send programs to remote machines have had messages from ReplayTV folks confirming that it sends directly from machine to machine. I'm not sure how they plan on dealing with customers that don't have static IP's (most broadband ISPs don't provide them unless you pay significantly extra, although IP's typically don't change very often).

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barmar
I'm not sure how they plan on dealing with customers that don't have static IP's (most broadband ISPs don't provide them unless you pay significantly extra, although IP's typically don't change very often).
That's my whole reason for asking for more information on how Replay handles this.

My original post in this thread explains that with my cable modem and Linksys, my IP doesn't change often at all but Verizon DSL users have IP's that DO change often (due to PPPoE?). Verizon is a pretty large carrier here in the East so this potential big problem needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrJoe
They could always use the Replay server as a storage buffer -- delivery wouldn't be immediate, you upload the file to the server, when the target replay connects it downloads... Sort of like an email server... do they ever say that program delivery is real time?
Yes, Replay folks have officially stated that it will be purely peer to peer, no central server involved.

Quote:
How did napster work around problems like this -- they were computer-to-computer connections, right? Did the IP address matter as far as that was concerned?
They didn't, that's why they got sued. The maintained a central server that kept track of everyone's files and connections. Therefore RIAA made a case against them that they were responsible or contributing to the piracy of copyrighted material. Many subsequent sharers like Morpheous or Gnutella were pure peer to peer which made them a little more insulated, but they are going to be attacked soon anyway, even if they win they will likely not be able to afford the legal costs.

Quote:
They could set up a recuring "ping" from the ReplayTV unit to the ReplayTV server "I am here" "I am here" "I am here" and when you send a file the other Replay could ask the Replay server where you are.
I was thinking that too, that they could do some sort of 'broadcast' every 1/2 hour or something. But that still wouldn't account for the folks that use dial-on-demand DSL, don't keep their computers on 24x7, have NAT or other blocking firewalls that don't permit connections, etc. Replay's help desk will likely be quite busy with calls from those folks. Unless no one actually USES the 2-day transfer of programs function :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just a thought, before I got a dsl link with a static ip address I had an @home cable modem with a dynamic ip address. With the linksys router the ipaddress normally stayed the same. But the thing that always stayed the same was the DNS name, so I just pointed all outside references to that.

-Bill

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
True. With my AT&T cable, my DNS name always seems to be the same, which is "h" followed by the MAC address of my PeeCee (which my NetGear router spoofs), followed, by .ne.mediaone.net, or something like that.

And, my IP address does seem to change on a fairly regular basis.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.